How to Open/Use TokenTool

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Shullen
Kobold

How to Open/Use TokenTool

Post by Shullen »

I am using Windows 10 with Java 8 and when I download the file, I get the following options:

"lib" folder
"tokentool-1.0.b28.jar"

When I double-click or right-click-open on the second option, it shows a small black screen which rapidly disappears before I can read anything about it. How do I use this tool?

taustinoc
Dragon

Re: How to Open/Use TokenTool

Post by taustinoc »

It sounds like that black screen is Java offering up an error, but the command line screen (the black screen) is being suppressed too quick to read it.

You can get the actual error by opening a command line screen, and running the .jar from there. If you need instruction on how to do that, feel free to ask.

Shullen
Kobold

Post by Shullen »

Yeah, I could use some aid as I am not the most technologically adept person. :?

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

place the unzipped files in your root: c:\ or d:\ (assuming c)
hit windows button + R on your keyboard. Enter cmd and hit enter
The black screen pops up
enter cd\ it now should say c:\ (if you want to swap to d: enter d:)
here type
tokentool-1.0.b28.jar
and hit enter. You now should get the error without the 'black screen' closing

afterwards you might want to place the unzipped files back to where you want them (don't leave stuff lingering in your root).

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

The only thing I'd add is note the difference between the two slashes: / and \ (Wolph uses the correct one).

Shullen
Kobold

Post by Shullen »

How to you place unzipped files into your root?

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

Shullen wrote:How to you place unzipped files into your root?
Er, the same way you'd place them anywhere else? If you're trying to run it from the zip file, that's likely your problem. Create a folder somewhere convenient (like your desktop), and select everything in the zip file, right-click to copy, then right-click to paste it where you want it. Then try double-clicking on the TokenTool .jar.

Shullen
Kobold

Post by Shullen »

I made the folder on the desktop and copied the following into it:

abeille-formsrt-2.0
rplib-1.0.b87
tinylaf
tokentool-1.0.b28

None of them will open in the folder as I still get the small black screen which quickly closes itself.

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

You can try right-clicking in the folder and see if you have an option to "Open command window here". Apparently, Windows 10 includes that by default (earlier versions do not, and I don't have a Win10 computer handy to check).

If it's there, that will open up a command prompt (a black window) where you can type in the file name for the .jar (including the extension - it should be "tokentool-1.0.b28.jar" (without the quotes). Make absolutely certain that you type in in exactly right, or you'll get a "file not found" error. (It is very east to mistype file names that long.)

If that option isn't there, the easiest thing to do is copy the TokenTool files to the root directory of the C: drive:

Double click the folder you unzipped it all into to open it.

Select everything, and right-click to Copy.

On the left pane of the same window, click on the C: drive (it will be towards the bottom, under "Computer" or "This Computer" or something like that, but should have (C:) behind the name of the volume). This should get to the root directory.

Right-click and Paste.

Then follow Wolph's instructions.

Shullen
Kobold

Post by Shullen »

I copied everything into the C: directory and when I try to then open it in the black screen by typing:

C:\tokentool-1.0.b28.jar

, I get the message: "Error: Could not find or load main class C:\tokentool-1.0.b28.jar

(There wasn't an option upon right-clicking to "open command window here"; just an option as to what program I wanted to use to open the file [upon which trying to open it with Java gives me the quickly disappearing black screen]).

Return to “TokenTool”