Kloogewerks rips off TokenTool

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

To be honest, I have not personally seen kloogewerks active in the VT community except in their own forums. Just an observation.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Jector
Great Wyrm

Post by Jector »

Klooge was one of the critters I looked at when I found MT. It seemed like an OK product as long as you liked D20 but has little application outside of that general game type. In my experience most gaming groups play a variety of RPGs. They may predominately play D20 but will still get some other action going. Variety is the spice and all that. It always pays to have diverse abilities.

A few of the other contenders for paid RPG tools were the same; D20 works great, other games not so much. It was all I needed to know before hitting the "back" button and going to the next Google match.
I cast firecube! ~4E

trevor

Post by trevor »

Jector wrote:It was all I needed to know before hitting the "back" button and going to the next Google match.
Heh :)

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

I agree big time, and was why I suggested the dice rolling idea using multiple die types.
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

I contacted KW back when I was first looking for a tool. I wanted to use the demo to test hosting a game (or something like that) and the demo didn't allow it. Instead of paying $$$ and then finding out the tool didn't do what I needed, I sent them an email asking for clarification and/or a version of the demo that was less hobbled so I could see for myself. When no reply came, I emailed again. And then a third time.

Then I shook my head and patted myself on the back for saving my money. :)

I just sent that money to RPTools. Buy the next pizza on me! ;)

trevor

Post by trevor »

Azhrei wrote: I just sent that money to RPTools. Buy the next pizza on me! ;)
Rock on, we've certainly enjoyed your company and contributions here on the forums !

primarch
Cave Troll

Post by primarch »

Hi!

I agree with Azhrei, I too looked at many programs, but maptool beats them all.

Have a soda with that pizza with my donation. :D

Primarch

trevor

Post by trevor »

primarch wrote: Have a soda with that pizza with my donation. :D
You got it !

mudpyr8
Giant

Post by mudpyr8 »

I used KW for many years, and paid for multiple licenses, and found the author and the community very open and supportive. I am certainly in the MT camp now, but KW is an excellent project and used it for all my games which are decidedly not d20.

The developer is very skilled and I find it entirely conceivable that he developed a very similar tool to TokenTool. How different does openoffice appear to word, or firefox to IE7, or any email application. They all do the same thing, in roughly the same manner, and with the same final results.

Regardless, the tool suite at rptools is outstanding and presents incredible value to the community.

Keep on keepin' on. I will do my best to spread the word in the Hero community. When 1.1 is finalized, I'll make another announcement there.

My last convention game I ran with MT was outstanding and everyone loved how the game worked. The response from the team here in support of non-d20 games has be awesome and I am glad to have such a tool in my library.

Hopefully my small donation will provide a much needed refreshment to the hard working development team.

- Shane Harsch
Legendsmiths presents:
NOVA6, streamlined universal RPG where action happens at the speed of narrative
Narosia * Sea of Tears, a complete fantasy game powered by the Hero System.

trevor

Post by trevor »

mudpyr8 wrote:When 1.1 is finalized, I'll make another announcement there.
Super awesome, this should be some time late next week ... WOOO !
mudpyr8 wrote:My last convention game I ran with MT was outstanding and everyone loved how the game worked.
Awesome, I love hearing that :)
mudpyr8 wrote:Hopefully my small donation will provide a much needed refreshment to the hard working development team.
Very refreshing, thank you very much !

venger
Giant

Post by venger »

Maptool is an outstanding tool, I think the other tools must be quality as well. I havent tried the other tools yet

programming apps is no small task, and bugs can be daunting. It must lead to some serious frustrations.

I must ask, Other than accolades from the community and donations, which probably dont cover your bills, what keeps the builds coming? What is your inspiration to keep answering the communities call for technically challenging gaming innovations?

trevor

Post by trevor »

venger wrote: I must ask, Other than accolades from the community and donations, which probably dont cover your bills, what keeps the builds coming? What is your inspiration to keep answering the communities call for technically challenging gaming innovations?
Two things:

- technically challenging gaming innovations (you'll find that the harder problems are the ones I enjoy the most, and typically get built before the mindless ones)
- the community. The best payback is when people post in our forums and other forums about how much they love the tools and how it's brought them closer to their friends that have moved far away, or improved their overall gaming. That's the meat of my reward :)

Return to “TokenTool”