200 X 200 Pixels

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

dorpond
RPTools Team

200 X 200 Pixels

Post by dorpond »

Hey, would I get any performace hits in Maptool and/or TokenTool if I make the Tokens/Frames 200X200?

Any issues I should be concerned with?

Thoughts: I am going to running a campaign shortly that is going to be with 14 level characters. In D20, monsters seem to get larger in size at higher levels so I will be throwing very large monsters at the party. When going Gargantuan or Colossal, I wanted to minimize pixelization.

Quesion about TokenTool: what would it do with a 200X200 frame? Would it convert it to 128 or leave it intact? Would it do anything that would interfer with my plan?

Also, I just looked at the size differences and the 200X200 frame is 9K larger than the 128. Should that be OK?

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

OK, to give example, drop these frames into Maptools:
http://gallery.rptools.net/main.php?g2_itemId=2370

and compare them to these frames in Maptools:
http://gallery.rptools.net/main.php?g2_itemId=2408

Of course you need to blow them up to Colossal.

The first are the 200X200, the second are 128X128.

See how nicer they look at colossal size? Thoughts?

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

MapTool doesn't make any distinction on the sizes of tokens, and the rendering performance won't make hardly any difference based on the size of the token (within reason of course).

I've dropped 2,000x2,000 image into a 2,000x2,000 as a token, and it renders just fine, speed-wise.

The thing to consider is memory. By default the webstarted version has a cap at 128megs. If you get up past this, the tool starts breaking.

200x200 images shouldn't make a big difference though, so it should be fine.

The best thing to do is experiment. There's a small bar at the bottom right of the window that looks like 32M/40M, this is the current "used/total" memory. Clicking on it forces a memory "clean-up". Drop in your map, add a bunch of tokens of whatever size you'd like to try, then click on the bar, and see what it looks like.

I'd be interested in hearing back what you find :)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Return to “TokenTool”