[Pathfinder] TR's Toolbar v1

Discussion concerning lmarkus' campaign framework for D&D3.x and Pathfinder.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice, lmarkus001

Forum rules
Discussion regarding lmarkus001's framework only. Other posts deleted without notice! :)
toyrobots
Dragon

[Pathfinder] TR's Toolbar v1

Post by toyrobots »

TR's Pathfinder RPG Toolbar v1.0 for b63

This is is a toolset for Pathfinder GMs that I have been working on for a few weeks. It differs from Lindsay Markus' (impressive) 3.5/PRPG framework in that I don't undertake to do combat math for players. Instead this is a toolbar that assists the GM with some of the more annoying tasks: HP tracking, Initiative Tracking, and Durations.

As far as I know, it could work alongside the L. Markus Framework, although I haven't tried it. It does work really well if you are GMing with a projection table or similar setup, with players rolling real dice. The toolbar basically lets you quickly leverage MapTool's bookkeeping ability, but it doesn't really automate much for the players.

To install it, import all of the .rptok button images and Lib:PathfinderRPG.rptok to your campaign, then import the toolbar properties. Save your campaign and reload it, and you should see a toolbar that can fit neatly on your screen up next to the built-in MapTool tool bar.

The buttons of the toolbar function thusly:

Heal Tokens

Use the Heal Tokens button while tokens are selected. A Dialog will appear where you can enter the value you want to heal all of the tokens.

You may enter dice notation ("xdy+z") and the result will be rolled once and the value applied to all selected tokens.

If the value would result in an HP total greater than the token's total hit points, the token will be at max HP.

Healing feedback appears as the HP value regained as a number on the token in blue.

Damage Tokens
Use the Damage Tokens Button while tokens are selected. A dialog will appear where you can enter an amount of standard damage, energy damage, bleed damage, or any combination of the three. Each of these fields will also accept dice notation ("xdy+z"), rolling the value once and applying the result to all selected token.

Amount: Damage entered in the Amount field is stopped by the token's Damage resistance by default. If the damage is coming from a non-energy attack that ignores damage reduction (such as a paladin's smite or an attack with the necessary qualities such as silver or adamantine) you may check the "Ignore DR" box and the damage will ignore DR on all tokens.

Energy: Damage entered in the Energy field ignores DR by default. You can select an energy type from the adjacent list, and that will check the token for any specified Immunities, Vulnerabilities, or Resistance, then apply those properties to the incoming damage.

Bleed: Damage entered in the Bleed Field will be subtracted each round as it becomes the creature's turn in initiative. This property will be reversed if the creature receives any type of healing.

Saving throw: Checking the "Saving Throw" box will bring up a second dialog when the damage is applied. In this dialog, there will be a list of all selected creatures, and three radio buttons for "Full", "Half" and "None". Select the option applicable, and the damage will be modified for that token.

Stop Regeneration: check "Stop Regeneration" if you want to suspend the creature's next round of regeneration after this damage is applied. This is appropriate for creatures such as trolls if the damage being applied is from acid or fire. The creature will forgo its next turn of regeneration, but afterward will resume HP recovery normally unless it is damaged again with "Stop Regeneration" checked.

Nonlethal: This feature is a work in progress.

Damage feedback appears on the token in Red.

Setup Token
Use the set-up token panel to assign the various defense properties you want to track.

Init: The initiative score of the token. This is for the convenience of the GM and isn't necessary to run the initiative tools.

Constitution Score: This determines the token's behavior when it falls to zero HP or lower. A token will be dead when it reaches a negative HP value equal to it's Constitution score. This field has no effect on the number of HP the token has.

Target Type: This determines the token's behavior when it falls to zero HP or lower. Select "undead" if a token is destroyed at zero HP.

Total Hit Points: This is the total number of positive HP for the token. There is no HP calculation going on, so any change to the token's Constitution score above will not increase the Total Hit Points on the token.

Hit Point Recovery: This is the value of any Fast Healing or Regeneration properties the token has. The token will regain this amount of HP at the beginning of it's turn unless it is at full HP or it has been damaged by a "Stop Regeneration" attack (see Damage Tokens above).

Temporary Hit Points: This is the number of Temporary HP on the token.

Damage Reduction: This is the value of Damage reduction on the token. This will be subtracted from all applied damage amounts except Energy attacks, bleed, or damage with the "Ignore DR" checkbox checked.

