How do you launch DiceTool?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei, giliath

Lilith_MoonWater
Kobold

How do you launch DiceTool?

Post by Lilith_MoonWater »

I just downloaded all the tools but I can't get dicetools up and running. I double-click on it and all I get is a black window with some white text in it that appears for like a millisecond and then disappears. when I went to the main site for help I was told to save the following file and then copy and paste the info on the page here so here it is:

<jnlp spec="1.5+" codebase="http://download.rptools.net/">

<information>
<title>RPTools SysInfo</title>
<vendor>http://download.rptools.net/</vendor>
<icon href="http://www.rptools.net/images/logo/RPTo ... _403.png"/>
<homepage href="http://www.rptools.net/"/>

<description>
Queries your system for OS, Java and networking information to aid in troubleshooting.
</description>
<description kind="short">SysInfo</description>
<offline-allowed/>

<shortcut online="false">
<desktop/>
<menu submenu="RPTools"/>
</shortcut>
</information>

<security>
<all-permissions/>
</security>

<resources>
<j2se version="1.5+"/>
<jar href="lib.php/SysInfo.jar" main="true"/>
<jar href="lib.php/sbbi-upnplib-1.0.4.jar"/>
<jar href="lib.php/commons-logging-1.1.1.jar"/>
<jar href="lib.php/commons-jxpath-1.1.jar"/>
</resources>
<application-desc main-class="sysinfo.SysInfo">
</application-desc>
</jnlp>

I know I have the most up to date versions of java and java runtime environment. Can anyone help me with this?

(BTW I know that there is a dicetool forum here but it hasn't seen any activity in several months plus this same question was asked there nearly a year ago and received no responses. So I figured I would stand a better chance of getting a response in this forum. I hope that's okay mods)

Lilith_MoonWater
Kobold

Re: How do you launch DiceTool?

it looks like I'm having the same problem with tokentools as well

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Lilith_MoonWater wrote:when I went to the main site for help I was told to save the following file and then copy and paste the info on the page here so here it is:
Actually the info on the troubleshooting page says to "click to download and launch" the SysInfo tool and then past the info. When you click on the link it should have launched a Java program via Webstart. If it didn't then your Java install is hosed.
Lilith_MoonWater wrote:I know I have the most up to date versions of java and java runtime environment. Can anyone help me with this?
That's what the SysInfo output would have told us.

To your original issue, it sounds like a Java issue. Unfortunately lacking the output from SysInfo to know your OS, Java environment and so on it is hard to guess what is going on.

After you downloaded the dicetool-1.0.b34.zip file did you unzip it? After unzipping it do you have a directory with just the one dicetool-1.0.b34.jar plus a lib directory with several other *.jar files?

Lilith_MoonWater
Kobold

Phergus wrote:
Lilith_MoonWater wrote:when I went to the main site for help I was told to save the following file and then copy and paste the info on the page here so here it is:
Actually the info on the troubleshooting page says to "click to download and launch" the SysInfo tool and then past the info. When you click on the link it should have launched a Java program via Webstart. If it didn't then your Java install is hosed.
Well when I click the link it gives me the option to either open it with a certain program or save the file to my computer. The default either way is that it opens with my web browser. When I tried switching it to open using the java SM binary thing(the only java application option I can find in regards to opening programs) I get the same issue of a black window with white text opening for a millisecond then closing. It mentions using java web start but I have no idea what that means and google isn't really helping.
Lilith_MoonWater wrote:I know I have the most up to date versions of java and java runtime environment. Can anyone help me with this?
That's what the SysInfo output would have told us.

To your original issue, it sounds like a Java issue. Unfortunately lacking the output from SysInfo to know your OS, Java environment and so on it is hard to guess what is going on.

After you downloaded the dicetool-1.0.b34.zip file did you unzip it? After unzipping it do you have a directory with just the one dicetool-1.0.b34.jar plus a lib directory with several other *.jar files?
yes to both

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Lilith_MoonWater wrote:Well when I click the link it gives me the option to either open it with a certain program or save the file to my computer. The default either way is that it opens with my web browser. When I tried switching it to open using the java SM binary thing(the only java application option I can find in regards to opening programs) I get the same issue of a black window with white text opening for a millisecond then closing. It mentions using java web start but I have no idea what that means and google isn't really helping.
Since I still don't know what OS you are using it is hard to provide useful guidance but your Java install is likely broken.

If you are on Windows, uninstall all versions of Java on your system. Install the current version by going here:

http://www.java.com/

After that, reboot, then locate the unzipped DiceTool directory. Double-click on the DiceTool jar file and it should launch.

