Labels

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests

Moderators: dorpond, Azhrei, giliath

Kastas
Kobold

Labels

Post by Kastas »

First, I'd like to say that I just found DiceTool and so far I'm impressed. It's much more powerful than most other dice programs, it's relatively easy to use, and the gui is very efficient and straightforward.

I have a question regarding labels in this program. Is it possible to display a string in the label column of the results table? It would be helpful when making complex rolls to be able to quickly identify what is being rolled on each line.

For example, suppose a character in a D&D game can make multiple attacks using a weapon that deals more than one type of damage (say, 1d6 fire and 2d6 holy). I would like to be able to note on each attack line which attack it is (first, second, etc) and note on each damage line which type of damage is being rolled. Under the labels column in the results table I would see something like:

att(19)+24 First Attack
2d6+13 nonmagical damage
1d6 fire damage
2d6 holy damage
(etc.)

Can the program currently handle this without modification?

On an unrelated note, I've noticed that many results do not register in the "total" line at the bottom of the window when selected. Is this a known bug or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for your time and keep up the good work!

giliath
RPTools Founder

Post by giliath »

There is actually a function named label(value, "label") that allows this.

Using your examples

label(att(19)+24, "First Attack")
label(2d6+13, "nonmagical")
label(1d6, "fire")
label(2d6, "holy")

Code: Select all

label(att(19)+24, "First Attack");label(2d6+13, "nonmagical"):label(1d6, "fire"):label(2d6, "holy")
Results not registering:
Could you please provide expressions that you are using that don't accumulate... The current version available in the webstart should have this working.
~Giliath

Kastas
Kobold

Post by Kastas »

Thanks for the quick reply. That label function is exactly what I was looking for.

Regarding the nonaccumulating expressions, I've just noticed that the problem doesn't occur when I launch the program from WebStart, though it does when I launch it offline from dicetool-1.0M1.b31.jar. I had assummed that both versions of the program were the same. For an example of an expression that doesn't accumulate, consider a full attack routine that I wrote for one of my players last night while fooling around with the program:

Code: Select all

att(17)+22; 2d8+15:2d6; att(17)+17; 2d8+15:2d6;att(17)+12; 2d8+15:2d6
When the results of this expression are displayed (if the program was launched offline), none of them will register in the "total" line.

giliath
RPTools Founder

Post by giliath »

Regretably the downloadable version on sourceforge is not currently up-to-date. Use this link to download it instead: http://www.rptools.net/dist/zip/dicetool-0.9.zip

Sorry for the inconvience, with the next release I will make sure to fix that.
~Giliath

Kastas
Kobold

Post by Kastas »

Great, thank you.

Return to “DiceTool”