[D&D3.5 + Pathfinder] MT1.3b63 Campaign Macros r05

Discussion concerning lmarkus' campaign framework for D&D3.x and Pathfinder.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice, lmarkus001

Forum rules
Discussion regarding lmarkus001's framework only. Other posts deleted without notice! :)
Corea
Kobold

Re: [D&D3.5 + Pathfinder] MT1.3b63 Campaign Macros r05

Post by Corea »

Thanks, Azhrei. I messed around a bit and figured mostly the PC stuff out.

Questions

1. I've poked, prodded, and molested 9-EBT 4931. I still do not understand its biology. How is it related to a PCs special attack grapple? How do you get it to work?
2. Why does a PC/NPC token turn into an Object type when it dies? Is there a way to turn it back into a token w/out losing all the data?
3. Is there an option to remove handouts from the configuration?

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Corea wrote:1. I've poked, prodded, and molested 9-EBT 4931. I still do not understand its biology. How is it related to a PCs special attack grapple? How do you get it to work?
Evard's tentacles was turned into a token to represent the area of effect of the spell. And I believe it has macros on it to help manage creatures being caught within its area. Check either the campaign macros or the macros on the token itself; I don't remember off-hand where they are...
2. Why does a PC/NPC token turn into an Object type when it dies? Is there a way to turn it back into a token w/out losing all the data?
So that the GM doesn't have to worry about accidentally selecting it by dragging a selection box across the map (for example).

In my case, I'd like it to stay a token a little while longer as I allow healing to bring a creature back from death as long as it's administered within 1 round of the telling blow (I think this better illustrates the simultaneous nature of combat), but I haven't modified the macros to do so. I would probably just remove the automatic-move-to-Object-layer code and put a single macro button on the campaign panel that does that function.
Don't know. Neofax uses them to great effect but I haven't played with them much.

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

Why would you remove them? To slim down the D/L or to add to another FW? If the latter, Lindsay has done this so others can benefit from using just the handouts and Movement in say a 4E FW. The former can be done, but I do not have such a intimate knowledge of the FW. If I spent the time, I probably could figure it out.

Paradox
Dragon

Post by Paradox »

It seems to me that you could can delete the line off of the handout table, which would reduce the size of the campaign file. You'd still have the listing on the Handout configuration menu, however you can change the handout to something else, or disable everyone's access to it.

I used the handout function a lot when I was running Pathfinder (which I hope to return to soon), and I use Lindsay's Generic version of the Handout Tools alongside Rumble's 4E FW.
I no longer believe that MapTools is usuable or intended just for programmers. MapTools is for everyone.

SDShannonS
Giant

Post by SDShannonS »

I've been using an older version of the framework for a while now but I'm considering upgrading since we're starting a new Kingmaker campaign. One thing I'm surprised to see missing from the Special Attacks still is a Coup de Grace attack.

I hacked one in the old framework but it was a serious PITA due to the way the rolls in the attack, damage, and crit sections are originally coded as parts of strings rather than as variables unto themselves.

Any plans to include a Coup de Grace option in the Special Attacks any time soon?

Shannon
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
- Mahatma Gandhi

"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here."
- Jayne

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Hmm, interesting. I don't think my players have ever used that attack.

Technically it's not a "Special Attack" since it doesn't appear in that section of the rules. Rather it's simply an attack action that requires a full round to execute.

There's not much to it, is there? I mean there's max damage for the weapon and a Fort save and that's it? I that's true then maybe another radio button could be added to the WeaponAttack dialog: Single, Full Round, and Coup de grace?

SDShannonS
Giant

Post by SDShannonS »

Azhrei wrote:There's not much to it, is there?
Yeah, that's what I thought, too. "Hey, this'll be easy..." It sucked. The problem was that the damage wasn't calculated as a discrete integer variable, but rather as an on-the-fly roll integrated into the text string. That made it really hard to reference it not only as damage but also as an addition to the Fort save. So, while it would be easy to figure a Fort save of 10+Damage, it turned out to be non-trivial (for me, anyway) to calculate 10+"Attack: 20 --> CRIT! Damage: <1dWhatever>, etc."

I haven't looked at the new attack macro to see if it's substantially different in the way it generates the damage so maybe it'll be cake now.

