Library Token: Dice Box

These are tools and utilities that make it easier to run games. This includes Lib: macro tokens dropped into MapTool to manage the game, a conversion file for CharacterTool to allow use in MapTool, or just about anything else you can think of -- except graphics with macros and anything specific to a particular campaign framework. Those are already covered by the Tilesets subforum and the Links and External Resources forum.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Rumble
Deity

Library Token: Dice Box

Post by Rumble »

I was futzing around with MapTool, and realized that aside from the chat rolling (which, I expect, would be used by preference once people got used to them) there isn't a "dice" window built into maptool, as I've seen in a couple other programs.

So I set about to create one. The final result looks like:
dbx28.png
dbx28.png (23.97 KiB) Viewed 18201 times
It's a dockable frame; you can click on the dice images to set how many dice to roll, and then click "Roll Dice" to display the results in chat.

Rolling 1d4+2d6+0 >> 8

Quick Instructions

Assuming you know how to do these things, to build Dice Box into your campaign, download the Library Token and Dice Image Table below. Add the Library token to your campaign (making sure it is named "Lib:Play") and import the table to your Tables window. Then, hit "onCampaignLoad" and you're off!

DiceBox version 3.1 - Library Token (requires MapTool 1.3.b66; for a b63 version go here)

Dice Image Table

Instructions for setting up Dice Box

(See this post in the thread for the latest link. If someone takes over this project, please start a new thread.)

Updates and Changes
* Added a macro designed to be added to the campaign panel so that everyone can launch Dice Box.
* Fixed a few bugs (including a critical one that left previous rolls stored in the token properties)
* New layout: it only has one layout now, but it's compact and hopefully usable. It uses buttons to increment the dice, and offers some additional options.
* When you download this token and put it in your campaign, make sure to name it Lib:Play.
Last edited by Azhrei on Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:08 pm, edited 26 times in total.
Reason: Link to latest version added near download links

Phergus
Deity

Re: Library Token: Dice Box

Post by Phergus »

Very clever. I hope something like this is built-in to MT in 1.4 as one of the optional windows. As you say it is a feature found in most other VTTs.

Jector
Great Wyrm

Post by Jector »

I'd really like the animated version we were kicking around ages ago. That would be a little slice of awesome.
I cast firecube! ~4E

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Jector wrote:I'd really like the animated version we were kicking around ages ago. That would be a little slice of awesome.
Totally. I really hope this is built in, eventually. That would be a real boon to ease of use, I think. If I coulda animated this, I woulda.

Natha
Dragon

Post by Natha »

Very nice, thanks for sharing Rumble.
ImageImageImageImage

DeviantNull
Dragon

Post by DeviantNull »

*yoink*

RedDog
Dragon

Post by RedDog »

It's a nice concept. Thanks for sharing it.

kazinsky
Giant

Post by kazinsky »

Looking good Rumble. Can you add a checkbox to the frame "Roll Secretly?" so we can do GM-only rolls?

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

Just a note for design consideration and for future possible animated dice, in the Hero system we can roll scary amounts of dice.

For example, in Hero I've rolled as many as about 30d6, possibly more, so the interface should be designed to handle that many if it is to be of use for Hero. For Storyteller, I think it usually stops around 10d10. I'm sure other systems have potentially high numbers as well.

Also it would be nice if the interface could have the ability to filter which dice are used. For Hero and GURPS, for example, only 6 sided dice are ever used. For Storyteller only 10 sided, etc.
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

kazinsky wrote:Looking good Rumble. Can you add a checkbox to the frame "Roll Secretly?" so we can do GM-only rolls?
I...think so? I believe macroLinking will let me do such things. I will look into it when I get the chance.

Jector
Great Wyrm

Post by Jector »

Yeah, for an animated version I would think it would be best to have a cap on the number of animations but still show all the thrown dice afterwards. I'd think a 10 dice cap would cover most systems a majority of the time and not kill the CPU. But I'd say this is much further down the road unless someone with skills jumps on it.

This is a very nice dice window, Rumble. The only two things I would have done differently the dice box totals and the background color. The interface would probably be a little easier for me to see which dice total belong to which die if their boxes were right under the die they belong to. Since the dice and the background are all a tan color, they tend to blend together to me. It's still very readable, but some contrast would make the dice pop out.

Just the same, excellent stuff. Thanks for coming up with this. :)
I cast firecube! ~4E

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Jector wrote:Yeah, for an animated version I would think it would be best to have a cap on the number of animations but still show all the thrown dice afterwards. I'd think a 10 dice cap would cover most systems a majority of the time and not kill the CPU. But I'd say this is much further down the road unless someone with skills jumps on it.

This is a very nice dice window, Rumble. The only two things I would have done differently the dice box totals and the background color. The interface would probably be a little easier for me to see which dice total belong to which die if their boxes were right under the die they belong to. Since the dice and the background are all a tan color, they tend to blend together to me. It's still very readable, but some contrast would make the dice pop out.

Just the same, excellent stuff. Thanks for coming up with this. :)
Y'know, my first pass actually had the boxes right beneath. That's a very easy change, in fact!

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

A check box to have it break out the actual dice values would be nice as well. In some systems we need to know what each die actually rolled.

ImageImage

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

I took the liberty of creating a new graphic for the token. The other one just wasn't working for me.

Actually, I already had the graphic made, but wasn't using it for anything. :)
Dice.png
Dice.png (48.75 KiB) Viewed 19401 times

ImageImage

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Hmm If you with with 6 dice (instead of 7), 4,6,8,10,12,20, then one possible configuration is to have your dice roll text above/beside the dice and have the Mods in the center(periods added to maintain formatting) T stands for text field, D stands for Dice:
.....T
.....D
.TDTDT
TD T DT
.TDTDT
.....D
.....T
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Return to “Drop-In Macro Resources”