MT1.3b87.02 Campaign Framework

Discussion concerning lmarkus' campaign framework for D&D3.x and Pathfinder.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice, lmarkus001

Forum rules
Discussion regarding lmarkus001's framework only. Other posts deleted without notice! :)
Avotas
Cave Troll

Re: MT1.3b86.04 Campaign Framework (Under Construction)

Post by Avotas »

Hi lmarkus001,

Nice work as always. I use your framework for my games. Anyhow, I think your new Target Type window is a little visually confusing, so I broke apart the Core Info and visually aligned all the lower elements. What do you think?

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

That is a tradeoff of space vs. modular clarity. I went with the more compact grouping to keep the size of the dialog smaller.

Avotas
Cave Troll

Post by Avotas »

Can a scroll bar be added (See the Attack macro) to reduce space? My fear, and first impression, is nobody will take the time to study it before using it. They will just choose not use it.

-Avotas

Elorebaen
Dragon

Post by Elorebaen »

Welcome back lm!

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

I have been trying to get my targeting code stable enough for a release. I thought I had it but just found out an interesting tidbit...

Stack Size setting for 64-bit Java is not the same as 32 bit Java.

Specifically, I try to keep my framework working within a 2M stack size. As I was testing, the targeting macros are running fine with a 2M stack with 32-bit Java, but run out of room with 64-bit Java. I have tried a few code optimizations, but am nearing the point I will just require a 3M stack for 64-bit Java.

EDIT:

Oh now wait! It is the client running 64-bit Java that is running out of stack. The server is not. Weird stuff that one machine runs the code and the other does not.

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

lmarkus001 wrote:Oh now wait! It is the client running 64-bit Java that is running out of stack. The server is not. Weird stuff that one machine runs the code and the other does not.
When I used to play 4E and used Veggiesama's code, on one PC I had to use 4M SS and the other 3M would work. I never really understood why and chalked it up to JAVA's quirks.
Time-Zone information UTC -5

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

Yeah, it runs in both 64 & 32 bit on one machine, but only in 32 bit on the other machine (unless I up the stack). Scripting should not require the programmer to bother with stack lol!!!

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

lmarkus001 wrote:Yeah, it runs in both 64 & 32 bit on one machine, but only in 32 bit on the other machine (unless I up the stack). Scripting should not require the programmer to bother with stack lol!!!
You can say that again! Java should allow the stack to be set from INSIDE the jar file too, but it doesn't. And such a change isn't even on the radar for Oracle/Sun/OpenJava.

At some point we'll ditch MTscript and move to JS using a well-tested JS engine. That should solve many (all?) of the memory issues related to MTscript.

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Re: MT1.3b87.02 Campaign Framework (LATEST VERSION)

Post by lmarkus001 »

Ok, put up the latest version. You may need a stack size of 3MB to run (I usually run with 2 but some of the new stuff needs 3 on certain machines and certain phases of the moon).

Avotas
Cave Troll

Post by Avotas »

Sweet. I will do some testing tonight. If successful play test will happen July 1st.

Elorebaen
Dragon

Post by Elorebaen »

Thank you for the new update LM!!

For the life of me I cannot get the new targeting mechanism to apply the mods to those in the target area. I am using the Limbo map, with both a player PC and a number of NPCs. Pathfinder. Going to do some more testing tonight.

Avotas
Cave Troll

Post by Avotas »

Elorebaen wrote:Thank you for the new update LM!!

For the life of me I cannot get the new targeting mechanism to apply the mods to those in the target area. I am using the Limbo map, with both a player PC and a number of NPCs. Pathfinder. Going to do some more testing tonight.
Same. I am working on a list. I found 5 or 6 issues.

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

I don't have to actually have it work if it does nothing!!! :-)
  • 1) Set Target - A target token must be set. I recommend using my Summon macro to summon a cross hair.

2) Make Core choices - Make sure you have integers in: Range (radius), Caster Level, Difficulty, and Bonus vs SR. Select the type of area you desire (Sphere, Block, Cone).

3) Saving Throw setup - IF the effect/damage gets a save or is impacted by Spell Resistance, configure a Saving Throw (for example, Reflex & SR=Yes for Fireball).

4) Setup Effect/Damage - If effect, choose mod-set, if damage enter formula or integer. If Effect/Damage is impacted by a save or SR, then select the relevant saving throw (1 or 2) that you configured above and choose what the save means (apply on save/fail, etc.). Choose target restrictions (creature type, NPC/PC).

5) Press Fire in the Hole - Each person that owns tokens in the area will be sent a link in the chat. This will NOT fire if you have more than one token selected.

6) UPDATE - Each person clicks their link to apply the desired effects/damage to their tokens.

So the application of effects/damage is done by the individuals that OWN the tokens. This alleviates the issue of multiple people touching a token at the same time (and helps keep folks engaged in the action and gives them the knowledge they are rolling their own saves :-) ).
Last edited by lmarkus001 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elorebaen
Dragon

Post by Elorebaen »

lmarkus001 wrote:

I don't have to actually have it work if it does nothing!!! :-)
  • 1) Set Target - A target token must be set. I recommend using my Summon macro to summon a cross hair.

2) Make Core choices - Make sure you have integers in: Range (radius), Caster Level, Difficulty, and Bonus vs SR. Select the type of area you desire (Sphere, Block, Cone).

3) Saving Throw setup - IF the effect/damage gets a save or is impacted by Spell Resistance, configure a Saving Throw (for example, Reflex & SR=Yes for Fireball).

4) Setup Effect/Damage - If effect, choose mod-set, if damage enter formula or integer. If Effect/Damage is impacted by a save or SR, then select the relevant saving throw (1 or 2) that you configured above and choose what the save means (apply on save/fail, etc.). Choose target restrictions (creature type, NPC/PC).

5) Press Fire in the Hole - Each person that owns tokens in the area will be sent a link in the chat. This will NOT fire if you have more than one token selected.

6) UPDATE - Each person clicks their link to apply the desired effects/damage to their tokens.
Ahhhh, I see what I was doing. I wasn't pressing the "Update" link in the chat window. Worked as written. Thanks LM! I'll be running a game on Sun, so if anything else pops up I'll post after that.

dontadow
Cave Troll

Post by dontadow »

This is great. I do have a quick question. I do death a bit differently in my campaign. How do i edit the death rules (where do i go).

In my game PCS are disabled after they hit -0 and for every -10 they receive an injury. If a player has 4 injuries they are dead.

One day i want to try the whole rules, but for now I'd be satisfied with tokens not turning into obstacles once they reach -10. How do I change this to them just becoming prone and disabled indefinately?

Return to “D&D 3.5/Pathfinder 1e Campaign Macros”