Where are the overlays?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Gwindel
Kobold

Where are the overlays?

Post by Gwindel »

Hi,

I have just downloaded a new version of Tokentool (I had been using an older one for a long time). I was surprised at the number of underlays that came with it. I wanted to remove most of them because they don't interest me and add a couple of wy own.

So I opened the overlays manager... and it was nightmarish. It takes a full minute to show all the overlays. If I select one and click delete, it takes another minute to do it and show the underlays again. And whilst doing it, it uses so much computer ressources that it almost freezes it.

So I would be interested to know where the underlays are stored on the computer, to be able to remove them all at once.

I am on a Powerbook G4 running OSX 10.4.9

Thanks,

Patrick

Lindharin
Dragon

Post by Lindharin »

I'm not sure where it would be on a mac. On a pc, it is in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\.tokentool (note the period before tokentool). Maybe you can search on ".tokentool" or "tokentool". Hope that helps a little...

Gwindel
Kobold

Post by Gwindel »

I did find a few documents with tokentool in the name, but none is the overlay file. I did try with the .tokentool, but to no avail. I suppose it goes somewhere else on the Mac...
Lindharin wrote:I'm not sure where it would be on a mac. On a pc, it is in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\.tokentool (note the period before tokentool). Maybe you can search on ".tokentool" or "tokentool". Hope that helps a little...

Lindharin
Dragon

Post by Lindharin »

I just checked mine, and the actual path on a pc is:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\.tokentool\overlays and the individual overlay files are all .png files. You could do a search for all your .png files and look at them to see which files are frame borders, and determine the directory that way.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Heya Gwindel !

Lindharin has the right location for windows, on your mac (I believe that's what you use) check ~/.tokentool/overlays

And delete out the ones you don't want.

I hadn't heard about the slow performance on that panel yet, I'll take a look.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Gwindel
Kobold

Post by Gwindel »

trevor wrote:Heya Gwindel !

Lindharin has the right location for windows, on your mac (I believe that's what you use) check ~/.tokentool/overlays

And delete out the ones you don't want.

I hadn't heard about the slow performance on that panel yet, I'll take a look.
Thanks Trevor, you were helpful as always.

Tokentool seems to be working as usual now (I just kept half a dozen overlays).

trevor

Post by trevor »

Cool, glad it's working for you :)

Haman
Cave Troll

Post by Haman »

Could someone help me out and better define where this is for me: "~/.tokentool/overlays"? I know I'm overlooking something obvious, but no search turns up either of those locations. I thought I might be needing to go in and "Show Package Contents" and find the overlays in there, but I cant do that with a .jar. :?

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Haman wrote:Could someone help me out and better define where this is for me: "~/.tokentool/overlays"? I know I'm overlooking something obvious, but no search turns up either of those locations. I thought I might be needing to go in and "Show Package Contents" and find the overlays in there, but I cant do that with a .jar. :?
search you hard drive (not the Jar) for a folder named overlays. It should reside in a parent folder named .tokentool. On windows, this is in your users directory somewhere.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Haman
Cave Troll

Post by Haman »

jfrazierjr wrote:search you hard drive (not the Jar) for a folder named overlays. It should reside in a parent folder named .tokentool. On windows, this is in your users directory somewhere.
Thanks. That's what I tried. For some reason, neither "overlays" or ".tokentool" show up as folders in a search on my Mac, which is why I thought maybe I had to look in package contents. No problem finding them on my PC, but I've retired it in favor of my Mac - just cant seem to find resource files anywhere. :cry:

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Haman wrote:
jfrazierjr wrote:search you hard drive (not the Jar) for a folder named overlays. It should reside in a parent folder named .tokentool. On windows, this is in your users directory somewhere.
Thanks. That's what I tried. For some reason, neither "overlays" or ".tokentool" show up as folders in a search on my Mac, which is why I thought maybe I had to look in package contents. No problem finding them on my PC, but I've retired it in favor of my Mac - just cant seem to find resource files anywhere. :cry:
So I assume Mac's have something similar to the \Users\USERNAME (Vista) or \Documents and Settings\USERNAME that acts as a home folder. They would be saved somewhere in there, but since I don't Mac, I can't give more details. Az or BigO could probably help in that regard as they have Macs and are technical if you can't find it on your own.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

trevor

Post by trevor »

Haman wrote:Could someone help me out and better define where this is for me: "~/.tokentool/overlays"? I know I'm overlooking something obvious, but no search turns up either of those locations. I thought I might be needing to go in and "Show Package Contents" and find the overlays in there, but I cant do that with a .jar. :?
The "~" character means your home user directory. It's tricky to find it directly in the mac finder though because the ".tokentool" makes it a hidden file.

In the Finder, use the Go->Go to Folder ... menu option, then type in the path as above

Haman
Cave Troll

Post by Haman »

trevor wrote:In the Finder, use the Go->Go to Folder ... menu option, then type in the path as above
Go->Go to Folder ... *bangs head on keyboard. Yes indeed, that did it. I should have thought of it being a hidden file. Thanks much for pointing that out. Thanks also to jfrazierjr for helping me out.

I find this way to edit overlay content a little better than the Manager (which is handy in and of itself though) since I can do it much faster this way then the Manager. Provided I find the folder which took a couple days. ;)

trevor

Post by trevor »

Heh, I agree, the tokentool overlay management is pretty horrid. Quick hack even :)

Return to “TokenTool”