Chat/DiceTool

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei, giliath

Emryys
Dragon

Chat/DiceTool

Post by Emryys »

I think the chat features should be combined with the DiceTool module...

Reasons...

1. In RPGing, dicerolls are usually combined with, to describe, actions that the PC's/NPC's take. In online gaming, this translates to chat output

2. Location of the chat text. Having it on the map isn't really desirable, nor having it in "another"sidebar. Having it in a seperate popup/collapsable area, might as well be with the dice

3. Will probably make combining the chat and dice macros easier

4. For those who don't use the feature, it is just a tab on the DiceTool, and for those who only use Maptool, it's in another App

5. Some of the other chat features are starting to sound like an IM App, so it will need the interface.

I'm not suggesting creating a whole new IM App, but right now chat is this intrusive line that shows on the screen, and I have to remember these macros to type inorder to use it's functions. Having chat as the "front tab" on dicetool would make it less cluttered

Thoughts :)
Game On!

rkathey
Giant

Chat/Dice Server

Post by rkathey »

I agree that moving the chat to the dice tool is a good idea. The chat on the map is a little too small and constrained. Adding a chat window tab and showing the results of dice rolls in that window would be nice.

Part of this is setting up one of the dicetools as a server and allowing rolls to be private or public.

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

I don't know, coming from a Fantasy Grounds background, I am used to the chat being 'with' the map, and having to have a completely seperate window with dice and chat I think I could find annoying, sure you guys would find a way not to make it annoying though. :wink: Personally, I like the way chat works now, though for someone running a projector game, the ability to remove it would be great.
If you do end up putting chat and dice seperate, make sure there is an option to have this program be 'on top' of everything else and stay that way.
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

Nomad3k
Cave Troll

Post by Nomad3k »

Personally, I'd hate the chat being moved out of the MapTool. I never use DiceTool, and if I were to I'd find the need to switch focus between to apps annoying in the upmost. Personally, I think all of these XXTools should be modules that plug into the same base application. This way we should be able to run them individually, if required, or they can merge together to share common functionality (like networking/chat). Not that I'm suggesting this, as it would be a re-engineering of all the apps that wouldn't justify the mount of work needed.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

At present the plan is to introduce call-out functions to the other tools. So for example, if you happen to have DiceTool open, you could write a command like:

/s Thoril rolls <dt:thorilAttack> attack !

And it will look up a dice roll with the alias "thorilAttack" from DiceTool, get the result, and insert it into the message.

This rework is expected to be during the command handling rework.
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Plus, we want the tools to be able to work well on their own (by themselves) and with each other.

The last thing we want to do is force our tools on you. If you like them, great, but if you want to use a different initiative tool, dice roller or whatever, we want you to be able to.

Having a chat built into Maptool allows players to use the tool to play and not have to use something else to make it complete.

The key is to make them work well alone but also make them work with other apps - Best of both worlds.

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

I like that angle you got going there Trevor, that would be awesome to have it work that way. Guess I need to start messing around and learning DiceTool.
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

This is an old thread that was here before the introduction of chat into maptool (I think). Back then we were still trying to figure out the best place for stuff. I think Trev and Crew got it right and I can't wait for the integration with dice tool and stronger integration with Init Tool.

But... I would like to see some form of dice tool and init tool within maptool. I guess this could lead to code bloat but it would be super handy to have two sub windows (or whatever the term) in the side panel included a hook into or a subset of this functionality.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

voodoo
Dragon

Post by voodoo »

trevor wrote:At present the plan is to introduce call-out functions to the other tools. So for example, if you happen to have DiceTool open, you could write a command like:

And it will look up a dice roll with the alias "thorilAttack" from DiceTool, get the result, and insert it into the message.

I think the commands/prompts go against the spirit of the tools.
Even for the chat, I think it would be much easier to use (especially with computer illiterate players) icons : icons for other tools for example (dicetool, init tool...) but even icons for sending messages to a player or another or for general calling, and such.

I tried a few times to use the chat box, but found it not very intuitive. And, once again, I think it goes again the spirit of the app...

Dalna
Dragon

Post by Dalna »

I kinda agree that we need better intragration then what was described by Trevor. I don't like the idea that they basically act with call functions. I got novice player and some can barely figure out how to send a picture with an email. What makes you think they are going to know how to send those type of commands?

I am not saying that the tools have to be the same..Why can't The commands be alot simpler? It is nice you want us to be able to use whatever tool we want...but why cant these be like mods...we load the mods we want to use...yours or ours...but since they are mods...they work more intragrated...

Or maybe make it that you get hotkeys associated with what dicetools or whatever other program that supports your requirements to be intragrated in combine tools. These hotkeys have preprogramed basics to know what is the basic call and what program it wants info from.

I mean when you look at nodes or the [] use in open RPG...then look at your example...which do you think players is going to want to use??? I am not saying mimic OpenRPG but to tell you the truth...you need to make the intraface as easy to use as possible...and as powerful as it can be. I don't want to step back to a worse program once we have the features in all these fantastic programs you are making.

I think so far the program is great...and developing the programs seperately is fine also...but keeping them from working together seemlessly should also be a consideration.

aku
Dragon

Post by aku »

well, i think it's going to have to work in a series of steps, honestly, with coding, if you can get something to work with a function correctly, such as /roll 1d20+1d6+3, that at that point it's rather simple to turn it into a button. the first part is always the hardest. so likely we'll first see the first step, of having to manually call a function from another tool, and then they'll work on making it pretty

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

voodoo wrote:
trevor wrote:At present the plan is to introduce call-out functions to the other tools. So for example, if you happen to have DiceTool open, you could write a command like:

I think the commands/prompts go against the spirit of the tools.
Even for the chat, I think it would be much easier to use (especially with computer illiterate players) icons : icons for other tools for example (dicetool, init tool...) but even icons for sending messages to a player or another or for general calling, and such.

I tried a few times to use the chat box, but found it not very intuitive. And, once again, I think it goes again the spirit of the app...
I have to agree with Voodoo. That's too much typing, and inevitably, speaking for myself, I'll screw it up.

I would rather it be able to call DiceTool functions, regardless of whether DT is open. This is kind of why I was advocating a main application launcher a while back. One that when open would automatically load all of the RPTools into memory, then when needed they would load instantly (more or less, they seem to take a while to respond when left to themselves in the background for a while.)

So, when I open the main RPTool, and load my campaign, the my DT functions are loaded, my InitTool encounters are loaded, and my MT maps are loaded. Instead of having to load all of them separately, then open the individual encounter and campaign.
Steel Rat
-----------
RPGMapShare.com - RPG Maps and Mapping objects.
Discord Server

Return to “DiceTool”