[Power Users]: Custom MapTool Build w/LOS, Dice Window

These are tools and utilities that make it easier to run games. This includes Lib: macro tokens dropped into MapTool to manage the game, a conversion file for CharacterTool to allow use in MapTool, or just about anything else you can think of -- except graphics with macros and anything specific to a particular campaign framework. Those are already covered by the Tilesets subforum and the Links and External Resources forum.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Rumble
Deity

[Power Users]: Custom MapTool Build w/LOS, Dice Window

Post by Rumble »

Lemme get this out of the way up-front:

Disclaimer: This is a CUSTOM build of MapTool based on MapTool 1.3.b87, and is delivered AS-IS. Its build number is 1006. Its VERSION is "Rumble Custom VI." It is NOT endorsed by the MapTool development team, it is NOT an official build, and it is NOT supported in any way. I may from time to time issue a new version based on a more recent build.

DO NOT POST BUG REPORTS ABOUT THIS BUILD. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Okay, so, that said: I've got a custom build of MapTool - it's called Rumble Custom VI - that I've made available to the GM of the game I regularly play in, but thought I might as well let other people know in case they want to use it (and in case they are "power users" who want to experiment, basically). Note: You will get a warning when loading any campaign from an official build into this, due to the version being what it is. It should not prevent proper campaign loading. If you save your campaign in this, and you can't subsequently get it to open in an official build, well...them's the breaks.
Version
Version Screen:
version-screen.png
version-screen.png (46.79 KiB) Viewed 9862 times
I've added language to the credits to reflect that this is unofficial and unsupported. I hope that's okay.

This build offers two custom features:

Line of Sight Tool: The tool allows various kinds of line-of-sight checking. It is primarily useful on square grids. It may not work at all on hex grids (that was part of the reason it never went into the official build; I couldn't get it to work on hexes). Note that this functions like the ruler tool - it is only visible on the screen of the person using it (it doesn't show for everyone when one person uses it). To use it:

1. Select the tool and click on the starting corner.
2. Hold down Ctrl to select a single square in the target's space, Shift to select the full-size target, and don't hold down anything and you'll just get a single line.
3. You can select a different corner by going back to the starting token and selecting near a different corner. The sightlines will adjust.
4. Click on the map to clear.

Instructions also show in the status bar at the bottom, as usual.

Here are some screenshots:
LOS
Toolbar:
lostool-1.png
lostool-1.png (22.19 KiB) Viewed 9862 times
Individual Tools:
lostool-2.png
lostool-2.png (22.18 KiB) Viewed 9862 times
LOS check 1 (from corner of origin to corners of target):
lostool-3.png
lostool-3.png (127.19 KiB) Viewed 9862 times
LOS check 2 (from corner of origin to ONE square of target):
lostool-4.png
lostool-4.png (190.2 KiB) Viewed 9862 times
LOS check 3 (corner of origin to full target):
lostool-4.5.png
lostool-4.5.png (264.59 KiB) Viewed 9862 times
LOS check 4 (center of origin to any point on target):
lostool-5.png
lostool-5.png (139.89 KiB) Viewed 9862 times
Dice Window: The other item is the "dice window" (kind of a "dice calculator"). It lets you build dice expressions and then rolls them, with some very basic options, in the chat window. It's not pretty, but it does the trick. Here's a few screenshots.
Dice
Dice Menu Item:
dice-window-menu.png
dice-window-menu.png (34.7 KiB) Viewed 9862 times
Dice Window:
dice-window.png
dice-window.png (43.57 KiB) Viewed 9862 times
Dice Window with basic expression:
dice-window-2.png
dice-window-2.png (12.97 KiB) Viewed 9862 times
Dice Expression rolled, shown in chat window:
dice-window-3.png
dice-window-3.png (61.73 KiB) Viewed 9862 times
You can download this build here: http://www.houseofgenius.com/files/mapt ... .b1006.zip

Vhex
Giant

Re: [Power Users]: Custom MapTool Build w/LOS, Dice Window

Post by Vhex »

This is pretty neat, especially the LoS since I'm a 4e player. Would you be willing to post that patch portion of the code?

