Stand alone init frame [Dev]

These are tools and utilities that make it easier to run games. This includes Lib: macro tokens dropped into MapTool to manage the game, a conversion file for CharacterTool to allow use in MapTool, or just about anything else you can think of -- except graphics with macros and anything specific to a particular campaign framework. Those are already covered by the Tilesets subforum and the Links and External Resources forum.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Stand alone init frame [Dev]

Post by aliasmask »

Anyone have a stand alone version of the initiative frame. I would like to add my own event handlers when someone's initiative begins and ends. Too bad there are no existing hooks for that for the existing initiative box.
Last edited by aliasmask on Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plothos
Great Wyrm

Re: Stand alone init frame

Post by plothos »

I have started work on one of these, but it's not very far along and I haven't much time lately. :(
Drop-In Utilities:
My Spell Manager for D&D3.5 and PFRPG
My Inventory Manager for D&D and PFRPG, but more generally useable than that.
My Message Manager -- My Top-Down D&D Token Images
and my Custom Initiative & Status/Spell-Effect Tracker (work in progress, but functional).

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I'm just looking to something that produces a frame that I can add selected tokens to init, set the init, move up and down init order, has pictures w/names, can hide tokens init from others... basically, most of the things the current init panel does. I just need the hooks to run my own macros when current init changes.
I have started work on one of these, but it's not very far along and I haven't much time lately.
I know what you mean :D

Raoden
Dragon

Post by Raoden »

Heh, yeah, I've thought about this, but it hasn't made the top of my project priority list yet.

One thing, though: I don't think we're going to be able to duplicate the Initiative panel's way of displaying tokens' States.
"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed."
- G. K. Chesterton

Wonderful HTML/CSS reference * Color Manager * Token Manager 2.0

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

Have you checked out RPTroll's Savage Worlds framework? He has completely avoided MT's ini mechanisms while implementing a complete ini solution. Dont know if it is "reusable" but it might be worth a look ...

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

CoveredInFish wrote:Have you checked out RPTroll's Savage Worlds framework? He has completely avoided MT's ini mechanisms while implementing a complete ini solution. Dont know if it is "reusable" but it might be worth a look ...
Yeah, I know of some other frameworks by rep alone that do some init window substitution, but I was trying to avoid hacking out the bits of code I need if there was something stand alone out there.

I have a ton of projects I'm working on, all half done because I run in to a road block or something else I should do before that code is complete. But it's all slowly coming together. My main focus for today and tomorrow is to release my Spell Lib 2.0... but it'll be more of a 1.3 because I'm not going to complete some features I wanted for 2.0 but the major changes will be done.. ie no campaign properties needed, no tables needed but the config tools won't be done like adding a new spell, but the macro will be there to do it manually.

plothos
Great Wyrm

Post by plothos »

This is still very rough, but it might help. Attached are a lib token for my first pass at the init panel and a macro to be dropped on tokens or the global/campaign panels to add selected tokens to the new init panel.

[files moved below - found a bug and reposted]
Last edited by plothos on Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drop-In Utilities:
and my Custom Initiative & Status/Spell-Effect Tracker (work in progress, but functional).

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

I started writing one of these and realized I was simply rewriting most of the initiative handling that happens in the Init Window. It's probably better to leverage as much of the initiative handling elements (reordering, delay, etc.) that's already there, and build a 'wrapper' around it using macros.

I took that approach in my frameworks - I have a set of macros built around turn advancement, but I let the initiative panel manage the initiative array, tell me which token was in initiative, which was up next, sort and reorder initiative, and all that. The macros that surround that functionality are what handle whether (for instance) the token who is gaining initiative has to take some ongoing damage, or whether any of the tokens on the map had a condition that was supposed to expire this turn.

Bottom line is that I would not discard the init panel entirely; there's a lot of handling code in there you'd have to reproduce otherwise.

plothos
Great Wyrm

Post by plothos »

Pretty sure all I'm missing is the state images, the ability (for now) to toggle hold, and the ability to drag tokens around (have to click arrows up and down).

Though I do have to expand on this to fiddle with how much access players have, etc. Should not be that hard to work up though.
Last edited by plothos on Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drop-In Utilities:

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I'm all for using the init panel with wrappers, but I just wanted to avoid the clicking of the next button in that panel force of habit. If I could disable the next button, that would work better. I never notice that before, but I see a lock movement. I imagine that locks movement for players when it's not their init. I'm not sure how "owner permissions" work in the init panel though.

plothos
Great Wyrm

Post by plothos »

Cleaned up a few things and added some functionality. And since nobody had even dl'ed the first one, no worries there. :P
Attachments
lib_init.rptok
(182.97 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
Add Token To Init.mtmacro
(724 Bytes) Downloaded 162 times
Drop-In Utilities:

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

plothos wrote:Cleaned up a few things and added some functionality. And since nobody had even dl'ed the first one, no worries there. :P
I definitely get around to it and thanks for the work. I'll check it out after this weekend.

Raoden
Dragon

Post by Raoden »

Yeah, I'll check it out soon too.
plothos wrote:Pretty sure all I'm missing is the state images, the ability (for now) to toggle hold, and the ability to drag tokens around (have to click arrows up and down).

Though I do have to expand on this to fiddle with how much access players have, etc. Should not be that hard to work up though.
What about the ability to double-click on a token to center your view on it and select it? I like what we're doing here, but Rumble might be right -- the default Init panel has a lot of bells and whistles attached to it already.
aliasmask wrote:I'm all for using the init panel with wrappers, but I just wanted to avoid the clicking of the next button in that panel force of habit. If I could disable the next button, that would work better.
It's an ugly solution, but I suppose you could always just make a dummy Frame, make it tiny, and plop it over the default "Next" button. 8)
"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed."
- G. K. Chesterton

Wonderful HTML/CSS reference * Color Manager * Token Manager 2.0

prestidigitator
Dragon

Post by prestidigitator »

Raoden wrote:What about the ability to double-click on a token to center your view on it and select it? I like what we're doing here, but Rumble might be right -- the default Init panel has a lot of bells and whistles attached to it already.
It's not quite a double-click, but a button or link could easily use Wiki: goto() to do that.
"He knows not how to know who knows not also how to un-know." --Sir Richard Burton

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Raoden wrote:It's an ugly solution, but I suppose you could always just make a dummy Frame, make it tiny, and plop it over the default "Next" button.
But I'm more worried about the players doing it rather than me.
It's not quite a double-click, but a button or link could easily use Wiki: goto() to do that.
I think it is a double click that will center and select the token. I use that all the time and it's a feature I really like. I try to use generic names and the only difference is in the number after the name. The token has the selected box around it that I look for. This is more of an issue when I have many tokens on the board.

Return to “Drop-In Macro Resources”