Null Pointer Exception

Discussion concerning lmarkus' campaign framework for D&D3.x and Pathfinder.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice, lmarkus001

Forum rules
Discussion regarding lmarkus001's framework only. Other posts deleted without notice! :)
DMFTodd
Cave Troll

Null Pointer Exception

Post by DMFTodd »

On the b84 version, about half of the players receive null pointer exception errors. This only occurs:
1) In the campaign with the framework. Doesn't happen in a plain, blank campaign.
2) Only happens once Initiative has been rolled. If there is no init, they move their tokens fine. Once init rolls, touching or moving their token causes the error.

Below is the error text. Any ideas? Windows computers, up to date on Java, b84 build. This did not happen the last campaign, when we ran the b54 build.

Code: Select all

java.lang.NullPointerException
 at net.rptools.maptool.client.tool.PointerTool.mouseDragged(PointerTool.java:646)
 at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseDragged(Unknown Source)
 at java.awt.Component.processMouseMotionEvent(Unknown Source)
 at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseMotionEvent(Unknown Source)
 at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
 at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
 at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
 at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
 at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
 at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
 at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
 at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
 at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
 at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
 at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
 at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
 at java.awt.EventQueue.access$000(Unknown Source)
 at java.awt.EventQueue$1.run(Unknown Source)
 at java.awt.EventQueue$1.run(Unknown Source)
 at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
 at java.security.AccessControlContext$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
 at java.awt.EventQueue$2.run(Unknown Source)
 at java.awt.EventQueue$2.run(Unknown Source)
 at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
 at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
 at net.rptools.maptool.client.swing.MapToolEventQueue.dispatchEvent(MapToolEventQueue.java:25)
 at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
 at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
 at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
 at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
 at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
 at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

neofax
Great Wyrm

Re: Null Pointer Exception

Post by neofax »

Known problem and fixed in SVN(Subversion). Check out the B84 announcement thread.
Last edited by neofax on Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DMFTodd
Cave Troll

Post by DMFTodd »

SVN? Social Value Network? Signal Vs. Noise? Serial Vin Number?

In the announcement thread, I see lMarkus mention turning off (or maybe it's on) the Locked Player Movement from the menu (Edit > Preferences, Application tab -- which means players can only move their token if it's init? That's kind of a pain.) AND for the init panel (in the Init window, click the down arrow next to Next, Lock Movement). I'll give that a try.

For anyone else, like me, searching the Maptool subforum looking for the b84 announcement thread -- it's not there. It's in the Announcement subforum:
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... &start=135

Page 5 has the first mention of the problem. lMarkus workaround is mentioned on page 7. (Why this group seems to prefer threads with multiple topics running to dozens of pages, thus making it very difficult to find specific information, is beyond me. I'm thankful for all the replies and hard work though and will now keep my whiny mouth shut.)

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

DMFTodd wrote:(Why this group seems to prefer threads with multiple topics running to dozens of pages, thus making it very difficult to find specific information, is beyond me. I'm thankful for all the replies and hard work though and will now keep my whiny mouth shut.)
It's a trade-off. If we have 20 threads that all concern b84 then we'll get similar complaints about how everything isn't in one place.

Can't please all the people all the time... :roll:

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

Included a Wikipedia link and a explanation of the acronym SVN.

DMFTodd
Cave Troll

Post by DMFTodd »

OK, I know what SVN means now but... what does that mean? It kind of makes me think a new version is available. There's mention of a b84 (p1) version but the download page has just b84 on it.

Regardless, everybody updated again last night and we still had the problem. I turned off the Lock Movement in the initiative window, problem fixed.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Every build gets a sequence number. b84 is "1.3 Final (patch01)". b85 will be "1.3 Final (patch02)".

The bug you're reporting is supposed to be fixed. We keep our source code in SVN so saying, "the fix is in SVN" is letting people know that it has been fixed. If they want to try it out, they can install a Java IDE and then grab a copy of the source code. Most people won't want to go through all that trouble ... unless it's a really important bug for them and they want to test it BEFORE the build comes out so that they can report that it does (or does not) work. If we (the devs) know it doesn't work, we can try to get it fixed before the actual build is out.

I plan to do b85 tomorrow. (Tonight's game canceled so I might get to it tonight, but I'm running behind on some other stuff so...)

Return to “D&D 3.5/Pathfinder 1e Campaign Macros”