PDF Monster Parser for DN's D&D4e Character Sheet Framework

These are tools and utilities that make it easier to run games. This includes Lib: macro tokens dropped into MapTool to manage the game, a conversion file for CharacterTool to allow use in MapTool, or just about anything else you can think of -- except graphics with macros and anything specific to a particular campaign framework. Those are already covered by the Tilesets subforum and the Links and External Resources forum.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

travist627
Giant

Re: PDF Monster Parser for DN's D&D4e Character Sheet Framew

Post by travist627 »

PinkRose wrote:Venatius, I agree that the info doesn't need to be in the chat output.
However, I like that the parser puts it there. So that I can go through each power and check it against what the parser did.
I don't think TravisT can build a fully compatible parser with all the exception-based design of WotC (no offense).
So because of that, I like being able to go in and delete stuff from the chat output as I confirm it works.

I guess an option wouldn't be bad. More options are always good. I just don't want to lose what we have because I find it valuable.
I've been trying to think of an alternate before I answered Venatius because I use the full text much like this, as reference. In the last framework I had changed the output code so that all of the output from a monster was only shown to the DM, so it wasn't an issue having it in the chat output where all the rolls had the context of the power text. I'm getting inconsistent results hiding and making private rolls in the current framework (i.e. quick launch of power throws out 2 copies, while dialog launch shows hidden, etc.), so I'm trying to find a happy medium.

PinkRose is right in that the exception based system makes it very difficult to get everything for every monster, so I really need to keep the text somewhere. Since we don't really have a memo field or full power text field in the framework, I could put the card text in the Special box, since it has a toggle to hide it from the chat output and would allow me to still see the information in the info box, which is where I look to check everything. I can keep the choice of outputting the Special field memorized on the parser token, much like the MM1 or MM3 selection, so that we don't have to keep clicking it.

PinkRose
Dragon

Post by PinkRose »

Putting it there sounds good.
Another option would be to ask DN for a large "PARSER INFO" box on a power.
It wouldn't show it in chat.
Or I guess it could have a "show in chat" check box.
I am a special snowflake!

travist627
Giant

Post by travist627 »

Well, until we get a special field for full card text, I've settled for the Special field. New token version at the top of the topic. Details are in the change log and preview screen shots below.
New Option
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (24.24 KiB) Viewed 1473 times
Move Action
Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG (66.81 KiB) Viewed 1473 times
Triggered Action
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (80.66 KiB) Viewed 1473 times

PinkRose
Dragon

Post by PinkRose »

Any way, even if I have to change some code, to make the powers not split into the different groups?
With the icons that DN is using, I don't feel the need to have them split into traits, move, minor etc.
I can do it manually, of course, but a way to do it automagically would be better.
I would, of course, prefer an option to check or uncheck.

travist627
Giant

Post by travist627 »

PinkRose wrote:Any way, even if I have to change some code, to make the powers not split into the different groups?
With the icons that DN is using, I don't feel the need to have them split into traits, move, minor etc.
I can do it manually, of course, but a way to do it automagically would be better.
I would, of course, prefer an option to check or uncheck.
I should be able to make that happen. I will still keep the powers in the order they're listed and make a check box that remembers your preference. I actually like the idea of having them all together anyway.

Venatius
Dragon

Post by Venatius »

Hitting just a wee bit of trouble. I am not dead sure how to put the token in "as intended", which may be the source of my minor issues. None of the macros in it seem to have assigned hotkeys by default, so I am not sure which to use. "Launch StatCard Entry" doesn't work when put in campaign or global macros, reporting "Error executing getProperty: there is no impersonated token." When referred to with a hotkey, it tries to execute stat card editing on the token itself. But since it's in the CopyToGlobal category, I assume it's what is supposed to be used. Instead using the EditMonsterFrame macro does seem to do the job, and can be referred to with a hotkey and be properly applied to the currently selected token without copying it to anywhere. However, I'm having no luck with getting it to interpret powers. It creates the categories, but that's it. I'm copying directly from the Monster Builder (tried both text and rich text), which may be giving it formatting it doesn't like. Using the MM3 parser, since that's the format of all compendium-based entries now.

