MT1.3b87.02 Campaign Framework

Discussion concerning lmarkus' campaign framework for D&D3.x and Pathfinder.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice, lmarkus001

Forum rules
Discussion regarding lmarkus001's framework only. Other posts deleted without notice! :)
z3n1st
Kobold

Re: MT1.3b87.02 Campaign Framework (LATEST VERSION)

Post by z3n1st »

I am experiancing an issue whenever I move token while using the framework. I am not the DM but I am the only one experiencing it. I helped the DM test some features on a duplicate campaign file

error I am seeing:

Error running onTokenMove on lib:OnTokenMove : Error executing "movedOverToken": the token name or id "MappedPad 1" is unknown

I have no idea why or how to resolve it

cannuck
Kobold

Post by cannuck »

If this has already been addressed I apologize but I couldn't find it. Is there a way to import Hero Lab characters into this framework? I downloaded TokenLab and tried to import using that but couldn't get tokens that were compatible with the macros in this framework. Any help is appreciated.

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

z3n1st wrote:I am experiancing an issue whenever I move token while using the framework. I am not the DM but I am the only one experiencing it. I helped the DM test some features on a duplicate campaign file

error I am seeing:

Error running onTokenMove on lib:OnTokenMove : Error executing "movedOverToken": the token name or id "MappedPad 1" is unknown

I have no idea why or how to resolve it
This sounds like the campaign file in question had the map Limbo removed, and then the Bag of Tricks setup macro was not re-run to process the changes to the available teleport pads.

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

billcoke wrote:I'm using this framework and have a question about setting up a weapon for a token. It looks like it will automatically calculate the STR damage for PCs. But I'm trying to set this up to calculate for a dragon NPC. So when the dragon in dnd 3.5 attacks it gets different percentages of its STR bonus depending if it is bite/claws/wings/tail.

Is there a way for me to pull the StrMod variable and multiple it in the "Damage" box for a weapon? I tried "[StrMod] but that didn't work.

I looked for a manual or set of instructions for the MT Framework but I'm not finding it. I probably missed it right in front of my face right?
Check out some of the example monster tokens as they are a great source of understanding...

The WeaponSet configuration has parameters for most attack options. Note the Primary vs. Secondary (this effects to-hit as well as Strength damage), and the various ways of wielding the weapon (Two-handed/Sole attack give 1.5x Strength bonus). The original thread has an in depth discussion of the attack setup...

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

cannuck wrote:If this has already been addressed I apologize but I couldn't find it. Is there a way to import Hero Lab characters into this framework? I downloaded TokenLab and tried to import using that but couldn't get tokens that were compatible with the macros in this framework. Any help is appreciated.
I've been modifing the PF2StatBlock macro to accomodate HL files and I try and fix things as I encounter them (so will most likely not account for EVERY HL file) but it does a decent job so far.

Although I found some things lacking in the framework (or more likely my lack of understanding the framework) and as such made some changes to the properties.

I've posted a .cmpgn with my modifications here: http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=53&p=237707 (3 posts from bottom on page 7).

Feel free to try imports on this campaign and/or pull what is needed if you want. Also, I rely heavily on statsheet and as such display most things I need there. It usually covers 90% of what I need. Any monster more complicated I run off HL directly and just track HP on the token.
-Jamz

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I have a patch for an error that occurs when un-equipping the last item of your items. This may also fix equipped items mysteriously being removed during the game.

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=23585

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Have any bug reports?

There are some subtle differences when using java 6 and java 7 with this framework. If you find any bugs or weirdness please post them here or in FW Index and I'll try and fix it. This includes only the core macros and perhaps the Plothos spell manager.

I have been working on some updates and I'll release them after some more testing with my group. So, if you find any other bugs I'll see what I can do to fix them and add them to an updated lib token.

Deuterazamus
Kobold

Re: MT1.3b87.02 Campaign Framework

Post by Deuterazamus »

Since Jamz posted his campaign in the thead he linked I've been exploring the framework deeper and deeper, searching for differences between the stock version and his.
There's one thing I noticed that I'd like to share with you guys.

