Wolph42's drop-in Dungeon Builder v1.6

These are tools and utilities that make it easier to run games. This includes Lib: macro tokens dropped into MapTool to manage the game, a conversion file for CharacterTool to allow use in MapTool, or just about anything else you can think of -- except graphics with macros and anything specific to a particular campaign framework. Those are already covered by the Tilesets subforum and the Links and External Resources forum.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Demiurge
Kobold

Re: Wolph42's drop-in Dungeon Builder v1.5

Post by Demiurge »

I believe I've figured part of it out. You have 2 different items beginning with "W" (Wall and Wood) in the settings.
Find me on the Google+

My GM badges
ImageImageImageImage
Get yours here

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

hmm that should not be an issue as the W for wall is read differently cause it always is followed by another letter. Same should be the case for Door.
I just tested it and it works on my end. The only way I can check whats going wrong is if you send a link of your campaign file (or attach it) and i'll have a look.

Demiurge
Kobold

Post by Demiurge »

wolph42 wrote:hmm that should not be an issue as the W for wall is read differently cause it always is followed by another letter. Same should be the case for Door.
I just tested it and it works on my end. The only way I can check whats going wrong is if you send a link of your campaign file (or attach it) and i'll have a look.
The screenshot I posted happens when I'm using the "Dungeon builder v1.5.cmpgn" file.

The error that shows up in the chat window is: "Error executing "copyToken": the token name or id "Wood7" is unknown on map "Dungeon Builder"."
Find me on the Google+

My GM badges
ImageImageImageImage
Get yours here

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Hmm that would mean that that token is missing from the base map. Check if this is the case and if so create one. Or remove it from the settings.

Demiurge
Kobold

Post by Demiurge »

wolph42 wrote:Hmm that would mean that that token is missing from the base map. Check if this is the case and if so create one. Or remove it from the settings.
Which file do I edit to remove "wood" from the settings?
Find me on the Google+

My GM badges
ImageImageImageImage
Get yours here

Demiurge
Kobold

Post by Demiurge »

wolph42 wrote:You don't. Just click 'settings' on the campaign panel.
I sorry, but I don't understand. When I go into settings I can't remove any of the item types. If I leave the values to the right of "Wood" blank, then nothing happens when I try to generate a map.

Find me on the Google+

My GM badges
ImageImageImageImage
Get yours here

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Either change the the 7 (into a number that 'does' exist) or remove the word 'wood' from the list in the bottom ("List of Floor objects"). Emptying the cells will break it. If you remove it, you need to run the settings again and save again.

snex
Kobold

Post by snex »

hi, i really like the idea behind this tool, but it is unbelievably slow on large maps; so i came up with a ruby script that will take a donjon TSV file and create an rpmap file that you can import into your campaign. colossal sized maps take less than a minute on decent hardware.

carto will paint floors rather than use objects, and it will use objects for doors (currently there is no wall support or random environment object support but these are planned). it will also draw VBL for you. i was wondering if we could convince drow to include more data in the TSV file, such as room numbers and encounters/traps in them; because it would be very easy to code these things in carto.

here is a link to carto on github: https://github.com/snex/carto

please give it a try and give me some feedback, or if you know ruby, fork it and supply your own features! thanks.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: Wolph42's drop-in Dungeon Builder v1.6

Post by wolph42 »

@snex: I've completely missed this post of yours. I'll have a look and get back on it

Edit: ok I've had a look at the website... but I cannot make heads not tail from it. How does this work? Do I need to install something on my pc? if so what, where can I get it? which steps to take?

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

New version: 1.6
I never thought I would return to this project for any update, but here it is. I've finally tackled one remaining flaw, the creation of double tokens on one spot, especially connectors between walls are created A LOT double. I've added an extra step which you can run, which removes any double token (wall, connector or floor tile) on the same spot.

lab
Kobold

Post by lab »

First of all, thank you Wolph42 for yet another wonder!
I'd like to ask what heap size would you suggest for (campaigns with) maps created with Dungeon Builder.
I have a pretty simple one and, with -Xmx=1024m -Xss=4m I have this message showing up when I try to initialize pads (with BoT, thanks again):
This map (%name) contains 2506 tokens (on all layers). With a max mem setting of 1024, this will produce a heap size error. The max mem setting on a 32b system is 1500 and this will allow upto 4000 tokens to be processed. Beyond that you'll need a 64bit system and in the .cfg file set 'JVM=C:Program FilesJavajre6binjavaw' (on a windows pc)
I have a mac, so I moved and changed the settings in order to be sure that the latest Java was in use, in 64bit version and so on. I set my .plist file with -Xmx=1500m -Xss=4m, but I still get this error message.
Mind that neither in the previous setting (not even with -Xmx=768m) did maptool actually crash.

So I'm just asking what settings would you suggest.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Difficult question. Moreover as I wrote and tested this a long time ago. I would suggest 1024 and a stack as low as possible (1 if you're macro allow it). But beyond that... Experiment... And let me know your findings!

Note though that snex build a brilliant ruby script that build entire dungeons WITH VBL applied and all in background drawings with doors on the object layers, but I haven't found the time yet to really test it. With it however the map building takes mere seconds and the whole memory issue is void. So it's certainly something to give more attention to. As soon as I find the time I'll post my findings and his installation manual.

Xalcairn
Cave Troll

Post by Xalcairn »

wolph42 wrote:
Note though that snex build a brilliant ruby script that build entire dungeons WITH VBL applied and all in background drawings with doors on the object layers, but I haven't found the time yet to really test it. With it however the map building takes mere seconds and the whole memory issue is void. So it's certainly something to give more attention to. As soon as I find the time I'll post my findings and his installation manual.

Well I have been trying it out and I am no programmer. I can't get it to work for the life of me. Would be nice to see some kind of step by step that makes sense to non programming types lol. Nice concept though. At this point it seems easier to me to just fork out a few bucks and use dunjinni or even a free option like gimp and create my own images and drag drop em in. Would love to see snex's in action but alas I cannot get it to work following his steps on his website.

On a flip note thanks for all the hard work Wolph your program works well.
-This roll of 1 brought to you by.... your very own random number generator, and the letter F for Fail-
RPGA#:9214000284 Skype:xalcairn

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Thanks X. Yeah I had same issue, if you know how it works perfectly simple. IRC he posted the how to to me in a PM. I'Ll dig it up and post it here.

Edit:

snex wrote:First, on the main page there should be a "ZIP" button that will let you download the code as a zip file. The next thing you will need is ruby, which you can get here if you run windows: http://rubyinstaller.org, or here if you have Mac/Linux: http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/downloads/

here is a link to carto on github: https://github.com/snex/carto

After you have ruby, open up a command prompt or terminal window and follow the instructions in the README file.

Return to “Drop-In Macro Resources”