Lilith_MoonWater
Kobold

Phergus wrote:
Lilith_MoonWater wrote:Well when I click the link it gives me the option to either open it with a certain program or save the file to my computer. The default either way is that it opens with my web browser. When I tried switching it to open using the java SM binary thing(the only java application option I can find in regards to opening programs) I get the same issue of a black window with white text opening for a millisecond then closing. It mentions using java web start but I have no idea what that means and google isn't really helping.
Since I still don't know what OS you are using it is hard to provide useful guidance but your Java install is likely broken.
By OS do you mean "operating system"? Cause I thought you were reffering to the java stuff I'm using which I can't figure out because I can't figure out that link on the troubleshoot page. If it's operating system then I'm using windows 7 64-bit(i think it's bit)

[/quote]
If you are on Windows, uninstall all versions of Java on your system. Install the current version by going here:

http://www.java.com/

After that, reboot, then locate the unzipped DiceTool directory. Double-click on the DiceTool jar file and it should launch.[/quote]

Didn't work, I'm still getting the same problem. I'm wondering if it's an issue of it trying to open with the wrong program, is it supposed to open with Java SM Binary?

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Lilith_MoonWater wrote:Didn't work, I'm still getting the same problem.
By "didn't work" do you mean that double-clicking on the DiceTool jar file failed to launch it?
Lilith_MoonWater wrote:I'm wondering if it's an issue of it trying to open with the wrong program, is it supposed to open with Java SM Binary?
Do you mean Java SE Binary?

If so, then, yes. But it shouldn't even be asking you if Java is installed correctly.

When you look at the DiceTool directory does it look like this?
DiceToolDir.png
DiceToolDir.png (71.28 KiB) Viewed 11605 times
Note the little Java coffee cup icon for the DiceTool jar file? Does yours look like that?

I would like you to open a Command Prompt. From your Start menu go to All Programs and then Accessories. Command Prompt should be fairly close to the top of the list.

Once it is open, click in it and type "java -version" and then hit Enter. If your Java is installed correctly then you should get back a response like this:

Code: Select all

C:\Users\yourname>java -version
java version "1.6.0_22"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_22-b04)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 17.1-b03, mixed mode)
Yours should say "1.6.0_23" for the version.

Lilith_MoonWater
Kobold

Phergus wrote:
Lilith_MoonWater wrote:Didn't work, I'm still getting the same problem.
By "didn't work" do you mean that double-clicking on the DiceTool jar file failed to launch it?
Lilith_MoonWater wrote:I'm wondering if it's an issue of it trying to open with the wrong program, is it supposed to open with Java SM Binary?
Do you mean Java SE Binary?

If so, then, yes. But it shouldn't even be asking you if Java is installed correctly.

When you look at the DiceTool directory does it look like this?
DiceToolDir.png
Note the little Java coffee cup icon for the DiceTool jar file? Does yours look like that?

I would like you to open a Command Prompt. From your Start menu go to All Programs and then Accessories. Command Prompt should be fairly close to the top of the list.

Once it is open, click in it and type "java -version" and then hit Enter. If your Java is installed correctly then you should get back a response like this:

C:\Users\yourname>java -version
java version "1.6.0_22"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_22-b04)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 17.1-b03, mixed mode)
Yours should say "1.6.0_23" for the version.
yes i meant SE binary and yes my directory looks like that.

when i did the command prompt all it said was that it didn't recognize "java-version" as a command or anything(I tried it both with and without quotes). So I guess my java install is shot. The thing is the other programs, except for token tool, work just fine and they use java. Were dicetool and tokentool supposed to come with any batch files like initiativetool does or is it just the JAR file and the lib folder?

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

In the MapTools subforum phergus(or dorpond I foget) posted to Rumble's problem with JAVA on Windows 64-bit. He had to make links to the JAVA executable into his SY/WOW64 directory. I added this to the WIKI see if that helps you out. http://lmwcs.com/rptools/wiki/Java_64_fails_when_using_Launcher

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Lilith_MoonWater wrote:when i did the command prompt all it said was that it didn't recognize "java-version"...
I'm going to assume that's a typo and you actually typed it in as instructed.
Lilith_MoonWater wrote:So I guess my java install is shot. The thing is the other programs, except for token tool, work just fine and they use java. Were dicetool and tokentool supposed to come with any batch files like initiativetool does or is it just the JAR file and the lib folder?
Other programs meaning InitiativeTool and ...? MapTool?

Does MapTool work for you from the Launcher (the executable file with the MapTool icon) or from the batch files (or both)?

Neither TokenTool nor DiceTool require a batch file. Double-clicking on the jar file should be enough. You could try a batch file if you like. Copy the one out of InitiativeTool into the TokenTool directory. Then right-click on it and select Edit. Change it to look like:

javaw -Xmx128M -jar tokentool-*.jar run
Same basic idea would apply to DiceTool.

Neofax's suggestion might also fix the problem for you.

Lilith_MoonWater
Kobold

Phergus wrote:
Lilith_MoonWater wrote:when i did the command prompt all it said was that it didn't recognize "java-version"...
I'm going to assume that's a typo and you actually typed it in as instructed.
Lilith_MoonWater wrote:So I guess my java install is shot. The thing is the other programs, except for token tool, work just fine and they use java. Were dicetool and tokentool supposed to come with any batch files like initiativetool does or is it just the JAR file and the lib folder?
Other programs meaning InitiativeTool and ...? MapTool?