In short, my conclusion is that Vital Strike (and Improved and Greater) can work in unexpected ways, but let me elaborate a little further.
Suppose our PC has a +2 Flaming Greatsword (2d6+2 + 1d6 Flaming); the player configures the weapon putting 2d6+2 in the "Damage" field and 1d6 in the "Extra Damage" one. Or at least this is the most intuitive setup... and the wrong one.
In fact attacking with the above using Vital Strike yields to a slightly wrong damage total. LibAttack rerolls the whole Damage (lines 225-229) thus granting 2 (or 4 or 6 for Improved and Greater VS) additional damage. Moreover the player will have a really hard time noticing the mistake as the 2/4/6 spurious damage can easily attibuted to the extra dice rolls from VS (whose results are not traced in the tooltip).
One might set things up so that the "Damage" field is populated with the damage dice only and "Extra Damage" is filled with "2 + 1d6" but that will offset che calculations in case of a critical hit as DmgExtra will be applied only once and not multiplied, as it should.

Personally I resolved like Jamz did, adding a new field to the strPropList of each weapon decoupling damage dice and damage bonus, then caculating VS only using damage dice but I'm sure that there are much better ways to approch this issue.

What do you guys think? Did I get it all wrong?

Cheers!

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

Deuterazamus wrote:...

In short, my conclusion is that Vital Strike (and Improved and Greater) can work in ...
My standard reply is: If a mechanic is causing an issue, kill the character off that has it (or, if generous, make that player code it). And yes, the weapon, equip-set, weapon-mod, equip-mod configuration structure would enjoy a nice rewrite (this entire framework came out of the very first looping function in MapTools so there is some antiquity here).

With my usual quip out of the way, I think your interpretation is up for discussion. Are weapon magic enhancement bonuses a core part of the weapon? If they are a core part, then the current behavior is correct. The wording on Vital Strike is like most weapon based wording which assumes the + of a magic weapon is inherently part of that weapon.

All of that aside, I am about to release an updated framework, and I will consider Jamz weaponset modification as I think it can be integrated with only a moderate amount of bother.

Deuterazamus
Kobold

Post by Deuterazamus »

lmarkus001 wrote: With my usual quip out of the way, I think your interpretation is up for discussion. Are weapon magic enhancement bonuses a core part of the weapon? If they are a core part, then the current behavior is correct. The wording on Vital Strike is like most weapon based wording which assumes the + of a magic weapon is inherently part of that weapon.
Actually the wording on Vital Strike is quite different from every other feat. In fact is the only one feat (or one of the few, anyway) that explicitly mentions "dice". And since it's one of the most controversial feats in Pathfinder it has received a ton of errata, some of which from Jason Bulmahn himself. Here's something taken straigh from the FAQ of PFSRD (in turn taken from the Paizo boards):
Q: The text of this feat stipulates that the Vital Strike does not multiply Strength damage, weapon ability damage, or precision damage. Are other damage bonuses (those not mentioned, such as those from Weapon Specialization, enhancement bonuses, or the Bard's inspire courage ability) are, in fact, multiplied on a hit? I'm not sure if that's what is intended, though--the wording sounds like it could just be saying, "No damage bonuses, such as X, Y, and Z, are multiplied on a hit. "

A: (Jason Bulmahn) The way to think about it is this: roll the damage dice only twice
I hope to not sound obnoxious... it's just that I've done my homework :wink:

Oh and the news of the new version of your framework is both a blessing and a curse: many new features (that attack frame makes me drool) and so many customizations that will be lost!

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

Well that is a clear reply.

I think with the current attack macro configuration, you will just have to have players do some math to subtract from the reported damage. An alternative would be to parse the damage field and remove anything after a + or - in the damage field (this is being a minimal impact ad-hoc patch).

One of the "issues"/"benefits" of Pathfinder is it is taking on some of the AD&D2.5 and later day 3.5 bloat of throwing in lots of varied tweaks to the core mechanics. This makes a generic combat module more complex. My original structure is as minimized as I could get it at the time (mostly because of the tool restrictions). One day I might get motivated enough to totally rework combat, but that will be a major change. While I am somewhat flexible about adding in little mods here and there, I am very reluctant to change the core data structure. If I spend any energy on that, I should spend it on a complete re-write.

So, if your players won't do the math for Vital Strike (subtracting bonuses), then kill off any characters that have Vital Strike until they yield!

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

This version of the framework is not obsolete! Go check out the new one: http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=23609

rgwynnjr
Cave Troll

Post by rgwynnjr »

Thanks Lindsay for all the work you put into your frameworks and sharing them with us. Can't wait to check it out when I get home.
Yeah... I'm a Druid. No... I don't hung trees, I kick a**.

Return to “D&D 3.5/Pathfinder 1e Campaign Macros”