91.08 Pathfinder + D&D3.5 Framework

Discussion concerning lmarkus' campaign framework for D&D3.x and Pathfinder.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice, lmarkus001

Forum rules
Discussion regarding lmarkus001's framework only. Other posts deleted without notice! :)
Dougal
Cave Troll

Re: 91.08 Pathfinder + D&D3.5 Framework NEW!

Post by Dougal »

I just got to figure out which one to edit on the librarys map

Dougal
Cave Troll

Post by Dougal »

Ok i figured it out and got it working. now the next question is. Is there a way to "auto subtract" the damage the PC/NPC does when using the attack?

Dougal
Cave Troll

Post by Dougal »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND another question. I am playing around with the setup timer and timer functions. Is there a way to "remove" the timer. Also, why does it remove the person from initiative after the timer runs out? is it for summoned creatures only?

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

Elorebaen wrote: At the risk of sounding ignorant, how would you use the Dedicated Skill Check macro to handle the Knowledge skills. The listed approach doesn't work for me. Just says skill not found when I use "Knowledge". Thank you!
Copy-Edit the Campaign macro: <b>Sample Dedicated SkillCheck</b>

Edit these two lines...

Code: Select all

[H: targSkill = "Sense Motive" ]
[H: targSubcat = "" ]

For an arcana check:

[H: targSkill = "Knowledge" ]
[H: targSubcat = "arcana" ]

NOTE: This will fail if the token in question does not have the skill Knowledge (arcana), as will any of the "sub-skill" skills like Profession, Perform, Craft.

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

Dougal wrote:Ok i figured it out and got it working. now the next question is. Is there a way to "auto subtract" the damage the PC/NPC does when using the attack?
Short answer: NO

Detailed answer:
IF there is ONLY one user (ie the GM is running MapTool and projecting on the wall and players never connect), then technically you could implement an auto-damage mechanism.

BUT, MapTool does not handle multiple people touching the same token at the same time. So things like damage need to be handed out to the owner of the token to apply.

Additionally, damage is MASSIVELY fluid. There are tons of mitigations and modifiers. People need to use their brains when applying damage. So this human interaction moment is key to the battle mechanism.

But as you see, the damage is listed in chat so the player can select their token, then click on the damage in chat to apply it. This makes it pretty simple.

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

Dougal wrote:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND another question. I am playing around with the setup timer and timer functions. Is there a way to "remove" the timer. Also, why does it remove the person from initiative after the timer runs out? is it for summoned creatures only?
Historically, I had created a TIMER token that we would copy and drop on the map to monitor running effects. So when that effect was over, it would remove the token from initiative since it was over.

Then when I made the summoned monsters, adding that timer data seemed natural and was easy. Summoned creatures poof when the time runs out so them dropping out of initiative is a nice reminder.

OH! You are using Setup Timer on player/monster tokens! Hummm.... yeah should be easy enough to make a macro to remove the timer data from the token. As a quick fix, EDIT the token (double click it), go to the STATE tab, scroll to the bottom, CHECK "Hide" for the Timer bar.

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

farest92 wrote:Hello!!! first of all i really appreciate your work :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
i've an issue with 3.5 system rules: if i try to use one of the attack command, the system retrieve me a error but if i set th pathfinder system rule i've no problem with.

Error list:

- maptool 1.4.1.8

"Illegal argument type net.sf.json.JSONArray, expecting java.math.BigDecimal or java.lang.String"

- maptools 1.4.0.0 / maptool 1.3.b91

"Error in body of roll.       Statement options (if any): H,FOREACH( m, jMMFields, "" ), CODE       Statement Body (first 200 characters): { [H: changed = 0 ] [H: disable = 1 ] [H: active = if( json.contains( aTMS, m ), 1, 0 ) ] [H: jMM = json.get( meleeMods, m ) ] [H: presetVars = "" ] [H: tjfjMM = json.fields( jMM,"

i've try using java 8 and java 7, but nothing changes :cry:

You are correct! I will fix this!

Elorebaen
Dragon

Post by Elorebaen »

Ahhhh, thank you LM!
lmarkus001 wrote:
Elorebaen wrote: At the risk of sounding ignorant, how would you use the Dedicated Skill Check macro to handle the Knowledge skills. The listed approach doesn't work for me. Just says skill not found when I use "Knowledge". Thank you!
Copy-Edit the Campaign macro: <b>Sample Dedicated SkillCheck</b>

Edit these two lines...

