SpeakForMe: Speak as a token without impersonating it

These are tools and utilities that make it easier to run games. This includes Lib: macro tokens dropped into MapTool to manage the game, a conversion file for CharacterTool to allow use in MapTool, or just about anything else you can think of -- except graphics with macros and anything specific to a particular campaign framework. Those are already covered by the Tilesets subforum and the Links and External Resources forum.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Rumble
Deity

Re: SpeakForMe: Speak as a token without impersonating it

Post by Rumble »

neofax wrote:No problem for the feedback. I learn alot from everyones code here and letting them know is a small bit to give back.

1) OK
2) Never really thought of that, but now that I do, I can see the reasoning and extra cool factor on it. NPC is talking behind a curtain and PCs perception is high enough to hear it.
3) You know, I D/L'd this for the game on Saturday, but never got the chance to add to campaign and test.
Quick question - would it still be handier to click "refresh frame" on the frame? That's easy to add; I just wanted to point out that it wouldn't really do anything different than re-launching.

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

Yes, it would be easier. However, like you said it is just a tab away.

plothos
Great Wyrm

Post by plothos »

Hey Rumble,

I've finally had the chance to add this, and I love it. One thing that it could really use is a clearing of the text in the dialog after it has been submitted. As it is now, you have to do cntl-A before retyping, which is a hassle.
Drop-In Utilities:
My Spell Manager for D&D3.5 and PFRPG
My Inventory Manager for D&D and PFRPG, but more generally useable than that.
My Message Manager -- My Top-Down D&D Token Images
and my Custom Initiative & Status/Spell-Effect Tracker (work in progress, but functional).

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

plothos wrote:Hey Rumble,

I've finally had the chance to add this, and I love it. One thing that it could really use is a clearing of the text in the dialog after it has been submitted. As it is now, you have to do cntl-A before retyping, which is a hassle.
Ah, good idea! And I'm glad it's working well for you!

Edit: erm. I'm not sure I can do that so easily - if you refresh the frame, you lose the selected speaker.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Just give me a second to lock this down.

There we go.

The attached version of the lib token, version 1.3, now clears the contents of the text box when you submit the speech text; it will (or should) remember who sent the text without losing that, though.
Attachments
speakEasy.rptok
(60.55 KiB) Downloaded 106 times

plothos
Great Wyrm

Post by plothos »

Thanks Rumble! :D

I tried to work it out myself, but had a hard time with the UDF's and having never done HTML submission forms.
Drop-In Utilities:
My Spell Manager for D&D3.5 and PFRPG
My Inventory Manager for D&D and PFRPG, but more generally useable than that.
My Message Manager -- My Top-Down D&D Token Images
and my Custom Initiative & Status/Spell-Effect Tracker (work in progress, but functional).

Malekith
Giant

Post by Malekith »

Awesome work Rumble!
I looked at this before and only got to actually have a go with it in Plothos' game on Friday. It really helped. I mean I was sceptical about how major a bonus this was as a player when they could just as easily use the in-built impersonate functions (I knew it'd be good as a GM after having tried to have my PCs bust into a coucil meeting of like 10 NPCs xD). However I'm pleased to say that it made RPing and OOC so much easier - especially teamed with Lindsay's whisper frame.
Now that I've congratulated the effectiveness of the tool, it's time to say that after the session, I had a look at the coding (as Plothos is a bit busy and had already pointed out to me and above that he's not best suited to UDFs and HTML forms).
Again I'll say it's brilliantly done and very simple to understand (imo). What we wanted to change was that the colours kept resetting, even when the characters didn't. For some people that's fine and dandy, but when RPing just one character or everyone on the server using their own font colours for example it can be a little annoying to have to set it each time. So I had a look and with a little Copy/Paste/Edit coding I've got a version here that includes a separate colour input relating to each token selection and only resets when you change it or hit the refresh. :D
I must say again how amazing this tool is and what I learned from just that brief look into the code, and so in my gratitude I've uploaded the token for you or anyone else who finds this addition useful ;)

Mal

EDIT: apologies for the formality, I'm having to read dickens for my uni and I think the style is catching :S
Attachments
SpeakForMeEdit.rptok
My edit, as the latest version, but with more colour options :)
(60.63 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
Mal

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Very cool! I'm glad it's been so helpful. Amusingly, I was playing in a game yesterday that really could have used it (scene involving a mob and several characters arguing) and I forgot about it until after the session was over.

