PDF Monster Parser for DN's D&D4e Character Sheet Framework

These are tools and utilities that make it easier to run games. This includes Lib: macro tokens dropped into MapTool to manage the game, a conversion file for CharacterTool to allow use in MapTool, or just about anything else you can think of -- except graphics with macros and anything specific to a particular campaign framework. Those are already covered by the Tilesets subforum and the Links and External Resources forum.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

sheibeck
Kobold

Re: PDF Monster Parser for DN's D&D4e Character Sheet Framew

Post by sheibeck »

Doc_Waldo wrote:Yes, I've downloaded fresh copies of DN's framework just to make sure I am not doing anything wrong. I copied the token into the framework, exported the macro's, imported then as global, and could never get it to work correctly without having to switch to impersonating, I would get an error message every time. I am working on a mac however, and maybe that makes a difference.--
I had the same issue. So, I removed the macro's from global all together. Went to the token and setup those macros with hotkey and it all worked. So, try it by not having the macros anywhere in global/campaign. Weird, but it worked for me.

travist627
Giant

Post by travist627 »

And I put them in global and assigned the quick keys there because they wouldn't stick on the token. I guess that's what's called a personalized experience. :)

Thanlis
Giant

Post by Thanlis »

travist627 wrote:Well, until we get a special field for full card text, I've settled for the Special field. New token version at the top of the topic. Details are in the change log and preview screen shots below.
This is pretty cool. The checkbox only shows up for the MM3 Stat Card Entry dialog, tho -- if you swap to MM1 style, it's gone. Not a big deal, just letting you know in case you didn't.
Reed (halfling sorcerer P3) // Collin (human fighter P2) // Cine (eladrin psion H2)
Sirath (deva shaman H1) // Alesk (dragonborn cleric H3) // Kevin (halfling barbarian H1)

travist627
Giant

Post by travist627 »

I only put it in for MM3 for right now, but real life has sapped my time. I'll enable it for MM1 and test it this week. I also need to update the help page and re-enable the hotkeys.

Thanlis
Giant

Post by Thanlis »

travist627 wrote:I only put it in for MM3 for right now, but real life has sapped my time. I'll enable it for MM1 and test it this week. I also need to update the help page and re-enable the hotkeys.
It's working quite well otherwise. I have the same problem with non-impersonated tokens that Venatius reported; I'm on a Mac too, FWIW. but that's in no way a blocker.
Reed (halfling sorcerer P3) // Collin (human fighter P2) // Cine (eladrin psion H2)
Sirath (deva shaman H1) // Alesk (dragonborn cleric H3) // Kevin (halfling barbarian H1)

DeviantNull
Dragon

Post by DeviantNull »

This may shock some of you, but I've finally got around to actually USING this... What can I say? I designed and wrote my framework; doing monsters by hand via cut & paste and rapid entry is second nature to me and I never got around to actually trying this.

It is awesome and I wish to have it's babies.

Though it took a little while to figure out as I ran into stack issues and didn't immediately recognize that as the problem. I also ran into the impersonation issues. That was much easier to figure out, if other folks are still having that problem you need to select "apply to selected tokens" on the launcher macros, it's not set by default.

If there are ever any changes I can make to the framework to allow for this to work better just let me know.

travist627
Giant

Post by travist627 »

DeviantNull wrote:Though it took a little while to figure out as I ran into stack issues and didn't immediately recognize that as the problem. I also ran into the impersonation issues. That was much easier to figure out, if other folks are still having that problem you need to select "apply to selected tokens" on the launcher macros, it's not set by default.
This is something I'll need to put in the help screen for sure. Good catch.
DeviantNull wrote:If there are ever any changes I can make to the framework to allow for this to work better just let me know.
We did have some discussion earlier in the thread about where to put the full power information. It would be nice to have a text box for full power text that displays when I click on the power name on the sheet. Like PinkRose, I use the full text to check against the power information. Right now I'm placing the full power text into the Special field, as it has a toggle to output the text.

PinkRose
Dragon

Post by PinkRose »

What would I have to change so that the powers order in a different order?
I really like to have mine like:

Traits
Free
Triggered
Minor
Move
Standard

Would that be possible?
I am a special snowflake!

