Adding Attack/DMG Bonuses on the fly

Discussion concerning lmarkus' campaign framework for D&D3.x and Pathfinder.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice, lmarkus001

Forum rules
Discussion regarding lmarkus001's framework only. Other posts deleted without notice! :)
Elorebaen
Dragon

Adding Attack/DMG Bonuses on the fly

Post by Elorebaen »

Hello,

Is there anyway to make so a window will pop-up when attacking with a particular weapon that will allow you to add attk/dmg bonuses on the fly?

Thanks!

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Adding Attack/DMG Bonuses on the fly

Post by aliasmask »

Not without rewriting the macro. I suppose you can make a request. I've done some work in creating a new attack macro, but didn't consider that. If I ever get back to it, I'll keep that in mind.

Elorebaen
Dragon

Post by Elorebaen »

aliasmask wrote:Not without rewriting the macro. I suppose you can make a request. I've done some work in creating a new attack macro, but didn't consider that. If I ever get back to it, I'll keep that in mind.
Thank you for the head's up. Please post if you are able to work it out.

Best.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Yeah, the reason I stopped is because it was turning in to a bigger project than planned. I wanted to include feats and a different weapon creation system and possibly have the option to apply damage to a token automatically.

I also wanted to do cleave attacks on the fly, switch targets during full attack, select target progression, have a generic mod system in which to define feats which would include such things as having mods only on first attack or apply mod only for this set of attacks and turn it off... stuff like that.

Netmagus
Kobold

Post by Netmagus »

I don't know if this helps any, but I made an attack button that mirrored the attack macro code, but I just added undefined variables for modAttack and modDamage and it would just do a quick pop-up box to ask for the variable. You can just hit enter if you don't have anything. Worked fine for me!

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

If you want to add these to the input dialog, you can so that you don't have three pop-up dialogs.

prospero63
Kobold

Post by prospero63 »

What we did was modify the attack macro in the library as follows.

Locate the section that begins (it should be towards the top):

Code: Select all

[H:inCC =

Under the line:

+ "sneak|" + json.get( jCC, "sneak" ) + "|Sneak Attack Damage|TEXT|WIDTH=10" + "##"
add the following lines:

+ "MiscATK|" +MiscATK+ "|Miscellaneous Attack Bonus|TEXT|WIDTH=10" + "##"
   + "MiscDMG|" +MiscDMG+ "|Miscellaneous Damage Bonus|TEXT|WIDTH=10"
What that does is add a text box to the attack UI to input miscellaneous attack and damage values. You have to be mindful that these are persistent, so if they should only be applied for a single attack, next time you run the macro you need to remember to zero them out again. I've found it works fairly well though.

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

At the top of the macro, you can do a [H: MiscATK = 0] [H: MiscDMG = 0] to set the Miscellaneous Attack and Damage to zero before the input dialog pops up. This way you only have to remember to apply it not unapply it. I am more a Opt-In instead of Opt-Out person.

Voltang
Cave Troll

Post by Voltang »

Aren't those particular variables used for the Mod Sets and other macros? Won't this interfere with other things that use those variables?

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

Yes, they will if you start applying mod-sets that include these. However, you can change them to MiscAtk2 and MiscDmg2. This will not affect anything and will only save during the current attack as there is no property set for them.

prospero63
Kobold

Post by prospero63 »

Voltang wrote:Aren't those particular variables used for the Mod Sets and other macros? Won't this interfere with other things that use those variables?
Kind of. That's why in my case we refer back to the modifiers. Since they are miscellaneous attack and damage macros, they should only come into play when one is attacking or doing damage. Rather than setting it to 0 we use the logic of setting it to whatever the current value is. So if outside of the attack macro you have set a +2 to attack when you run the attack macro the value is +2 (what it currently is). If for that attack you need to adjust it, you can change it to something else, which resets the miscATK value to whatever you enter. If it should only apply to that attack, you can either re-run the mod macro to change it or simply adjust it again next time you attack (e.g. if it was +2 and when you attacked you set it to +3, next time you attack it will still be +3 so just set it back to +2). I know that sounds like a lot, but remember it's happening in the same attack UI you already have open and are using.

Return to “D&D 3.5/Pathfinder 1e Campaign Macros”