I was thinking that it would be nice to add in one additional item - the ability to impersonate an arbitrary name (like "Overheard at the bar" or "From around the corner"), but I don't think that will work properly given the way impersonation works - as long as there's a token named "Overheard at the bar", it would work, but just entering a random name won't work.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Rumble wrote:but just entering a random name won't work.
Actually, if you're the GM you can impersonate token names that are not in use -- so it would work fine. :)

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Azhrei wrote:
Rumble wrote:but just entering a random name won't work.
Actually, if you're the GM you can impersonate token names that are not in use -- so it would work fine. :)
Yeah, but I meant via SpeakEasy - I'm pretty sure it won't work, since the name associated with the speech is a token's name. Now, if you made a token called "Overheard at the bar" or "One the floor above" it would work fine, but putting a text field in the frame won't do the trick. For that, it's easier to stick to the GM trick.

arlaton
Kobold

Post by arlaton »

I can't wait to try this out with my party, so far it looks great. However, in my own testing I found a small problem. Tokens with commas in their names such as "Krand, Bloodreaver Chief cause SpeakForMe to look for a token named Bloodreaver Chief. I just ended up changing the token's name Krand and labeled him "Bloodreaver Chief", but it would be nice if names with commas worked.

Thanks again though, this is brilliant.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

arlaton wrote:I can't wait to try this out with my party, so far it looks great. However, in my own testing I found a small problem. Tokens with commas in their names such as "Krand, Bloodreaver Chief cause SpeakForMe to look for a token named Bloodreaver Chief. I just ended up changing the token's name Krand and labeled him "Bloodreaver Chief", but it would be nice if names with commas worked.

Thanks again though, this is brilliant.

I...hm.

Not sure how to do that, but it might be doable. It's a list separator issue - the list of tokens assumes that the names are separated with commas, so when you have Krand, Bloodreaver Chief, it thinks there are two token named Krand and Bloodreaver chief. I believe I can change the delimiter, though.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Turns out not to be possible - the comma in the name breaks the execLink() function, because commas can't appear in URLs. I can replace the comma with the escape characters, but MapTool doesn't appear to be able to resolve that back into a token name (that is, "Krand%2C%20Bloodreaver Chief" ends up unrecognized,too).

I do not believe this is fixable on my end; it's part of maptool's rendering / interpretation of URLs and token names. The workaround is not to name your tokens that way, I guess. :(

Malekith
Giant

Post by Malekith »

Hey, i just thought I'd let you guys know.
the update I posted earlier has a bug (which as I copy/pasted probably means it's evident in Rumble's code). The spelling of grey in the color list is incorrect (the html color is spelt gray) and apparently MT doesn't support the html colorname Dark Blue (if it even is one).
I'm editing the code again so that I can have a few more colours to choose from and changing the yellow so that it's a little darker and easier to read on the white. I just need some html color code values for an orange, brown, teal, and a lighter green.

Mal
Mal

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Update to SpeakForMe:

* New Layout.
* Colors and speakers are remembered.
* Support for a "pseudo-emote" display. Not perfect by any stretch, but maybe acceptable.
* Support for macro code. You an put [1d20+9] or whatever in your speech, and it will execute it.

Warning: because of the way the chat display works, there are times when it will stop displaying colors correctly due to mismatched <div> tags or something in there. I can't prevent that, so if it stops displaying the text in color...you'll just have to let it ride.

The latest token is in the first post of this thread.

I believe it is all working right nicely - let me know if it's bugged!

Return to “Drop-In Macro Resources”