PinkRose
Dragon

Post by PinkRose »

And is there a way to strip out the word "vision" from Low-Light Vision and Dark Vision?
Because I have the Senses in the Float-over pop-up text to remind me if someone has Low-light vision or Tremorsense and it would be nice if I could automagically remove "vision" so it just says "Low-light" or "Dark" and keeps the float-over pop-up condensed.

travist627
Giant

Post by travist627 »

PinkRose wrote:What would I have to change so that the powers order in a different order?
I really like to have mine like:

Traits
Free
Triggered
Minor
Move
Standard

Would that be possible?
It's very possible. Look in the MM3PowersParser macro and you'll see groupings like this:

Code: Select all

<!--First look for traits-->
[h: id = strfind(StatCard,"(?<=<Traits>)[^<]+")]
[r:FindCount=getFindCount(id)]
[h, if(FindCount==0), CODE:{""};   {
    [FoundString="<br>"+getGroup(id, 1, 0)+"<EOF>"]
    [Powers=json.set(Powers,"Card",FoundString,"Group",1,"GroupName","Traits")]

[macro("MM3PowerSifter@Lib:RegExParser"):Powers]
    }]
You can arrange those groups in whatever order you want and the macro will put the powers on the token in that order.

PinkRose wrote:And is there a way to strip out the word "vision" from Low-Light Vision and Dark Vision?
Because I have the Senses in the Float-over pop-up text to remind me if someone has Low-light vision or Tremorsense and it would be nice if I could automagically remove "vision" so it just says "Low-light" or "Dark" and keeps the float-over pop-up condensed.
For this one you'll need to edit the StatsParser macro. Look for the block of code:

<!--Pull perception-based abilities-->
[h: tempStatCard=tempStatCard+"Perception +10&#59  "]
[h: id = strfind(tempStatCard, "Perception\\s\\+[0-9]?[0-9](&#59|[;])?\\s+[A-Za-z\\- ,]+")]
[h: tempPercep=getGroup(id,1,0)]
[h: id = strfind(tempPercep, "(?<=[0-9]\\s|;|&#59)[^\\^]+")]
[h: tempVision=getGroup(id,1,0)]
[h: setProperty("DNA_Vision",tempVision)] 
Insert this code between the last two lines.

[h: tempVision=replace(tempVision,"vision","")][h: tempVision=replace(tempVision,"Vision","")]

PinkRose
Dragon

Post by PinkRose »

Thank you so much.

Wind_Dragon
Kobold

Post by Wind_Dragon »

Has anyone else had any trouble with the parser not parsing out the powers. No matter what I try it won't create powers.

PinkRose
Dragon

Post by PinkRose »

I have when I try to stuff MM1 info into the MM3 window, or vice-versa.
That's what I would check first.

Zalarian
Cave Troll

Post by Zalarian »

Liking this utility. I was curious if anyone else ran into this problem.
You know I think I had the same problem as well with it and wondered why the parser token got mangled. I didn't have to modify the parser token at all so this may be an issue with the utility itself. I will post this on the other thread.
Dareus wrote:I fooled around with the file you sent me extensively the other day. It ran great. I played with most of the states and created a bunch of monster tokens. The only problem I ran into was while creating MM3 monsters, The parser wouldn't switch to the proper token when I tried to run it. It would switch to the parser token. Starting toggling between MM1 and MM3 monsters and it would magically switch to the proper token. That was the only problem I ran into.
Hybrid File
LFR Roster
LFR Roster:
P2 Zerin Stargazer / P2 Crymisil Silvershroud / E1 Llendil R'uthgalad Nelath
P3 Maddox "Mongoose" / P2 Vargaz / H3 Soulherder Vanya Mythseeker
E1 Kyla Marillion / H2 Ender/ P1 Locknar the Red of the Blue Order/ P3 Corinth Enilef
H3 Korben Airspur / H1 Alif Fluidsmith / H3 Navarre
Skype ID:Zalarian
I have no issues playing low

Darakonis
Cave Troll

Post by Darakonis »

Just a suggestion, but it may be a good idea to include in your first post an explanation on how to use the monster parser. I've gleaned some stuff from reading through the thread, but it seems like the kind of information you'd want right there in the first post.

I still haven't gotten it to work properly because I'm not sure which of the various macros to use or in what order; I'm sure if I put more time into it I'll figure it out, but at this point it would have been faster for me to just put in the monster stats manually.

I think this is a great idea and I'm sure it's an awesome tool once you learn how to use it; I think more people would use it if there were instructions :)

Peace,
-Darakonis
Visit the D&D Digest for RPG tips & reviews.

Listen to the adventures of a live MapTool voice-chat group: Dungeons & Drogans

Return to “Drop-In Macro Resources”