Usage Restrictions?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

dorpond
RPTools Team

Usage Restrictions?

Post by dorpond »

Steel Rat, a major contributor on the boards at Dundjinni.com, asked me if there are any usage restrictions for your tokens? He doesn't see any copyright notices.

I guess the question is: Can he use them in other programs also or are they just for users of MapTools?

Thanks!
Last edited by dorpond on Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

TokenTool is just a tool it doesn't put any restrictions on the content it creates any more than the original content.

It's like photoshop, the images you create are not only viewable within photoshop. It's whole point is to create something for use outside the tool :)

In a similar way, tokens created with TokenTool are completely usable in any context you can think of. In fact you are encouraged to be creative :) As an example, I've heard of people using it to create images that are then printed out and used on the table.

Now, we're still hazy on what it means to take copyrighted material as a source for the images, so I wouldn't try to go sell them :) But TokenTool by itself doesn't add any additional constraints.

It's just a PNG image :)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

So the tokens at gallery.rptools.net are available to all then - great!

trevor

Post by trevor »

Yup, spread the good word !

brisingre
Dragon

Post by brisingre »

Oh yes, and btw can we loot dunjinni art for maptool?
Chaotic Neutral means never having to say you're sorry.

trevor

Post by trevor »

We don't want to put any verbatum copyrighted material, which I believe all of dunjinni's stuff is.

Also, if the art is available elsewhere, we should provide a link on the links page instead of copy them into the gallery.

brisingre
Dragon

Post by brisingre »

I meant are we alowed to use it, not repost it. That would be a waste of space.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Do you mean, are you allowed to use the images from other places in maptool ?

brisingre
Dragon

Post by brisingre »

specifically, did the DJ art gallery say that it was only for people who used dunjinni, or can we use it with amptool?

trevor

Post by trevor »

hmmm, good question. I don't know anything about the dunjinni license.

brisingre
Dragon

Post by brisingre »

I expect we can.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

There are many ways to make maps with Dundjinni.

From the way I understand it, if you use official Dundjinni art (tokens, chairs, trees, walls, floors, etc), then you cannot use it "for profit". I am uncertain where RPTools fits in because this is free but I expect the same thing. They do state however that you can use their art for public gaming, you just can't "sell it".

Now, the nice thing about Dundjinni, and this is why I was asking if we could post our own artwork up here, is this: anything that a user makes is open game. They have a huge fan following and most of those fans are creating their own Chairs, Floors, Tokens, Tree, that full blown maps are being made that are "open" to use any way we see fit.

That is the coolness about Dundjinni.

Let it be known though that if your map has one piece of official artwork on it (a blade of grass even), then you are infringing.

Now, the good news is that there a sites dedicated to artwork and maps that are 100% free to public; from what I understand. that is open game to us.

Related stuff:
Dundjinni Legal Answers: http://www.dundjinni.com/forums/forum_p ... =4586&PN=1
Free to use artwork: http://www.gmsparlor.com/

I HIGHLY suggest that fans of RPTOOLS purchase Dundjinni - the base product is all you need and there is so much fan created art available for you to create unbelievable adventures for RPTOOLS.

ALSO - I highly suggest that the creators of RPTOOLS create a board very much like Dundjinni. It is so cool to go to their user creation boards and see what users are making - they ALL post it up there and share it with the community. If we can get that kind a fan dedication here, RPTOOLS will be unstopable. We NEED a way to post images in the boards - that is the key.

You'll see; visit their boards: http://www.dundjinni.com/forums/default.asp?C=4

Look at the maps these users are making. Look at the artwork they are creating.. Imagine all the tokens, frames, trees and other objects we could be posting up here to drop in our MapTools if we could post such stuff here :)

Just rambling thoughts :P

EDIT: I made an error with the links - it is fixed now

trevor

Post by trevor »

I love your passion !

One of the things I thought would be neat would be to have a "record session" that would actually make a quicktime or divx of your session so that you could share.

In the mean time, it would be so cool to make it easier for people to post screen caps from their sessions and talk about neat ways they are using the tool.

Perhaps I could put in a Screen Cap menu item that will snapshot the current zone into your clipboard. Would be even cooler if it could post it up to rptools :)

Mr.Ice
RPTools Team

Post by Mr.Ice »

dorpond wrote: ALSO - I highly suggest that the creators of RPTOOLS create a board very much like Dundjinni. It is so cool to go to their user creation boards and see what users are making - they ALL post it up there and share it with the community. If we can get that kind a fan dedication here, RPTOOLS will be unstopable. We NEED a way to post images in the boards - that is the key.
I'll work on this, apparently the main thing is that phpbb doesn't like the links that gallery uses -- doesn't consider them image links even when surrounded by img tags.

I posted a way to get the images to link from the gallery in another thread -- by cheating and using tinyurls for them.

If anyone finds a way to do it cleaner, let us all know! (and I'll keep looking)

Return to “TokenTool”