Acid, Cold, Elec., Fire, Sonic: The radio buttons on each line allow you to choose Immunity, Vulnerability, or Resistance to each elemental damage type. Select "Resist" with a value of 0 (the default) if the creature has no elemental properties.

Clear the initiative panel
This button will remove all tokens from the initiative panel. It also removes all Damage and Healing Feedback, and the "Active" state from any tokens that possess it.

Roll initiative for selected tokens
This button shows a dialog with the name of all selected characters, followed by a text field with that token's initiative roll in dice notation ("xdy+x"). You may input a "Final" integer value in any of the fields, in any combination. If your players enjoy rolling their own initiative, you can input the values they rolled for each token, and then use the dice notation to automatically roll for the NPCs. Or you can cheat and give your NPCs good initiative rolls!

Pressing the "Add" button will perform any necessary rolls, add the tokens to the initiative panel, assign their initiatives, and sort the panel.

NOTE: The initiative rolling macro only supports tokens with alpha-numeric characters and underscores. Any spaces or punctuation marks will break the macro.

Advance the initiative

This button replaces the function of the next button in the initative panel. You must be careful to not to accidentally use the initative panel next button. If you want to leverage features like Bleed, Fast healing, Duration Tracking, etc, you must use this button to advance the initiative.

Show timers
This button shows the Effect Timer List window, which is a list of ongoing effects specified by the GM. The list sorts from "most time remaining" to "least time remaining" and has fields for Creator and Affected tokens. Whenever the advance time buttons are used (see below) the time remaining on each effect in this window is updated.

Any effect in the list can be dismissed by clicking the "X" button next to its effect name.

Add a new timer
This button brings up a dialog that allows you to define a new timer.

Effect Name: This is the name of the effect. Each effect name must be unique.

Creator:This is the creator of the effect. If there is an Initiative in progress, this will be the name of the currently active character in initiative by default (although you can specify any other token if necessary). If there is no initiative in progress, the name "GM" will be the default Creator. Effects end once the number of rounds remaining is Zero and their creator's turn in the initiative is up.

Duration Value: This is the numerical value of the duration (rounds by default).

Duration Interval: This list allows you to create timers with large increments of duration (rounds, minutes, minutes x 10, hours).

Affected Tokens: This field is a convenience for the GM, allowing him to note which tokens are affected by an effect. The format is a comma-separated list of token names, with the selected tokens appearing by default.

Advance time

+R: This button advances time by one full round.
+M: This button advances time by a minute (ten rounds).
+H: This button advances time by one hour (600 rounds).

Reset Clock
This button sets the campaign clock to 0:00. Doing this will eradicate your existing effect timers.

Health Bars
Temporary HP: Orange
Hit Points: Red
Negative HP: Purple
Attachments
PRPG Toolbar.cmpgn
(2.15 MiB) Downloaded 1350 times

Micco
Giant

Re: TR's Pathfinder Toolbar

Post by Micco »

That's pretty awesome! I use the L.Markus Framework, but your toolbar adds some great features that are missing (the timer, in particular!) I don't notice many properties, so I assume that the property dependencies are pretty minor. I see quite a few (pretty interesting) custom states and bars. How dependent is your bar on this particular campaign file? I'm tempted to try just dragging your two icons over to my campaign and trying it out. But if you think that's a bad idea let me know, since I won't get to it till this weekend.

One requested upgrade would be to add dates to your menu bar. I'd love to keep track of time and be able to glance up and say that it was 18 Rova 4709.

Very cool...and thanks for sharing!

toyrobots
Dragon

Post by toyrobots »

Micco wrote:That's pretty awesome!
Thanks!
Micco wrote:I use the L.Markus Framework, but your toolbar adds some great features that are missing (the timer, in particular!) I don't notice many properties, so I assume that the property dependencies are pretty minor.I see quite a few (pretty interesting) custom states and bars. How dependent is your bar on this particular campaign file? I'm tempted to try just dragging your two icons over to my campaign and trying it out. But if you think that's a bad idea let me know, since I won't get to it till this weekend.
To put it into another campaign file, save a copy of the Lib:PathfinderRPG token, the button image tokens (there are several of these in stacked) and the campaign properties. Then drop the lib and image tokens in your new campaign, and load the new properties. As long as you have the Libs, Images, and props, you're good to go.

