Unable to Download??

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Cruise105
Kobold

Unable to Download??

Post by Cruise105 »

I downloaded the Token Tool in an attempt to create my own map for my table top adventure. However there is no application file included in the download. There are only JAR files. Did I download the wrong thing, if so I don't see how, it was one of the only three on the website. I have never used this tool before but have watched the tutorial vidoes, and I'm really looking forward to getting started. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Phergus
Deity

Re: Unable to Download??

Post by Phergus »

TokenTool isn't used to create maps. It is used to create tokens. MapTool is used for maps.

Just double-click on the tokentool*.jar file and it should run. May take a few seconds before you see anything.

If you don't get the TokenTool window after a few seconds or you get an error message then your Java install is broken. Uninstall all versions of Java and go to the Oracle Java download site to get a Java JRE for your system.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Phergus wrote:Just double-click on the tokentool*.jar file and it should run. May take a few seconds before you see anything.
Yeah, TOkenTool has a really long startup time on my Mac and I have no idea why. Some day I'll add a splash screen but it's just not a high priority. Then later on I need to figure why it has such a long startup time. :?

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

It wasn't always that way but I've been too lazy to try and track down what the problem is.

Cruise105
Kobold

Post by Cruise105 »

I have tried to open the JAR file but it still won't open. I know you said it is slow to open, however is 8 hours and still not opening the slow you were talking about? I have Java 6 installed on my computer so I know that is not the problem. Maybe I got a bad file? I don't know. It doesn't really matter now. I downloaded a crap load of tokens anyway. Thanks.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Hm. If your Java install is messed up sometimes activating the JAR file opens up an unzip utility instead. (Uninstall and reinstall Java to fix this.)

But that doesn't sound like your issue, since it sounds like no window at all opens up (you don't actually say that, though). In this case it's more likely a problem with the PATH and the Java installation (when Java is installed it should create an association between that filename extension and its runtime utility, so that activating the JAR runs the program).

Anyway, glad you were able to work past it by just grabbing tokens from elsewhere. Still, it's nice to be able to make your own. I did that while playing a published module and grabbing the NPC and monster images from the PDF...

Cruise105
Kobold

Post by Cruise105 »

Yea, I reinstalled Java twice, and it still won't open. It in fact opens no windows. I did find a bunch of tokens that I downloaded from the internet, however it doesn't have all the monsters I need. I am still wanting to get the token tool working so I can create tokens for monsters from other books, like the Libris Mortis for instance. I am using map tool to recreate the map for the Tomb of Horrors adventure (working perfectly), but I need tokens for the campaign specific monsters. I don't know what else to do. Any more suggestions.

username
Dragon

Post by username »

If you can use the tokens in maptool (on the same computer), this is not a Java issue. Otherwise MapTool would have the same problems. Try starting Maptool by double-clicking on the maptool jar file instead of the exe or bat. If that also fails, probably the association between jar and Java is broken. (But I don't know how to fix it.)

Cruise105
Kobold

Post by Cruise105 »

Maptool open perfectly fine if I use the .jar file or the .exe file. I think it is a problem with tokentool. Nothing I have tried has worked. All the other tools I downloaded do the same thing. The only one that works is Maptool. This sucks.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Open up a Command Prompt (I'm assuming Windows as you haven't provided any actual details) in the directory with TokenTool.

Type in:

Code: Select all

java -jar tokentool-1.0.b28.jar
And hit return.

TokenTool with either run or you will get an error message. If the later report it back in in full.

Also report what the result of typing "java -version" gives you.

Cruise105
Kobold

Post by Cruise105 »

Thanks it works now. I had to right click the JAR file and tell it to open with Command Prompt, but now I can't get it to open with a different default program. It automatically opens with Command Prompt every time. I have to manually choose Java every time. Any idea on how to fix this, or am I just stuck manually choosing the opening program every time? I am using Windows 7.

MrJi
Kobold

Post by MrJi »

Hello, I am having the same problem, but when I do as you instructed, I get an error message stating that Java is unable to access the .jar Any assistance would be appreciated, if not, I should be able to find some tokens anyhow.

Razorstorm
Kobold

Post by Razorstorm »

I too am having the same problem. I can open Maptools just fine. But I can't get the JAR file to do anything. I am currently running Java 7, but have uninstalled and reinstalled Java 6 several times today trying things out. When I open the JAR file, I see the "thinking" spiral for about 1 second, then nothing happens.

I'm on a 64 bit Win 7. Like I said, I currently am on Java 7, but I have also tested this on Java 6.

I'm not quite clear on how to do the command prompt solution mentioned earlier, so I haven't tried that.

Razorstorm
Kobold

Post by Razorstorm »

Update- I as able to get it to work through the Launch section rather than the Downloads. It seems to be working fine.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

There's a thread in the Announcements forum for people using Windows and having the Java 6/7 problems. It discusses a solution in a step-by-step manner, including ways of determining which Java is actually being used by MT.

Glad you got it working, Razor! Welcome to RPTools!

Return to “TokenTool”