a better way to tell what the token is equiped with.

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Crabheart
Cave Troll

a better way to tell what the token is equiped with.

Post by Crabheart »

my biggest problem tearing me from pogs/top down is the equipment.

certain top downs are PERFECT! shield sword awsome!, and others that dont fill the gap. and make confuseing to my players.

and pogs have no refence whatsoever to the difference between one bugbear and the other.

im running the 2nd edition toee with 4th edition rules. so the monsters have lots of different weapons to vary them.

say for instence there are alot of bugbears. i go thru the module and write down all of different equipment bugbears are useing. mace,morningstar,shortword,sheild,platemail,chainmail, ect.

i then go into the official ddi monster builder and make a copy of the monster "bugbear warrior" whos melle attack is a mace. and weres only chain mail. then i search for powers other monsters of the same type use(bugbears,orcs ect.)for morning stars,shortsword ect. ddi automaticly calculates that attack as if the bugbear warrior was useing it.

Now the bugbear warrior has a list of all of the attacks it would use with other weapons, now for different types of armor/sheild, i will take account the extra bonuses to ac.

the only problem is, i cant remmber what each single bugbear in the dungeon dose, and i dont want to be clicking to look at the gm notes on evey bugbear to show the players what each monster is equiped with.

oooooook so heres my idea.
a set of small simple icons that can be placed on/next to the pog.

this entire set of icons was released for free by the creator -note: i dont recommend placeing non-equip on the pog, but it would be interesting to use for loot ect.

Raoden
Dragon

Re: a better way to tell what the token is equiped with.

Post by Raoden »

In a game focused on equipment-friendly critters (i.e. the monsters are mostly humanoid) and simple inventories (not like D&D 3e), this could be really cool. Exploring the idea more definitely has merit.

I don't know if you'd want to use TokenTool for it, though. Seems like you might be better off adding each kind of equipment in as a Token State of the "grid image" type, so you can turn those little equipment pictures on/off dynamically.

That also touches on my biggest concern with a system like this: If you have little pictures like that all over your token, it may be hard to see any other information like States that your framework uses.
"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed."
- G. K. Chesterton

Wonderful HTML/CSS reference * Color Manager * Token Manager 2.0

Crabheart
Cave Troll

Post by Crabheart »

perhaps off to the side?

its really for the basic slots. left arm. right arm. body.
and if your humanoid you can useualy only hold a torch in one hand in something elese in the other.
so that slot will be taken by the torch, unless your weapon is a glove, but even then you have to drop your torch to throw a good punch.

i was thinking about the token maker at first, but it dose seem much more reasonable in maptools.
possibly only visible if you scroll over it.
Attachments
sample2.png
sample2.png (37.58 KiB) Viewed 3881 times

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

The statsheet would be another good place to put this info, but currently I don't know of any way to put a picture into the statsheet. And I have a concern that with too many images it would be tough to remember what each one means.

You could use the Handout feature but players need to be able to select the token in order to right-click and choose Show Handout (IIRC).

Crabheart
Cave Troll

Post by Crabheart »

hmm. i think its good to have it on the token. and the size of these icons are tiny anyways.
and for humanoids you only need 3 per token(lefthand,righthand,armor). So if token builder had 3 pulldown lists of weapons/armor that would relay to the three slots that would then relay to the icon to that area.

sooooooo when you put it all together you only have 1 image.

these are the only real ones you need from that huge list. the only things i can notice are missing
regular,light,hand crossbows. wands,rods,orbs,holysymbol. a longbow, picks, warhammer, sicle, sling,

thats about it. and i have experience as a pixle artist. if you willing to go thru with this i will draw out each weapon not shown here. or draw everything in a smaller sillouete form
Attachments
icons.png
icons.png (17.41 KiB) Viewed 3872 times

twister
Kobold

Post by twister »

I really like the weapons here that you've posted.

Return to “TokenTool”