Macro Request - Dice Box (Solved!)

Discussion concerning lmarkus' campaign framework for D&D3.x and Pathfinder.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice, lmarkus001

Forum rules
Discussion regarding lmarkus001's framework only. Other posts deleted without notice! :)
ShirraWhitefur
Kobold

Macro Request - Dice Box (Solved!)

Post by ShirraWhitefur »

Greetings folks!
I'd been starting to try tinkering, very unsuccessfully, with macro stuff to make things easier for a game I'm helping run. And when I say easier.. I'm meaning dreadfully easy, since half our players are computer illiterate in a way that makes you think to choose someone's particularly slow pet rabbit over them when you want someone to do a simple web search.
As such, I'd started making simple press-buttons for rolling the basic d4 through d100 setups without mods, for skills, attacks, and so on. That's.. a lot of buttons. And a lot of editing of each button on each token every time something changed, and no room for modifiers or any of that. But it was still better than trying to have them remember how to use the standard dice roller and look at a sheet.

So! I went hunting for something better, to learn from.. then found the framework and went, 'Yay, most of the work done for me!'. There's many parts we likely just won't use unless we get bored and do extra prep work, -but- it's nice to see they're there as an option. There's just one little thing missing.. a dice box. ... And yes, I know, it'd be good if people would learn how to do things with maptool, but they're not going to most likely, and we want to focus on play and have fun, instead of making the technology impaired struggle.

Any chance I can get someone to throw this together for me? I've got a -vague- idea on how to pull this off, but I'm not sure if I can get it to do the public/secret part, without going heavily into picking through all the other macro-lib-stuffs which is just asking for my amateur self to mess up. :)
If so, we're looking for..
Amount of dice rolled input box, with a default of 1 in it.
Selection radio, horizontal (like the "secret?" selection) in die sizes of d4/d6/d8/d10/d12/d20/d100. If defaults are possible here, default to d20.
Modifier to the end roll input box.
And the "Secret?" toggle.

This will cover just about everything the players might need to do, and for anything more complicated, I'll do up the rolls myself in standard maptool fashions. Thusly, everyone would be happy. :D

In any case, thanks to all those that have worked on this framework. Time for me to sit back and work on getting our PC's slapped into it properly.

- Shirra

- Note - Working off the 'MT1.3.63_DnD35PathfinderCore05' campaign file as basis, if it matters/helps.
Last edited by ShirraWhitefur on Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Macro Request - Dice Box, for technology impaired player

Post by aliasmask »

Check the user creations and drop-in resources. I believe Rumble has a dicebox.

ShirraWhitefur
Kobold

Post by ShirraWhitefur »

That.. Definitely looks like it'll work! ^_^ Testing it out.

Yep! That's exactly what's needed. Actually better than what I was looking to get quick-built. Between that and resizing all the macro-buttons to standardized size and some reordering, looks like I'll be messing with each player's UI a bit to get it all laid out just so.. and we should have a lot easier play! Thanks folks.

- Shirra

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Re: Macro Request - Dice Box (Solved!)

Post by lmarkus001 »

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=19839

That contains the latest release version of the framework and has many other peoples tools integrated (to include the DiceBox).

I posted up a tweak to the Dicebox (in it's thread) that shows dice images in the tooltip (which is kinda neat). I am including this tweak in my next framework release (soonish).

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

ShirraWhitefur wrote:[...] looks like I'll be messing with each player's UI a bit to get it all laid out just so..
Each time MapTool shuts down cleanly it writes to a file named .maptool/config/layout.dat (search your drive for it if you don't know where MT keeps its files). That file is the layout of the panels you see on the screen: Chat panel, Campaign Macro panel, and so forth.

It likely won't work to just copy it from machine to machine if those systems have different screen resolutions (I'm not sure, but I would guess that some pixel resolutions are stored in it). But it would give you a quick and easy way to at least get the relative layout the way you want it.

Return to “D&D 3.5/Pathfinder 1e Campaign Macros”