How to Export/Import Maps in Maptool

Please post questions that you think belong here in the parent forum for discussion first. Then use the "Report this Post" function to alert a moderator that the post/thread should be moved. Common thread examples should not include macro programming, but rather user interface issues or usability issues.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
Do not conduct discussion here. Do that in the parent forum.
Tsriel
Cave Troll

How to Export/Import Maps in Maptool

Post by Tsriel »

HOW TO IMPORT/EXPORT MAPS AND TOKENS IN MAPTOOL

Maptool really is an amazing commodity and a powerful resource for virtual and at-the-table roleplay gaming. Perhaps one of the most overlooked features in Maptool is the ability to extract (take a copy of) a map from one campaign file and import (paste) it to another campaign file.

In the case of Living Forgotten Realms in Maptool, the community is constantly faced with maintaining a wide range of framework functionality in order to best accommodate player preferences, which of course speeds up gameplay. Additionally, updates always present a challenge as frameworks and Maptool itself is being constantly updated.

In an effort to continue the promotion of updating outdated campaign files, this guide will explain the process of exporting and importing in Maptool. Be sure to have a template campaign file ready. Save it under a different name so you don't accidentally erase or save over your template.
1. Go to Edit --> Preferences --> Application tab --> Click the Enable map import/export feature box --> Click "OK" at the bottom right.

2. Open the campaign file you wish to export maps from. While on a map you wish to export, go to Map --> Export Map. This will bring up a window to save your current viewed map as a .rpmap file. Name and save it somewhere that's easy to access. Repeat as necessary. (Note: Any tokens, objects, ect will go with the map when you export! Framework macros stay behind with the campaign file.)

3. Open your template and go to Map --> Import Map. Locate your .rpmap files and begin importing, repeating as necessary.
That's it! It's that fast and easy. Your old maps now operate on an updated framework. Of course, check any tokens that were imported for functionality and errors.

One final warning, do not export/import any library tokens from old campaign files onto new ones unless you know what you're doing. Having more than one library causes problems for the newer version of the framework to where it may no longer operate.

Happy campaign file updating everyone!

Zalarian
Cave Troll

Re: How to Export/Import Maps in Maptool

Post by Zalarian »

Simply Marvelous!
I was getting ready to do the daunting task of upgrading a campaign file for the updated framework to create updated documentation and this method makes it much more easier to upgrade a campaign file to a newer framework.
Hybrid File
LFR Roster
LFR Roster:
P2 Zerin Stargazer / P2 Crymisil Silvershroud / E1 Llendil R'uthgalad Nelath
P3 Maddox "Mongoose" / P2 Vargaz / H3 Soulherder Vanya Mythseeker
E1 Kyla Marillion / H2 Ender/ P1 Locknar the Red of the Blue Order/ P3 Corinth Enilef
H3 Korben Airspur / H1 Alif Fluidsmith / H3 Navarre
Skype ID:Zalarian
I have no issues playing low

Tsriel
Cave Troll

Post by Tsriel »

Zalarian wrote:Simply Marvelous!
I was getting ready to do the daunting task of upgrading a campaign file for the updated framework to create updated documentation and this method makes it much more easier to upgrade a campaign file to a newer framework.
Yay! Another one saved from grueling campaign file remakes! With my "secret" of being able to update many campaign files out in less than 10 minutes, I really hope this encourages people to use this nifty little feature.

Darklord
Cave Troll

Post by Darklord »

Thanks Tsriel,

I'll give this a go next time I want to play in a campaign that is DN only or similar. :)

Cheers,

Daniel.
I vote High!

RPGA: 1206508765; Skype: Danny.darklord

Optimise = Fan of Roleplay!

Zalarian
Cave Troll

Post by Zalarian »

Has anyone else run into issues adding initiatives when not running a server on imported maps? Without using any frameworks or the like, I managed to get the following behavior when trying to add tokens to initiative.

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... 96#p178896
Hybrid File
LFR Roster
LFR Roster:
E1 Kyla Marillion / H2 Ender/ P1 Locknar the Red of the Blue Order/ P3 Corinth Enilef

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Exported Map Initiative Bug Fix

This is only a temporary how-to fix until it is fixed in the code:

You can fix the initiative for a map by removing it from the map in the .rpmap file. The .rpmap file is a zip file, so if you rename it to .rpmap.zip you can then open the zip archive.

Open it and export the content.xml file and edit it with notepad. Do a search for <initiativeList> and delete the tag and all it's contents. From <initiativeList>...</initiativeList> inclusive. Save, drag the content.xml file back in to the zip archive. Rename file back to .rpmap and then import it.

That should clear up any conflict with your initiative panel when importing that map.

Zalarian
Cave Troll

Post by Zalarian »

aliasmask wrote:Exported Map Initiative Bug Fix

This is only a temporary how-to fix until it is fixed in the code:
Rather than the individual .rpmap files, I did this on the .cmpgn file after importing all the rpmap files and it worked like a charm. Many thanks for posting this workaround.
Hybrid File
LFR Roster
LFR Roster:

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Zalarian wrote:Rather than the individual .rpmap files, I did this on the .cmpgn file after importing all the rpmap files and it worked like a charm. Many thanks for posting this workaround.
Yeah, that's probably faster and you can just ignore any exceptions that may occur while putting the campaign file together from separate rpmap files.

Darklord
Cave Troll

Post by Darklord »

Hmm well I've just updated AKAN1-1 to the latest Hybrid and it took about 5 mins. Ok I admit this was pretty easy!

Thanks for the guide Tsriel! :D

Daniel.
I vote High!

RPGA: 1206508765; Skype: Danny.darklord

Optimise = Fan of Roleplay!

Return to “WIP - User FAQ”