All the properties are hidden and accessed through getProperty() and setProperty(), which is why you only see the one prop in the campaign props. They get initialized when you run the "setup token" button, so nothing will work until you have set up the token.
Micco wrote:One requested upgrade would be to add dates to your menu bar. I'd love to keep track of time and be able to glance up and say that it was 18 Rova 4709.
Dates would be cool. First, I would like to be sure that the basic rounds/hours/minutes scheme is actually usable in the game context. I've tried it a few times in my own game with good results, but it is definitely one of the more complex tasks a gm can manage. Worth doing right!

Thanks very much for the input!

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I suggest some screen shots. You usually get more interest that way.

toyrobots
Dragon

Post by toyrobots »

aliasmask wrote:I suggest some screen shots. You usually get more interest that way.
Aye aye!

Here's the toolbar. The instructions in the first post above are in order from left to right:
Toolbar.png
Toolbar.png (15.6 KiB) Viewed 24429 times
Here's the screen for setting up a token to work with the toolbar:
Setup.png
Setup.png (26.51 KiB) Viewed 24429 times
Here's the damage entry screen:
Damage Entry.png
Damage Entry.png (16.76 KiB) Viewed 24429 times
If you selected "Saving Throw" on the damage entry screen, you get this saving throw entry screen. I love this one, saves me a ton of time as a GM:
Saving Throw.png
Saving Throw.png (14.3 KiB) Viewed 24429 times
Here's what damage bar looks like (token art by Paul O'Connell, my bro):
Damage Bar.png
Damage Bar.png (40.15 KiB) Viewed 24429 times
The timer list. You have to remember to use it when your players cast stuff, but after that it is SUPER USEFUL:
Timer List.png
Timer List.png (31.95 KiB) Viewed 24429 times
This is the new timer entry window:
New Timer.png
New Timer.png (16.09 KiB) Viewed 24429 times
Well, I hope this is enough to whet your appetites. Get in there and try it out! And thanks for looking!

Micco
Giant

Post by Micco »

What's really cool is that you create a timer entry, add it to the list and as long as you use the initiative management system and advance the rounds the timer event goes away at the appropriate time. That is worth the price of admission all by itself. Now if we could just expand the timer system to cover days and weeks I could actually remember to roll those "Onset 1 Day" diseases!

toyrobots
Dragon

Post by toyrobots »

Theoretically, you could do that now with 24 hours duration effects. I definitely see the appeal of your idea, though.

One obstacle to implementing a calendar is that not everyone is using the Golarion calender in Pathfinder. So, at least in the short term, I'm far more likely to implement "days" as the next increment instead of naming them. So a campaign might end up on Day 406 or something. That would be nice and campaign-agnostic.

Would that satisfy you, at least for the short term?

Also, would you want announcements to pop up when items expire?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I might have to nick your idea of a toolbar. I've been wanting to have a persistent window open to handle onTokenSelect and whatnots. The campaign and global macro windows are getting somewhat unruly. My idea is to have it open a character sheet, do skill checks, damage, attacks, targeting, items and spells. I'm eventually working towards making my own framework and I think a toolbar would be integral to the build. I may go with form submit buttons with images because they're more responsive when clicked, but not necessarily better looking.

toyrobots
Dragon

Post by toyrobots »

Feel free to crib anything from me if you want.

I had a prototype for a player toolbar that did basically what you're saying — I used it to manage token impersonation AND attack targeting depending on the selected mode. It worked pretty well but I needed more support for player ratings, modifiers, etc. to justify it. I'll be working on that soon enough I'm sure.

What would be really nice is if we could actually get a community Pathfinder framework going from the ground up — starting with a design goal at the outset. I don't suppose you'd be interested?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I only play 3.5, but the stuff I usually do is usually generic enough to work with Pathfinder. I have some ideas on how feats and abilities should be stored and saved to be generic enough to effect multiple area with the settings. You could describe a weapons magic enhancement with the same language as a feat or a casting spell.

I think I'm pretty close to having an overall design goal. My thought is that 3.5 will be the same as Pathfinder with a few exceptions, but if the design is versatile enough it could be handled by data manipulation and wouldn't need any special coding (ie if(isPathfinder) ), but I don't know all the difference in Pathfinder to say that with certainty.

The biggest roadblock I'm running in to is with speed and data storage. I don't want the speed to suffer with complexity and volume of data. I found data retrieval to be really fast by only making one level of complexity with json objects, but the more properties created affects the set speed, but the larger and more complex the object affects the get speed. I'm trying to find the happy medium for my spell library. Once I come up with a doable solution, that will effect all my future coding of large dbs. Right now I'm just trying to see what pieces fit and what more I need to make it all work well. Speed is very important. It drive me crazy right now when I apply or remove a mod. I know it's going through a fairly complex set of commands but I think the problem is with the data structures, rather than the code.