Also getting stack overflow errors at stack 4, just FYI. Still trying to figure out how to reset the maptool launcher to up my stack size, so I'm not sure what amount it needs to work right.

PinkRose
Dragon

Post by PinkRose »

Used the Compendium.
Copied both an MM1 and MM3.

It did take a few tries to get the "Launch StatCard Entry" to work.
Added the Hotkey, it seemed to work.

I don't have hard facts on the errors, sorry.

travist627
Giant

Post by travist627 »

Venatius wrote:Hitting just a wee bit of trouble. I am not dead sure how to put the token in "as intended", which may be the source of my minor issues. None of the macros in it seem to have assigned hotkeys by default, so I am not sure which to use. "Launch StatCard Entry" doesn't work when put in campaign or global macros, reporting "Error executing getProperty: there is no impersonated token."
You can't run the macros directly on the parser token, since it assumes that the token you're running them on is the one you want to turn into a monster token. Drop the parser token into the framework and copy the macros to a group in your global macros. Then assign quick launch keys to the buttons in your global group. I do this so that I don't have to mess with reassigning keys to the updated versions of tokens. With subsequent versions, you just plug and play.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (16.31 KiB) Viewed 1439 times

Venatius
Dragon

Post by Venatius »

The "Launch StatCard Entry" macro still gives me "Error executing getProperty: there is no impersonated token." when executed from Campaign or Global macros.

travist627
Giant

Post by travist627 »

New version posted with option to list MM3 powers in one box.

travist627
Giant

Post by travist627 »

Venatius wrote:The "Launch StatCard Entry" macro still gives me "Error executing getProperty: there is no impersonated token." when executed from Campaign or Global macros.
You have to click on the token you want to turn into a monster token, run card entry window (with F3), paste in the monster text, and it should work. It sounds like you're not clicking on the token first.

Venatius
Dragon

Post by Venatius »

travist627 wrote:
Venatius wrote:The "Launch StatCard Entry" macro still gives me "Error executing getProperty: there is no impersonated token." when executed from Campaign or Global macros.
You have to click on the token you want to turn into a monster token, run card entry window (with F3), paste in the monster text, and it should work. It sounds like you're not clicking on the token first.
Unfortunately, I'm aware of that, so no dice I'm afraid. Here's the blow-by-blow: I drag the Launch StatCard Entry macro over to the Campaign or Global macros panel (tried both). I assign it a hotkey (F3, just to make sure I'm complying with your instructions as tightly as possible). I click the target token. Hitting F3, or clicking the macro directly, results in the aforementioned error. Dragging over the EditMonsterFrame macro directly works, though, but I assume there's a reason for having a "middleman" macro, probably one that relates to my inability to parse powers (since others don't seem to be having that problem).

EDIT/UPDATE: Aha! Somehow during updating MapTool, my designated stack size got smacked down to 2. Even though it only reported a stack overflow intermittently, and even though it parsed the rest of the monsters' stats properly, it appears this was the culprit for the lack of power parsing. Launch StatCard Entry is still a no-go for me, but unless there's any particular reason not to, it looks like I can get by fine just using EditMonsterFrame directly instead.
Last edited by Venatius on Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doc_Waldo
Giant

Post by Doc_Waldo »

I have ran into this same problem, having to first go and right mouse click and make sure I am impersonating the person (by selecting on the right mouse click menu),after I can then run the lauch statcard entry. Have no idea is this is normal, but it seem to work for me.
--DOC

PinkRose
Dragon

Post by PinkRose »

I don't impersonate the tokens and I can get it to work.
Not sure if that's working correct or not.
I do know I have to have it selected.

Doc_Waldo
Giant

Post by Doc_Waldo »

Yes, I've downloaded fresh copies of DN's framework just to make sure I am not doing anything wrong. I copied the token into the framework, exported the macro's, imported then as global, and could never get it to work correctly without having to switch to impersonating, I would get an error message every time. I am working on a mac however, and maybe that makes a difference.--
--DOC

Return to “Drop-In Macro Resources”