Custom TokenTool 1.0b32 (Nerps!)

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Custom TokenTool 1.0b32 (Nerps!)

Post by JamzTheMan »

Ok, so I did a little modification to TokenTool.
Change Log
Build 33
o Fixes dragging a .rptok Token to Object or Background layer showing no image due do width/height set to 0.
o Adds thumbnail to .rptok file for use with MapTool asset window preview.
Build 32
o Fixed bug that prevented user from changing Token Image inside MapTool.
Build 31
o Added auto-population of Filename input text box based on file name when image is drag and dropped
Build 30
o Added a "Color Picker" for the "Solid Background". You are no longer stuck with only "Transparent" or "White" any longer.
o Updated the "Lock" icon for Width/Height, the older image was too hard to see it change IMHO.
o Re-ordered the layout by moving the "Use File Numbering" options to the top as it only affects "Token Dragging". Now, everything above the horizontal break is related to token drag only.
o Changed the "Manage Overlay" Close procedure, before it would seem to hang while it performed a re-read of the overlay directory before closing the dialog. The dialog no closes immediately and I disable the combo drop down for the overlay selection while it performs the read process (usually less than 1 second but mileage varies based on # of overlays and disk speed, etc).
Build 29
o Save as .rptok Token!
o Fixed file locking bug (image files were locked until you closed the tool)
o Added 300x300 and 512x512 as Overlay size options, changed default to 256x256
o Changed preview window to be square vs rectangle in size, slightly increased the size.
o Changed temp file location to OS System default temp dir (no longer uses .jar location)
o Added CIF's File Numbering save options & Clipboard changes (http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16771)
Basically, via "File Save as Token" or Drag and Drop (with checkbox option on), this version will create a MapTool compatible .rptok file using the base image as the "Portrait" image. Also, what ever file name you use will be entered as the Name and GM Name inside the token as well. I did both as some people (me) have MapTool set to rename tokens on creation using "Creature" + ### so this way the name isn't lost.

The .exe is for Windows and was created using Launch4J. I created a splash screen (since TokenTool does take a few seconds to load the overlays) and it has the nice high dpi Icon set. :)

The .jar is a runnable jar, just double click to run. All required lib jars are included in this jar so it's self contained. I tested it on Java 1.7 and 1.8.

*Note: If you download the .exe for windows, be sure to right-click and select properties to
unblock
unblock.png
unblock.png (21.6 KiB) Viewed 12330 times
the file.

Last updated: 03/27/2015
Custom TokenTool (version 1.0b33): TokenTool.exe | TokenTool.jar
Last edited by JamzTheMan on Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:34 pm, edited 12 times in total.
-Jamz

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Re: Custom TokenTool 1.0b29 (Nerps!)

Post by lmarkus001 »

Cool deal!

I know one of the features I always wanted in TokenTool is the ability to set a background fill pattern. That way if I use an image with a transparency, I could have the area between the token frame/ring and the image be a pattern of choice. I currently achieve this by follow-up editing and doing a fill on the white.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

lmarkus001 wrote:Cool deal!

I know one of the features I always wanted in TokenTool is the ability to set a background fill pattern. That way if I use an image with a transparency, I could have the area between the token frame/ring and the image be a pattern of choice. I currently achieve this by follow-up editing and doing a fill on the white.
I thought about at least putting a color picker so you could at least change the white to something closer. What sort of image patterns are your thinking of? Would it just be another dropdown list of managed patterns? (When you say pattern, I'm thinking as in PhotoShop black/white patterns).

Also, if there are any other quick hits while I'm in the mood and have the code open, let me know and I'll do my best if I have time.
-Jamz

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

JamzTheMan wrote:Also, if there are any other quick hits while I'm in the mood and have the code open, let me know and I'll do my best if I have time.
Haven't used Token Tool in forever... but if you do this fill thing, can you include a transparency slider (for the fill)?
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Shouldn't be to hard.

Out of curiosity, can I ask why you don't use TokenTool? Just easier to use Gimp/Photoshop or just don't create tokens? Just curious, in case there was something else that can be done to make the tool better.
-Jamz

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

This is awesome. Thanks a lot.

Finally I see my work from back then in action :D

Other additions sound useful as well .. glad to see TokenTool gets some love!

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

CoveredInFish wrote:This is awesome. Thanks a lot.

Finally I see my work from back then in action :D

Other additions sound useful as well .. glad to see TokenTool gets some love!
Ya, I figured the least I could do is apply your patch since we'll never see any official builds anymore.
-Jamz

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

JamzTheMan wrote:Out of curiosity, can I ask why you don't use TokenTool? Just easier to use Gimp/Photoshop or just don't create tokens? Just curious, in case there was something else that can be done to make the tool better.
I use Photoshop because I'm usually working with pictures of standard minis or top-downs when making or editing tokens. Token Tool's pog style just isn't my preferred token image. But having a few more bells and whistles like being able to take any picture of a creature, drop it in a high rez frame, and pick a background color to make translucent would probably produce something pretty slick.

One other feature that might make the tool better is an option to "add a base" for a top-down token. Being able to select a variety of bases (hex, round squares, textures, etc.) and then applying a translucency to the base to suit one's tastes and exporting a top-down token with a base might be nice... at least it would be a feature that would appeal to some top down token users.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Full Bleed wrote:
JamzTheMan wrote:Out of curiosity, can I ask why you don't use TokenTool? Just easier to use Gimp/Photoshop or just don't create tokens? Just curious, in case there was something else that can be done to make the tool better.
I use Photoshop because I'm usually working with pictures of standard minis or top-downs when making or editing tokens. Token Tool's pog style just isn't my preferred token image. But having a few more bells and whistles like being able to take any picture of a creature, drop it in a high rez frame, and pick a background color to make translucent would probably produce something pretty slick.