So, yeah, I'm interested in a ground up framework for both 3.5 and Pathfinder and it's something I have been working on for the last 3 months (with many distractions). I could formalize my "grand" plan in to a document with varying levels of detail if you want to look it over we can collaborate on some design issues and perhaps share the workload on coding.

toyrobots
Dragon

Post by toyrobots »

aliasmask wrote: So, yeah, I'm interested in a ground up framework for both 3.5 and Pathfinder and it's something I have been working on for the last 3 months (with many distractions). I could formalize my "grand" plan in to a document with varying levels of detail if you want to look it over we can collaborate on some design issues and perhaps share the workload on coding.
Well, I am very happy to look over any kind of foundational design. I'm sure I won't bring much more technical expertise than you already have, but another pair of eyes is a good thing. You should start another thread and I will we sure to weigh in on that.

skester
Giant

Post by skester »

Excellent!

I am going to have to borrow from you as well.

Right now I have a frame that I use for "onTokenSelect" for the critters.
MonsterSheet.png
MonsterSheet.png (18.69 KiB) Viewed 24387 times
But it's in desperate need of updating. And I see lots of useful things to use.

Thanks,
Skester

toyrobots
Dragon

Post by toyrobots »

BTW, guys the button images I made myself. I welcome you to steal them, but be sure that you show me how you're using them!

skester
Giant

Post by skester »

For healing and damage (on my PC frame anways), I use the following for healing and damage.
Damage1.png
Damage1.png (6.08 KiB) Viewed 24384 times
Heal.png
Heal.png (5.19 KiB) Viewed 24384 times
Forget where I got them from. Someone on the message boards I owe thanks to for them.
PC-Quicksheet.png
PC-Quicksheet.png (21.21 KiB) Viewed 24384 times
The arrow up and down are to drop and pick up items. The potion is for healing items (if they have). Torch and Lantern toggle light sources.

Next to the + on the Health section, when the PC drops to below 0 HPs, a bandage icon will show up. The PC can click on this to try to stabalize from dying.

Skester

Micco
Giant

Post by Micco »

toyrobots wrote:Theoretically, you could do that now with 24 hours duration effects. I definitely see the appeal of your idea, though.

One obstacle to implementing a calendar is that not everyone is using the Golarion calender in Pathfinder. So, at least in the short term, I'm far more likely to implement "days" as the next increment instead of naming them. So a campaign might end up on Day 406 or something. That would be nice and campaign-agnostic.

Would that satisfy you, at least for the short term?

Also, would you want announcements to pop up when items expire?
I'm appreciative of anything you do, so I'm easy to please!

Adding a "Days" increment would be great and should help watch those daily conditions. I understand about the calendar. As you guys consider the framework you might want to think about building a flexible calendar system. I'd imagine (on the user side) a system where I could create a calendar token that had properties something like:

(Warning: the code below is protocode just to illustrate the idea!)

Code: Select all

CurrrentDateTime={{Year:1234},{Month:1},{Day:22},{Hour:20},{Minute:34},{Round:2}}
Months={January:31,February:28,March:30,....,December:31}
LeapYear={{BaseYear:1200},{Modulus:4},{Month:2},{Add:1}}
Days={{BaseYear:1200},{{Common:Monday,Elven:Moonday},{Common:Tuesday,Elven:Twinday},...,{Common:Sunday,Elven:Sunday}} ---BaseYear is when Month 1, Day 1 = "Monday"
SpecialDays={{Month:1,Day:5,{Common:BeerFest, Dwarven:Woohoo!},{Other stuff...}},{Month:4, Day:22,{Common:SpringForward,Elven:Huh?},{Other stuff...}}}
Events={{Some way of having dynamic events that the GM can enter on the fly. They would popup when DateTime equals some entered value. Examples would be long-term DC checks, etc.)
If I get a chance this week while I have a break from work I might play with it some more, but that's the type of system that might allow a campaign to keep track of time and events on a larger scale.

EDIT: I just ran across a macro that has some of these featureson another thread. I haven't tested it yet, but I did want to point people there if they are interested in a calendar/time tracking system.

Return to “D&D 3.5/Pathfinder 1e Campaign Macros”