Does MapTool work for you from the Launcher (the executable file with the MapTool icon) or from the batch files (or both)?

Neither TokenTool nor DiceTool require a batch file. Double-clicking on the jar file should be enough. You could try a batch file if you like. Copy the one out of InitiativeTool into the TokenTool directory. Then right-click on it and select Edit. Change it to look like:

javaw -Xmx128M -jar tokentool-*.jar run
Same basic idea would apply to DiceTool.

Neofax's suggestion might also fix the problem for you.
I don't have any batch files in initiative tool. I tried Neofax's suggestion and it didn't work. If anything it may have made things worse because now the only one of these RPtool programs I can run is maptools none of the others are running anymore, even the one's that were running before.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Lilith_MoonWater wrote:I don't have any batch files in initiative tool.
Just four days ago you said:
Lilith_MoonWater wrote:Were dicetool and tokentool supposed to come with any batch files like initiativetool does...
I know that the zip download for InitiativeTool comes with a batch file and, from what I can decipher from your posts, you had one. So what happened to it?

As the man said, "What we've got here is a failure to communicate."

I've asked several questions that you didn't answer. I can't read your mind nor can I see your PC. When you make mistakes or get error messages I won't know it unless you do your part by communicating as completely and precisely as you can. If you don't understand what you are being asked to do then you have to let me know.
Lilith_MoonWater wrote:I tried Neofax's suggestion and it didn't work. If anything it may have made things worse because now the only one of these RPtool programs I can run is maptools none of the others are running anymore, even the one's that were running before.
What are these "others" and "one's"?

Lilith_MoonWater
Kobold

Phergus wrote:
Lilith_MoonWater wrote:I don't have any batch files in initiative tool.
Just four days ago you said:
Lilith_MoonWater wrote:Were dicetool and tokentool supposed to come with any batch files like initiativetool does...
I know that the zip download for InitiativeTool comes with a batch file and, from what I can decipher from your posts, you had one. So what happened to it?
Wait, scratch that, I just looked again and it looks like charactertool and initiativetool Have batch files after all. Sorry. But even so they're not working now. I tried opening both programs from the jar file and from the batch file but I'm getting the same issue as with tokentool and dicetool where a command prompt window will open with some text in it and then close an instant later. I even tried deleting the old rptools and re-downloading them(including a couple different versions for those that had them available) and they still don't work.(this is reffering to all of the RPtools other than maptool since that works just fine)
As the man said, "What we've got here is a failure to communicate."

I've asked several questions that you didn't answer. I can't read your mind nor can I see your PC. When you make mistakes or get error messages I won't know it unless you do your part by communicating as completely and precisely as you can. If you don't understand what you are being asked to do then you have to let me know.
I thought I had been answering your questions, at least as best as I can. What questions did I miss?
Lilith_MoonWater wrote:I tried Neofax's suggestion and it didn't work. If anything it may have made things worse because now the only one of these RPtool programs I can run is maptools none of the others are running anymore, even the one's that were running before.
What are these "others" and "one's"?
The other RPtools, including the RPtools that were working before. Now maptool is the only rptool that will launch on my PC.

I'm sorry if it seems like I'm being difficult as I'm honestly not trying to be and I really do appreciate you trying to help me.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Lilith_MoonWater wrote:where a command prompt window will open with some text in it and then close an instant later. I even tried deleting the old rptools and re-downloading them(including a couple different versions for those that had them available) and they still don't work.(this is reffering to all of the RPtools other than maptool since that works just fine)
Open the .bat file in notepad or something similar. You might be able to right click and there may be an "edit" entry, but if not, SHIFT right click and select open with and chose Notepad.

Next, change the javaw to java (remove the 'w'). On the next line, put 'pause' without the quotes. Report back the results.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

@Joe - I expect she is going to get the "java is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file" message. Probably because the attempt at using mklink failed or was incorrect.
Lilith_MoonWater wrote:I'm sorry if it seems like I'm being difficult as I'm honestly not trying to be and I really do appreciate you trying to help me.
Don't worry about it but do try and respond to each individual question and provide details.

You are able to launch MapTool still by double-clicking on what we call the launcher which is the Windows executable with the green gear icon. Is that correct?

And the batch files for MapTool no longer work. Is that correct?

InitiativeTool and CharacterTool were working for you by using the batch files prior to following Neofax's advice?

Go to the Windows Control Panel and then Default Programs. Click on "Associate a file type or protocol with a specific program". It may take a minute to finish loading.

Scroll through the list to find the .jar and .jnlp extensions. This is what it should look like:
FileAssociations.png
FileAssociations.png (46.32 KiB) Viewed 11555 times
If it doesn't then it can be fixed by making those associations with the right Java executables.

Return to “DiceTool”