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Vhex wrote:This is pretty neat, especially the LoS since I'm a 4e player. Would you be willing to post that patch portion of the code?
Sure. The zip file here contains the patch. Note: all of the images in the zip file go in net/rptools/maptool/client/image/tool
Attachments
lospatch.zip
(15.55 KiB) Downloaded 180 times

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

Maybe I just dont find it but maybe its missing: what build is this based on? I assume its b87, right? Probably a good idea to specify this somewhere...

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

CoveredInFish wrote:Maybe I just dont find it but maybe its missing: what build is this based on? I assume its b87, right? Probably a good idea to specify this somewhere...

You mean like that first sentence in the BIG RED paragraph? :P
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Vhex
Giant

Post by Vhex »

Thanks Rumble!

joppino
Kobold

Post by joppino »

Hi,

Is there any chance you can post an eclipse unified diff for this beautiful fork? I'm eager to integrate it in my framework :-)

Thanks!!

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

joppino wrote:Hi,

Is there any chance you can post an eclipse unified diff for this beautiful fork...

Thanks!!

I have no idea what that means. What I can offer is the patch file, which is attached 7 posts prior to this one.

Avotas
Cave Troll

Post by Avotas »

Rumble wrote:
joppino wrote:Hi,

Is there any chance you can post an eclipse unified diff for this beautiful fork...

Thanks!!

I have no idea what that means. What I can offer is the patch file, which is attached 7 posts prior to this one.
That makes two of us, this is the farthest I got with it.

-Avotas
Last edited by aliasmask on Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed image because gamedrunk.com site blocked our site(?). AVG gives me warning everytime this page loads.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Unified Diff = a single text type file which contains a bunch of some special symbols and denote that a line number X in file Y is changed, added, or removed in the "patch". The format of the file tells the "patch" program what file(s) to change and where to make changes with in those file(s).

One thing to note here is that a patch file is not totally possible here since there are also binary elements, in the form of several new image files needed to support the LOS tool(and possibly images for the Dicebox... but I am not sure about that one)

Another issue with a diff file is that it quickly gets out of sync as the original source code changes and that could cause conflicts and broken stuff fairly quickly if the original code is updated fairly often or large changes have been made between the original diff file creation date and now.

Generally, any change made to Maptool by anyone who does not have commit access to SVN(which is very few people!!!) would require that person to create a patch file and send to someone who can commit it to SVN IF they want their updated code included into the main source code. ie, Rumble, you have done this many times before with code fixed you have donated, just perhaps used a different name when communicating with Azhrei the contents of your changes.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

LonePaladin
Kobold

Post by LonePaladin »

Rumble wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:13 am
Vhex wrote:This is pretty neat, especially the LoS since I'm a 4e player. Would you be willing to post that patch portion of the code?
Sure. The zip file here contains the patch. Note: all of the images in the zip file go in net/rptools/maptool/client/image/tool
Pardon the thread necromancy, but Rumble doesn't have any way to be contacted directly.

I would like to use this tool in my game -- it's Pathfinder, but LoS is determined the same way, going off the corners of critters' spaces. And while I'd love to have MapTool use that as an option for calculating vision and LoS, it hasn't happened yet.

Now, while I can download the .zip file mentioned above, I'm not exactly sure where to put it. And I certainly can't figure out where to put the images -- the location referenced simply doesn't exist in my machine (it's running Win10, if that's any help).

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

To use Rumble's old build, you will have to download the zip file and extract it somewhere handy.

Then you will need to download a Java JRE and install it. I can confirm it works with up to Java 10 but Java 8 would be fine if that's what you can get. Later versions may or may not work.

Assuming you are the GM, your players will also have to get this version and install a JRE.

Return to “Drop-In Macro Resources”