Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei, giliath

sharrem
Kobold

threshold and openhanded rolls

Post by sharrem »

this is a feature i wold very much need in the dice roller

for example
threshold roll:(with the ability to define the threshold off course)
5d6 all 5s and 6s equal hits so it will look like this
4 6 2 4 5=2hits
6 6 4 5 4=3hits

Openhanded roll
:
5d6 reroll and add all 6s
1 4 2 5 6(reroll 5)=18

and a combo of them will look like this:
5d6 5 are hits 6 are hits and rerolled as well
4 2 6 5 1=2hits + a reroll 5 =1 hit total = 3 hitsEdit i corrected the 18 to 23(that will show me posting after 20 hours without sleep 8) )

hope i am clear anough
Last edited by sharrem on Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beens of Java that the thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."(sadly it is not mine)

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

I'll let giliath respond to the post,

but wanted to welcome you to the forums sharrem !
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

dLANbandit
Dragon

Post by dLANbandit »

that looks like Werewolf, Vampire, or Mage roll styles. Am I right?

giliath
RPTools Founder

Re: threshold and openhanded rolls

Post by giliath »

First, welcome. I have some questions about what you mean below.
sharrem wrote: threshold roll:(with the ability to define the threshold off course)
5d6 all 5s and 6s equal hits so it will look like this
4 6 2 4 5=2hits
6 6 4 5 4=3hits
This makes sense and should be possible as soon as we get the function editors in place.
sharrem wrote:
Openhanded roll
:
5d6 reroll and add all 6s
1 4 2 5 6(reroll 5)=18
I am not sure what you mean here. Could you give me a few more examples? I can't think of any systems that I have played that use a system like this, so as much detail as possible is appreciated.

You said "add all 6s", but the =18 is clearly the sum of all rolls. Also, I am not sure when the reroll took place and what dice were rerolled.
sharrem wrote: and a combo of them will look like this:
5d6 5 are hits 6 are hits and rerolled as well
4 2 6 5 1=2hits + a reroll 5 =1 hit total = 3 hits
Probably clearer once I understand the second example.

If you are using a particular system (like Mage, etc..) and you have an online rules source that would make it easiest for me to understand the rolling mechanisms. All of this is currently possible using the custom functions, but they are not particularly easy to edit. Once I understand the rolling a little better, I will see if I can get you an example.
~Giliath

dLANbandit
Dragon

Post by dLANbandit »

If I remember right all 3 systems are very open ended. It is entirely up to the GM to determine the success number, and the player rolls X die counting the number of successes. Where a success is the number of times you meet or exceed a number. You get critical successes where the highest number possible on the die, gives you one success plus an extra die roll.

The number of die the player rolls is based on the character's level in the applicable skills. The skills are determined by the DM.

And again the affects of the roll are determined by the number of successes and the DM's interpretation.

I think combat is a bit more regimented but not a lot.

sharrem
Kobold

Post by sharrem »

thanks for the welcome from you all and for the response i will make it clearer now
(also edited main post to correct the 18 thing to 23)

Openhanded rolls are used in Rulemaster system as well as in games like Shadowrun 4th edition (under certain circumstances) for example:

lets use SR4th for it
the player need to shoot something but it is a very difficult shoot
so the GM tells him he can ether use his normal skill (xD6 counting the 5s and 6s to see how many hits he got and coopering it to what the GM decided will be the Difficulty of the shoot)or use his luck to boost it (called Edge in the game mechanics) so he will get on top of the hits he rolled to reroll all the 6s to get even more hits (and if thous come out as 6s as well he can add the hit and reroll again and so on)

also i wold like for the ability to tell the dice roll to reroll all failed once and the ability to tell it to count the 1s or 1s and 2s of a roll separately
and if we are on this topic the ability to count the 6s and the 1s separately as well as summing the total for games like Hero system when you roll damage you need to count the lethal damage of a hit by getting 1 point from each die and another from each 6 but subtract a point from each 1 you get so a die result of 1 will have a sum of 1 and 0 lethal hits and a die result of 2-5 will have a sum of 2-5 with one lethal hit and result of 6 will have the sum of 6 and 2 lethal hits and so on
"It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beens of Java that the thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."(sadly it is not mine)

darkeness66
Giant

Post by darkeness66 »

Another similer game mechanic is Earthdawn, where you total all dice and if a die is maxed (i.e. a 6 on 1d6), it is rolled again and added to the total.

Its a cool system for the player when you can grab and roll a handfull of dice for some spectaculer results, but very slow as you add the dice and a real pain for the DM.

Of course, one thing I always loved about gaming was the math. If a player couldn't add his dice I usually didn't game with them very long. :twisted:

Probably not very kind, but who wants to wait 5 minutes as someone adds 1+2+3+4=? And what goes around, comes around. There are online gamers that won't let me in their games becuase of my tyrible tyiping :P

giliath
RPTools Founder

Post by giliath »

Wow, open ended systems will be pretty tricky. I will see what I can do.

Thanks for the input.
~Giliath

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

So "openhanded" really means "open ended".
Steel Rat
-----------
RPGMapShare.com - RPG Maps and Mapping objects.
Discord Server

Griogre
Kobold

Post by Griogre »

Ars Magica also uses an some open ended rolls called a stress or quality roll (at least the 3rd and 4th Eds did). You roll a d10 and if you get a 1 you roll again doubling the second roll. If you roll another 1 on the second roll you quad times the next roll and should you get another 1 you mulitiply the next roll by 8 and so on increasing the multiplier by powers of 2 until you roll something other than a 1.

Champions use to use a success and additive system like the d6 version of Shadow Run. If you rolled a 6 that was body damage and the sum of the dice was stun. In that case you would need to keep track of the number of 6's (sucesses) and also add the sum of the dice.

SweetRein
Kobold

Post by SweetRein »

This is for functions.js, an open function that would make this possible.
open(a,b,c,d)
a db dice is rolled
c and lower are low
d and higher are high
e and higher is rerolled (and added)

For example, the standard vampire open ended rolls is made with
open(x,10,0,8,10)
where x is the number of dice (xd10, 8 and higher is success, 10 is rerolled)

the script:

Code: Select all

function open(a,b,c,d,e){
	var low=0; var high=0; var hold=0; var total=0;
	while(a>0){
		total+=(hold=Math.ceil(Math.random()*b));
		if(hold>=d){ high+=1; }
		else if(hold<=c){ low+=1; }
		if(hold<e){ a-=1; }
	}
	row.setLabel("High(" + high + ") Low(" + low + ")");
	return total;
}
This could also be applied into savage worlds I believe.

To make no rerolls occur, just set e higher than b.

giliath
RPTools Founder

Post by giliath »

Great stuff SweetRein!
~Giliath

Return to “DiceTool”