OLD Wolph42's 'Drop-in' Bag of MT Tricks OLD

These are tools and utilities that make it easier to run games. This includes Lib: macro tokens dropped into MapTool to manage the game, a conversion file for CharacterTool to allow use in MapTool, or just about anything else you can think of -- except graphics with macros and anything specific to a particular campaign framework. Those are already covered by the Tilesets subforum and the Links and External Resources forum.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: Wolph42's 'Drop-in' Bag of MT Tricks v.43 [EMBARKATION]

Post by wolph42 »

thnx for the code update. I thought of the same but first wanted to know whether the current code was ok, before changing anything else.

I've implemented that and further updated the corresponding help button, also added the possible 'image grab methods' for reference.

Version 40f

Dougal
Cave Troll

Post by Dougal »

I am having an issue, (also testing it on development build, highest one). Whenever I am just running it with no one connectd, I have no issues with doors opening and stuff. But once someone connects to the server I get all kinds of double doors on the screen and doors opening and then closing again when they are toggled.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

In the settings you can change the animation delay to a higher value. Try that.else turn off the animation when you set up the doors

Dougal
Cave Troll

Post by Dougal »

Ok will try that. here is another question. I have the 3.5/pathfinder framework loaded. Currently I am sending macros to the players, would it be less "laggy" if I chose to only send global macros instead of all of them ? Tried it out. it fixed the multiple door errors, I just have it opening and closing rapidly now on a single click.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

I've never used global macro (assuming you mean macro in the 'global' panel) as these are written to the registry of your computer (at least on windows) and remain 'stuck' to the pc you're using. Is that what you mean with global?
I find it however surprising that its less laggy when you use those. What do you mean by 'sending them'?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I believe he's referring to the server setting to send macros to players. I doubt very much that those macros contribute much if anything to your lag. It's mostly about vision but if the server computer has a slow connection and 5+ players then lag can get bad. I recommend testing out making a repository and see how that works for you.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

aliasmask wrote:I believe he's referring to the server setting to send macros to players.
yes I'm familiar with those, but isn't that campaign macros only? Hence my question about clarification. It could be that he's mistaken, it could be that he actually sends them over e.g. by using e-mail to the players.

Sereptus
Giant

Post by Sereptus »

JamzTheMan wrote: if you could move a group of say, 6 tokens, in a standard party order, that can be rotated, and automatically shrinks/expands if walked into a smaller/larger room (ie keep the tokens out of the vbl/walls), well then, that would be spiffy! :D
That would be awesome!! :D
OOOHH RegEx....YOU BITTER-SWEET BEAST!!!

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

It. Would require too much processing power, slowing everything to a halt. I did recently implement a embarkation feature which can be used for that purpose

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

I did prototype the current A* algorithm to take VBL into account. It was sort of working but by far "intelligent". I've never messed with those before and it definitely wasn't taking the most "efficient" route...

Maybe we should collaborate and get this in on the java side?
-Jamz

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

man that's been a while. IRC I wrote a JS 2 years ago but didn't get it to work because Craigs JS implementation was not yet fully operational. It worked in java but not in MT. I think the script should be somewhere in slack. This was all part of the new dungeon generator and MT 'the game' project, but getting stuck on the JS and waiting for Craig to fix it...(which I think to date hasn't happen yet, not sure though).

Oryan77
Dragon

Post by Oryan77 »

I'm working on a map that consists of a hallway with doors every 5-ft square. The door tokens are set to large size so they are square and rotate properly.

When animated doors are this close to each other, one door will erase part of the VBL on another door when it animates. I've noticed that setting the animated door properties on the top arranged door token first will keep it from erasing VBL on the door token arranged below it. When I have 3 doors all within 5-ft squares of each other (North, East, South), it doesn't matter in what order I set the door properties. One of them is going to erase VBL on another.

I'm using version 40e. Is there a workaround to this or can animated doors with VBL not be so close to each other without one erasing VBL on another?

Of course if I animate the door that had VBL erased, the VBL will replace itself after closing again. Still, it would be nice if it didn't get erased to begin with since it will reveal the room when a PC opens the other door.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Oryan77 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:35 am
When animated doors are this close to each other, one door will erase part of the VBL on another door when it animates.
This could be a bug with overlapping vbl tokens. I'm not sure how this is coded though, so I could be BoT related. Sounds like the vbl for the door is not on the door but uses the door to place and remove the vbl. If that's the case, then I would think not only door vbl would be removed but also any other vbl it overlaps. Try putting normal vbl across the doorway. Is it remove when the door is opened?

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

there are certain configurations that are REALLY hard to keep in check. I think you have found one. however with Jamz' new VBL addition, the entire door VBL has become obsolete as you can now actually apply VBL to the token itself. I'd suggest you'd use that!

Oryan77
Dragon

Post by Oryan77 »

I did consider using the latest MT and switching over to object VBL rather than your BOT door VBL. My concern though was with the way VBL is handled on an object.

MT users familiar with VBL know that the less VBL edges we have the better. Lots of VBL edges mixed with lighting can cause MT to grind to a halt. The new object VBL tool seems to shape VBL according to the shape of the object which causes a ton of edges. I figured that was the same as when people tell you not to try drawing a circle with VBL. Has this been improved and I have nothing to worry about?

Also, I'm not a fan of what the vision lines will look like in a hallway using 8 doors with VBL shaped for each door. There will be jagged vision lines all over the place and it seems like it could be confusing and hard on the eyes. I have not looked closely yet, but is there a way to use the new object VBL and make a single line across the door objects similar to how the BoT does it? Or are the only options a big solid VBL shape to cover the entire object or reduce the VBL so it shapes itself to the objects graphic?

Return to “Drop-In Macro Resources”