Shannon

EDIT: It should be noted that I was using the Attack macro as a base for the coup de grace rather than starting from scratch so as to make use of the already existing code that went through the Crit process (since a coup de grace is an auto-crit). I might have made it harder on myself than necessary by not just starting from scratch completely.
Last edited by SDShannonS on Mon May 17, 2010 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
- Mahatma Gandhi

"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here."
- Jayne

Elorebaen
Dragon

Post by Elorebaen »

I love the handout function.

joshsziegler
Cave Troll

Post by joshsziegler »

Hello, first off thanks for the awesome Framework.

My setup:
MapTool 1.3.b66
MT 1.3.63.r05
Java 1.6 r20
Command on Windows: javaw -Xmx1024M -Xss10M -jar maptool-*.jar run
[Note I also tried it on Xubuntu [Linux 64-bit] and the results were the same]

When I try to import the Macros file I get the following error (right around/after Rest is loaded):

Code: Select all

java.lang.NullPointerException
	at java.util.prefs.AbstractPreferences.put(Unknown Source)
	at net.rptools.maptool.client.ui.macrobuttons.buttons.MacroButtonPrefs.savePreferences(MacroButtonPrefs.java:83)
	at net.rptools.maptool.model.MacroButtonProperties.save(MacroButtonProperties.java:298)
	at net.rptools.maptool.model.MacroButtonProperties.<init>(MacroButtonProperties.java:183)
	at net.rptools.maptool.client.ui.macrobuttons.buttongroups.ButtonGroupPopupMenu$ImportMacroSetAction$1.run(ButtonGroupPopupMenu.java:296)
	at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
	at net.rptools.maptool.client.swing.MapToolEventQueue.dispatchEvent(MapToolEventQueue.java:24)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
When I open up your campaign file though, everything seems to work okay. Though I haven't actually figured out how do use the framework to be honest.

When I do the same thing with MapTool 1.3.b63, They all seem to import but I get this error:

Code: Select all

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Value too long: [H: ids = getSelected()]
[H: abort(if(ids == "", 0, 1))]

[H: libToken = "Lib:libDnD35Pathfinder" ]
[H: system = getLibProperty("System", "Lib:GlobalsSRDPF")]
[H, SWITCH(system), CODE:
  case "Pathfinder": {
   	[H: systext = "Pathfinder"]
	[H: sysFeats = ' AgileManeuvers| 0 |Agile Maneuvers Feat?|CHECK| ## ImprovedChanneling| 0 |Improved Channeling Feat?|CHECK| ']
	};
  case "D&D3.5": {
	[H: systext ="DnD35"]
	[H: sysFeats = '']
	};
  default: {
	[H: systext ="DnD35"]
	[H: sysFeats = '']
	}
]

*snip - left out due to size snip*

<!-- Edit the second weapon. -->

[h: WpnNum = 1]

[MACRO( "editWeapon@"+libToken ): "WpnNum="+WpnNum ]

[R, S: "Core " + system + " Creature Stats Generated." ]
	at java.util.prefs.AbstractPreferences.put(AbstractPreferences.java:245)
	at net.rptools.maptool.client.ui.macrobuttons.buttons.MacroButtonPrefs.savePreferences(MacroButtonPrefs.java:74)
	at net.rptools.maptool.model.MacroButtonProperties.save(MacroButtonProperties.java:295)
	at net.rptools.maptool.model.MacroButtonProperties.<init>(MacroButtonProperties.java:180)
	at net.rptools.maptool.client.ui.macrobuttons.buttongroups.ButtonGroupPopupMenu$ImportMacroSetAction$1.run(ButtonGroupPopupMenu.java:296)
	at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:226)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:602)
	at net.rptools.maptool.client.swing.MapToolEventQueue.dispatchEvent(MapToolEventQueue.java:24)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:275)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:200)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:190)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:185)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:177)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:138)
At this point, it seems that I can't get rid of some of the past install/config files when trying to do a clean wipe. I delete the .maptools directory and the directory with the .jar under Linux (and the equivalent under Windows) but the partially imported Global macros are still present. Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong here?

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

In an older version of MT, exporting a macro set sometimes did not store/retrieve the macro's tooltip text correctly. This seems to be related to the same thing. I thought I'd fixed this bug before, but I hadn't accounted for how the XML data stream is converted back into Java objects when the macros are imported.

