Token Tool for 1.4 Isometric maps?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

xavram
Dragon

Token Tool for 1.4 Isometric maps?

Post by xavram »

Any thoughts on enhancing Token Tool to handle the creation of "Figure" tokens for Maptool 1.4? Same principal of selecting a base and then dragging a figure and scaling it to the base?

Sadly, I know bupkis about Java or I might take a run at it myself.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Re: Token Tool for 1.4 Isometric maps?

Post by Jagged »

I am not sure there is much point creating a specific tool for Figure Tokens, all you are doing is cropping an image.
Any image will do, although ideally you want the figure to be standing on a position that's centred at half the width in and half the width up from the bottom.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

And isometric friendly conversion for token tool would be great.

Adding properly shaped/angled bases...

And converting a pog type token into something like this with a single click:
Attachments
bugbear shaman-iso pog-300.png
bugbear shaman-iso pog-300.png (137.56 KiB) Viewed 8179 times
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

If you drop a normal pog into Maptool 1.4, you can right click it, select Flip > Isometric Plane and it does this:
isoPog.png
isoPog.png (28.02 KiB) Viewed 8171 times
The advantage of that, is you can use the same token for isometric maps as well as normal maps. Which is handy if you are swapping between the two and you have extra "stuff" on the token.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

It's just too difficult to design my own isometric patterns, so having a texture on a tile and using the flip will be what I'll be doing. If you have any suggestions on converting textures to match the iso grid, I'm all ears.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Jagged wrote:If you drop a normal pog into Maptool 1.4, you can right click it, select Flip > Isometric Plane and it does this:
Yeah... that's cool. But I'd prefer the pog look like it was standing up on edge rather than laying flat. I would definitely use the iso flip for objects though.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Full Bleed wrote: Yeah... that's cool. But I'd prefer the pog look like it was standing up on edge rather than laying flat.
I can't help looking at the pog you posted and think there is something wrong. It looks like its on the ceiling rather than on the floor. Shouldn't the rim at the back should be the one foreshortened, not the one at the front?

Bhoritz
Giant

Post by Bhoritz »

You can make tokentool frames in any style you want. I think that vertical portraits look better when using isometric maps.
The token here:
was made by dropping an illustration into tokentool using the frames here. They were made like standing tiles but you could use round frames with a base if you prefer.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Jagged wrote:I can't help looking at the pog you posted and think there is something wrong. It looks like its on the ceiling rather than on the floor. Shouldn't the rim at the back should be the one foreshortened, not the one at the front?
To get the perspective you're mentioning (on the ceiling), you'd have to have a horizon line that the token was above. There is no horizon line in iso maps.

So in iso you're always looking down on the tokens.

When taking a perfect circle and trying to give a quick and dirty illusion of tipping it up on its bottom rim (so it's more perpendicular to the ground instead of flat), the edge that's closest to you (the top) will be the widest edge... the edge that's furthest away (the bottom of the token touching the map) would be the narrowest.

Without a base for the pog to be sticking into or having it facing a flat instead of the corner of the square makes it hard to gauge perspective without context.

But being able to have token tool add iso bases and well as do the circle transform would produce better results for edge standing pogs (which is what I'd prefer).
Attachments
standing pogs.jpg
standing pogs.jpg (103.34 KiB) Viewed 8156 times

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Oh, so those pogs are standing upright? That's why they looked odd. They look better in context.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Jagged wrote:Oh, so those pogs are standing upright? That's why they looked odd. They look better in context.
Yeah, I probably should have angled them to face a flat side so it read better, too. It's just another way to use pogs instead of laying them flat. Can you do that transform in MT?
Attachments
pog iso2.jpg
pog iso2.jpg (153.06 KiB) Viewed 8151 times

Return to “TokenTool”