Dynamic Tokens?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Baby Steps
Kobold

Dynamic Tokens?

Post by Baby Steps »

Is there a way to make a top-down token that changes its image when you turn it? I'd like to use an overworld game sprite as the token, but it would need to change which sprite it has loaded when it looks left/up/down.
---Enough of them will take you where you want to go---

jfrazierjr
Deity

Re: Dynamic Tokens?

Post by jfrazierjr »

Baby Steps wrote:Is there a way to make a top-down token that changes its image when you turn it? I'd like to use an overworld game sprite as the token, but it would need to change which sprite it has loaded when it looks left/up/down.
No. And I would doubt that anything like this is coming in 1.4, or even whatever is after that unless there is a large need for this.

You could sort of fake it I think using Wiki: onSelectionChange() event hooked into call Wiki: getFacing() and then Wiki: setTokenImage() functions I would bet.. but I don't really have experience with the macro language enough to know how much work it would take.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Do you not want the rotate the image, but change it? Top down image will rotate image when you change the facing. Are you going for a 3d effect? ie show the character back when going north? You can change by simply changing the facing (no event handler for that), but you could write a macro to set the image based on facing. So, you would first change your facing, then click the macro.

You would need to create a table for the different facings. Let's say you have 8. Because facing goes from -179 to 180 you can take the facing value and divide by 45 and round. Your image table indexes will go from -4 to 4 where -4 = 4 image.

One special note, because you're using top down, you would have to rotate the image saved so when MT rotates the image it will appear in the correct orientation. You can set it to circle to avoid that, but then you would have the yellow arrow.

Baby Steps
Kobold

Post by Baby Steps »

I'll probably just end up using normal Tokens, since it's so much easier, but I might look into some of those event handlers. Thanks for the feedback.
---Enough of them will take you where you want to go---

Return to “TokenTool”