This is fixed in the next build.

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

Corea wrote:Thanks, Azhrei. I messed around a bit and figured mostly the PC stuff out.

Questions

1. I've poked, prodded, and molested 9-EBT 4931. I still do not understand its biology. How is it related to a PCs special attack grapple? How do you get it to work?
#2) As others have explained, this is to "clean-up" the board. This allows for a big stack of goblins on the same square and you wont have clicking issues as the dead just keep dropping to the Object layer. You can heal a token on the object layer with the HP Change macro and it will be elevated to the Token layer if its HP become 0 or greater. I have NPCs drop to the Object layer when they drop below 0 (or die) and have PCs drop to the Object layer when they die.

#3) All of the parts of the framework are optional to use. If you don't want to use the handouts then don't. There are 2 different ways to handle handouts in the framework. If you removed the relevant handout macros from the Campaign Macros window then they are effectively removed...

#1) Black Tentacles
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... &start=452
This set of macros is best run only by the GM (mainly because of token visibility issues). They automatically handle attacks, opposed grapple checks, and damage assignment. They can take a while to run (upwards of a minute) but that is still WAY faster than adjudicating EBT (which I have seen take upwards of 30 minutes a round to handle manually).

lmarkus001
Great Wyrm

Post by lmarkus001 »

joshsziegler wrote:Hello, first off thanks for the awesome Framework.

My setup:
MapTool 1.3.b66
MT 1.3.63.r05
Java 1.6 r20
Command on Windows: javaw -Xmx1024M -Xss10M -jar maptool-*.jar run
[Note I also tried it on Xubuntu [Linux 64-bit] and the results were the same]

When I try to import the Macros file I get the following error (right around/after Rest is loaded):
At this point, it seems that I can't get rid of some of the past install/config files when trying to do a clean wipe. I delete the .maptools directory and the directory with the .jar under Linux (and the equivalent under Windows) but the partially imported Global macros are still present. Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong here?
I have not tried bringing in the various individual pieces in b66 (have just migrated an ongoing campaign to b66 without issue) so I will look in to this when I find some time.

I have noticed that b66 is unhappy with "duplicate" token property entries (there are some --- separators in the property list that trigger this issue) and so I need to strip those out for an update.

One observation, you are using a 10MB stack size (-Xss10M) which is friggin MASSIVE. I run with a 2MB stack size. At most a 3MB size should handle any of the other utilities folks are writing. So I recommend dropping your stack to 3MB (or even 2MB).

joshsziegler
Cave Troll

Post by joshsziegler »

One observation, you are using a 10MB stack size (-Xss10M) which is friggin MASSIVE. I run with a 2MB stack size. At most a 3MB size should handle any of the other utilities folks are writing. So I recommend dropping your stack to 3MB (or even 2MB).
1. I made it that big while trying to debug my problem. My box has 8GB of RAM so it wasn't a big deal.

2. I see that the documentation of the framework is lagging behind the production and was wondering if anyone was working on that. I would be more than happy to help build it out using this thread and whatnot. I could even host up a community wiki or something to help track bugs/feature requests along with the documentation. I code by day so that shouldn't take me long to throw up a Django site or something.

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

lmarkus001 wrote: I have noticed that b66 is unhappy with "duplicate" token property entries (there are some --- separators in the property list that trigger this issue) and so I need to strip those out for an update.
I have already fixed this in my version of your campaign. If you want me to send you the Pathfinder bit, I will.

LMarkus, would you be inclined to add a couple items to the Core input() dialog for me and others in your next update? I would like to track XP, GP, PA, Class, Language and Faction for Pathfinder Society Organized Play.

Corea
Kobold

Post by Corea »

I'm trying to get some proper armor equipped but I'm having some trouble.

What is the difference between Armor and ArmorMod? Shield and ShieldMod, etc?

Why the inclusion of ability mods? For armors that give you mod bonuses?

It's strange because if I enter 5 for armor or armor mod my AC increases by 10. (edit: I noticed that even after edits, the properties do not change. Bug? That is why my AC does not change even when I edit a field back to 0 or a different number)

Return to “D&D 3.5/Pathfinder 1e Campaign Macros”