One other feature that might make the tool better is an option to "add a base" for a top-down token. Being able to select a variety of bases (hex, round squares, textures, etc.) and then applying a translucency to the base to suit one's tastes and exporting a top-down token with a base might be nice... at least it would be a feature that would appeal to some top down token users.
OK, most would be double I think without too much issue. Lets start with Top-Down, it technically does support it. If you click "Use as a token base" it just places the overlay as a background image. There's a few square/hex overlay samples (I believe that come with it) that are solid for this use case. And of course, other bases can easily be added by the user.
Top Down Example
token_top_down.jpg
token_top_down.jpg (64.17 KiB) Viewed 13168 times
Granted, your hero would need to be a png for transparency sake, jpg images suck for that use. I could let you pick a color to set as transparency for that image, but a most common example would be white background. Most of the time there would probably be other "white" in the picture you wouldn't want transparency (which is where photoshop auto select would be better to select the outside of said image).

Unless I'm missing what you would want transparent? It could be done but not sure if the results would be useful?
-Jamz

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

I had something in mind of being able to select a texture from a file picker and that texture fills in the white area of the inside of the token border, then the image (with transparency) goes on top of that). Here is a fast example:
Veildric.png
Veildric.png (44.18 KiB) Viewed 13166 times
Veildric1.png
Veildric1.png (65.73 KiB) Viewed 13166 times

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Ah ok, that should be doable. Let me throw something together over the next week.
-Jamz

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

JamzTheMan wrote:OK, most would be double I think without too much issue. Lets start with Top-Down, it technically does support it. If you click "Use as a token base" it just places the overlay as a background image. There's a few square/hex overlay samples (I believe that come with it) that are solid for this use case. And of course, other bases can easily be added by the user.
As I mentioned, I had not used this in a long time... so what I'd be looking for is a slider to set the base's transparency to make it a little more useful. The current transparency slider does not seem to work when using "Use as Token Base".

Lmarkus' example of a background image and an overlay is what I was thinking about earlier as well. But I'd like to be able to set the transparency of the background image separately from the overlay.

So you'd basically have to have the ability to set up both an overlay and background image at the same time. And you'd probably have to have some "crop" options for the background to make it appears to be a "fill" for overlays (circle, square, and hex should cover most needs).

Some UI improvements. Since I can see a large asset library (which you want in order to make the program more useful) becoming unwieldy:

1) Have a visual display of current settings in the big window. For example, when using the transparency slider that is there now you only see the effect in the side side panel window. And then when you save token all it seems to save is the overlay. When using "Use as Base" it does nothing. Knowing what the final image is going to look like before I save it is kind of important.

2) Have separate lists for Overlays or Backgrounds so that they didn't come up in one list (i.e. a "Manage Bases" option).
3) Be able to create subfolders in the Manage Overlays/Backgrounds tree. For example I might have a folder for "Stone" and inside "Stone" have "Worked" and "Unworked".

OR

4) Or, instead of 2 & 3 above, be able to tag the overlays/bases with some descriptors and then when "Managing Assets" have the option to display the genres and types that you want when picking them. Three basic fields would probably be a good start:

Field 1-- Type : Background/Overlay
Field 2 -- Genre : Contemporary/Fantasy/Horror/Military/SciFi/Universal
Field 3 -- Element : Earth/Stone/Metal/Organic/Liquid/Misc

Elements could be broken down a lot more but there is always a balance when having tags and search field between making finding something easier and making tagging too complicated.

And, finally... if I may... why not have this built into MT so we can create tokens on the fly in our games instead of loading up a separate program, creating the token image, saving it as an rptok file, then loading it into MT, etc. If you want to get people out of Photoshop/Gimp that would be a big convenience for in-game use and when setting up games. I guess I wouldn't expect you to put much time into this now... but maybe when Mote becomes open source you'd consider tackling that? ;)

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Yea, that is a taller order. And I did have an idea of putting tokentool in maptool. it may happen. I already have several classes from MT imported into TT to facilitate the creation of rptok tokens.

Adding into MT may allow me to use the asset lib of MT so you get better organization...
-Jamz

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Re: Custom TokenTool 1.0b30 (Nerps!)

Post by JamzTheMan »

Ok, I posted version 1.0b30 (check first post or my sig for links).

Changelog:

o Added a "Color Picker" for the "Solid Background". You are no longer stuck with only "Transparent" or "White" any longer.

o Updated the "Lock" icon for Width/Height, the older image was too hard to see it change IMHO.

o Re-ordered the layout by moving the "Use File Numbering" options to the top as it only affects "Token Dragging". Now, everything above the horizontal break is related to token drag only.

o Changed the "Manage Overlay" Close procedure, before it would seem to hang while it performed a re-read of the overlay directory before closing the dialog. The dialog no closes immediately and I disable the combo drop down for the overlay selection while it performs the read process (usually less than 1 second but mileage varies based on # of overlays and disk speed, etc).

Screenshot
a-tokenTool-1.0b30.JPG
a-tokenTool-1.0b30.JPG (99.26 KiB) Viewed 13093 times
Color Picker
b-tokenTool-1.0b30.JPG
b-tokenTool-1.0b30.JPG (89.46 KiB) Viewed 13093 times
Last edited by JamzTheMan on Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Jamz

Return to “TokenTool”