Tokentool does not load in Windows 7 64-bit

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Auspician
Kobold

Tokentool does not load in Windows 7 64-bit

Post by Auspician »

I've used tokentool for years, on multiple different machines and OSes, but this is the first time I've had an issue. When I attempt to load the tokentool .jar file I get an error message: Unable to launch the application.

Details:

CouldNotLoadArgumentException[ Could not load file/URL specified: D:\WINSYS~1\Temp\javaws3]
at com.sun.javaws.Main.launchApp(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Main.continueInSecureThread(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Main$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Could someone provide some insight here? Because it is not an executable file, I'm unable to tell Windows 7 to run it in administrator mode or in compatibility for a previous OS like I usually would with seemingly incompatible programs.

Please note, I run maptool reguarly and have no issues, and have investigated the possibility of the problem being java based and came up with nothing. Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: Tokentool does not load in Windows 7 64-bit

Post by Azhrei »

Sounds like you're using Web Start (based on the javaws package name in the error message).

I use Web Start for TokenTool and haven't seen a problem, so it must be something specific to your setup. Perhaps that long directory name compressed into the shorter DOS-compatible name is the issue? You could try grabbing the ZIP download, extract it, and try running that one.

If that affects your results, please post back here. If it suddenly works, then something weird is going on and I'd like to determine what!

Auspician
Kobold

Post by Auspician »

Thanks for the reply Azhrei; I redownloaded the zip file and ran it directly, same problem. Extracted the zip file to another location, tried again, same problem.

Based upon what you said with the long directory name I decided to uninstall and reinstall java in the C:/Java directory. Doing that makes it so I no longer get the error message, but tokentool simply does not load. I double-click the .jar file and get the hourglass like it is working, but nothing happens even after several minutes and I don't detect any program activity in task manager.

Suggestions?

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Auspician wrote:Thanks for the reply Azhrei; I redownloaded the zip file and ran it directly, same problem. Extracted the zip file to another location, tried again, same problem.

Based upon what you said with the long directory name I decided to uninstall and reinstall java in the C:/Java directory. Doing that makes it so I no longer get the error message, but tokentool simply does not load. I double-click the .jar file and get the hourglass like it is working, but nothing happens even after several minutes and I don't detect any program activity in task manager.

Suggestions?
Sounds like the reinstall did not work correctly. Did you REBOOT after the "uninstall"? If not, then you need to do it again as Windows is probably not finding the java executable(common issue with the bad Sun installer or windows itself??)
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Auspician
Kobold

Post by Auspician »

I will have to try rebooting. Maptool continues to function normally after the uninstall, however, so I'm unsure if the two may or may not be connected. I'll try uninstalling Java again, rebooting, reinstalling java, rebooting, and then see if it works at that point. I'll keep you posted, and thanks again for the feedback.

Return to “TokenTool”