[H: targSkill = "Sense Motive" ]
[H: targSubcat = "" ]

For an arcana check:

[H: targSkill = "Knowledge" ]
[H: targSubcat = "arcana" ]

NOTE: This will fail if the token in question does not have the skill Knowledge (arcana), as will any of the "sub-skill" skills like Profession, Perform, Craft.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: 91.08 Pathfinder + D&D3.5 Framework

Post by aliasmask »

I think I made an update that if there is no skill it returns 0 rather than an error.

42nfl19
Kobold

Post by 42nfl19 »

I am very new to frameworks in Maptools. Last campaign I played we used roll20 it everything was simplified in nature. Now that I am playing in Maptools, I wish to bring some character sheet functionality. I have a few question in regards to frameworks and how they work in general. I am not sure if this is the right thread to ask but seeing as that we are playing in pathfinder I thought to ask here.

From what I downloaded, a framework is basically an engine? A campaign file with bells and whistles built in it? Does that mean if I were to load this FW, make a token with my character sheet, I would not be able to load that token into my GM's game unless his campaign file was running the framework?

Can you even load a character token from one game to another assuming both are using the same framework? I've made simple picture tokens before and was able to drag them into my GM's game.

How easy is it to "upgrade" my GM's vanilla campaign file to run the FW? or is it easier to just have a fresh FW and manually add the maps into it? I am trying to help him out.

I just wanted a token template with builtin character sheet and macro functionality so players can make there character and just drag it in when we load into my GMs game. But FW make this seem very complicated. The tutorials I've seen make it from the GMs point of view where they had to build everything and not really the players view where they make their own and just add it to the game if that makes any sense.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

A framework is just a collection of library tokens, tables, states/bars, token types and a macro panel (campaign window) to access the library macros. I would start with a new framework and he can export his maps to .mtmap files and then import them.

One of the best GM tools is the token importer. You can cut/paste from SRD and it'll create the token for you (you provide the image token). There are a lot of bells and whistles included in the campaign but I would just stick with the basics until you're comfortable using the framework.

42nfl19
Kobold

Post by 42nfl19 »

I have some usability questions with the frame work. Our group has a player host the game and we just join on their "server". For the framework to work properly, is the host of the server meant to be the GM also for the FW to work properly? We had one person host and load the FW as a player. Everyone was able to join as players but we could not see any macros in the campaign window for one. Does it not show if there is no GM? The host did mention that he got a window about there being no GM. The GM who was trying to join himself had problems loading the maps/campaign file. If the problem is that he has to be the host and gm then that is an issue maybe. If the issue is that due to distance or pc specs and he just can't load the campaign properly, I can try and make the campaign file smaller. What are the core maps/tokens/etc are essential? What can I delete safely?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

A player can host and log in as a player and the GM can log in as a GM and things should work fine. I know in my own framework which is very similar to this one there are a couple of macros the server has to run like unlocking player movement macro, but I don't think this FW has that issue.

The host message about no GM should be resolved when the GM joins the game. Basically, for output purposes the GM player names are stored in a variable and that's what the warning is about. (when it's empty)

One thing you can do to help speed things up is create a repository, upload it online getting the shared link and put that link in MT under repositories. This way, info will be downloaded from the online site rather than from the server.

42nfl19
Kobold

Post by 42nfl19 »

If you are talking about using dropbox as an online repository I am unsure on how to do that. Is there a tutorial thread with instructions on how to do it? Also what parts of the FW can be "offloaded" to the repository? What parts can straight up be deleted so I can also have a "bare bones" FW? The smaller I can make this the easier I can make this be for players. We have people playing in europe and people playing in US so having to not download from the game/server could be a real big help. We had issues last session of players(the GM especially) having trouble getting in the server so the smaller the better. We had to go back to a vanilla version of the campaign file.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Yeah, I've played with people around the world in vastly different time zones and found using dropbox to be a good solution to lag.

It's pretty easy, just upload the file to dropbox, get the public link and then paste in to the repository tab in MT under campaign properties. You may have to add ?dl=1 to the end.

Return to “D&D 3.5/Pathfinder 1e Campaign Macros”