Token naming

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

kristof65
Dragon

Token naming

Post by kristof65 »

I'm a bit confused/concerned here.

When I drag a token from Token Tool to my folder, it names it .token.drag.png or, to be more clear (dot)token(dot)drag(dot)png

Since I figured that the was supposed to be the default token naming format for MT, I've been naming all my tokens with the same format - IE, .token.dragon.png or .token.elf.png

However, I've discovered that by having the (dot) in front of token, Windows won't let me rename them using the (dot) in front if I make a mistake or want to clear things up.

I'm not sure if the MT tokens have to have that format, or if something else is intended. Can someone clear this all up for me?

jfrazierjr
Deity

Re: Token naming

Post by jfrazierjr »

I think I ran into this special thing with leading "dot" files/directories today. It would not let me rename the .maptool folder in windows explorer. However, I dropped into a command prompt and used the rename command without a problem.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

kristof65
Dragon

Post by kristof65 »

I'll try the command prompt - that helps short term, anyway.

I'm still confused on what maptools expects as the naming convention for tokens, or if it even matters

zEal
Dragon

Post by zEal »

The dot in front of a name is supposed to denote 'hidden', so I wouldn't worry about it. Also, MapTool doesn't really care about what your tokens are named, the names are for your benefit.

Return to “TokenTool”