Quick And Simple 4e Framework [b56]

Framework(s) for D&D 4e, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

palmer
Great Wyrm

Quick And Simple 4e Framework [b56]

Post by palmer »

UPDATE 19 AUGUST 2009

Bug Fix: DamageTaken not updating properly

Macro tweak: By request of a few people the damage macro no longer displays the remaining HP of any NPC tokens.
Instead it will display the "total damage taken" instead.

PC tokens will report remaining HP and TempHP as usual.

UPDATE 8 AUGUST 2009

Have added example tokens to the cmpgn, in a "Token Box" map.
Use them, abuse them, or edit them into new monsters. They're good for immediate use AND as a springboard to making new tokens.

IMPORTANT: Because I am dense, I resaved the cmpgn in b56 and overwrote the old one. So now this framework requires b56, not b50.

Enjoy!

==============

This framework was originally made for Blakey, but I am reposting for everyone to play with.

This was made in b56 and thus can't be used in an older version, but works fine in newer ones.

Everything you need to know is actually IN the file.

There's an example token on there, with stats, attack macros and some damage and states, so you can play with the state functions.

Note that the Apply Marks macro also does Curses and Quarries. If you don't like it, you can still manage Marks and the like through Apply State.

The token setup works equally well for players and monsters. Just be sure to set the players to PC and give them vision. Light sources are set up assuming maps are made with "Distance Per Cell" set to 1.

The features of this are minimal - it was designed originally for face-to-face play, but is functional for online play. As a result, it does not include any of the following common features:

Inventory management
Tracking used powers
Power Creator
Any form of target selection
Hit detection
Reference text
Critical hits
Calculating your modifiers for anything
Properties for your ability scores

If you just want to get a quick game going, this works great.
If you want a SIMPLE framework to use as a base while you learn to add your own macros and features, this is also a good start.
Attachments
Basic4e v3.zip
Basic 4e framework - with tokens
VERSION 3
(5.6 MiB) Downloaded 752 times
Last edited by palmer on Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Amberyl
Kobold

Re: Quick And Simple 4e Framework [b50]

Post by Amberyl »

How do I install this framework?

palmer
Great Wyrm

Post by palmer »

Download and unzip the file.

You'll get a .cmpgn file.

In MapTool, you then go File > Open Campaign

Navigate to where you unzipped the file and select it.

This will bring it up, complete with some basic instructions, and example tokens with macros.

Amberyl
Kobold

Post by Amberyl »

Ah ha, I found the problem.

On MacOS X, letting StuffIt unzip the file (the system default) not only unzips the "top level" 4e zip file, but it ALSO then goes on to automatically unzip the cmpgn file, which is itself in zip format. That gets you the XML files, the asset directory, etc. which it appears that MapTool can't handle directly.

Using a terminal window and running "unzip" on the file will produce the cmpgn file, which loads fine into MapTool.

If there's a FAQ somewhere for noob users like myself, this might be a good warning to insert re: downloading frameworks on a Mac.

palmer
Great Wyrm

Post by palmer »

I would call that unexpected and undesired behaviour on the part of StuffIt, myself.
Around here, that qualifies as a bug... perhaps there's a setting in StuffIt to stop it from doing that?

I've never heard anyone else mention that issue before, and we have a number of Mac users on here.

Thanlis
Giant

Post by Thanlis »

palmer wrote:I would call that unexpected and undesired behaviour on the part of StuffIt, myself.
Around here, that qualifies as a bug... perhaps there's a setting in StuffIt to stop it from doing that?

I've never heard anyone else mention that issue before, and we have a number of Mac users on here.
Current OS X releases actually use BOMArchiveHelper/Archive Utility to uncompress .zip files by default.

And... yeah, Stuffit Expander does indeed have that unexpected behavior. You can turn off "continue to expand if possible," which should work fine. It does not list jar files as one of the file types it handles, but it still uncompresses them. I found one Web page which mentions this bug as having been reported in 2002. Nice responsiveness there.
Reed (halfling sorcerer P3) // Collin (human fighter P2) // Cine (eladrin psion H2)
Sirath (deva shaman H1) // Alesk (dragonborn cleric H3) // Kevin (halfling barbarian H1)

Willk
Kobold

Post by Willk »

Have to say Palmer, this is a good Framework. I just used it for a QUES1-1 game and with the exception of my players not being able to use the campaign macros, it worked very well.

If I may ask, is there a way to allow then access to the macros, or is that a GM only functionaility?

palmer
Great Wyrm

Post by palmer »

As I use it, the campaign macros are not for player use. As the DM, I use all those macros exclusively... in part to avoid players goofing around with them.

However, if you want them to have access, you need just 2 things.

A: When starting the server, check the option "Players Receive Campaign Macros"
B: Make sure the players have the Campaign panel open on their end.

Alternately, you can just copy the desired macros to each token.

I'm glad to hear this worked for an LFR game! I just did this up as a simple outline for D&D, by request of someone wanting it for a face to face game

I wasn't expecting much use from it otherwise, especially with all the other super fancy frameworks out there.

Thanks for the feedback!

palmer
Great Wyrm

Re: Quick And Simple 4e Framework [b56]

Post by palmer »

UPDATED FILE

Have added 71 monster tokens to the cmpgn for you all to play with.

Wheeee!

palmer
Great Wyrm

Post by palmer »

Bug fix bump

JamesManhattan
Cave Troll

Post by JamesManhattan »

Dude this is hands down the best macro framework I've seen. It's so simple, just enter all the numbers onto the token, AC, Ref, HP, surges etc (I don't trust those other frameworks to calculate any of that for me!) Use the framework to roll dice!

Thanks so much for making this.

Goonalan
Giant

Post by Goonalan »

Apologies if this makes me sound like I come from the land of stupid but when I'm prompted for 'Value for target' what do I type in the- the name of the creature I'm attacking I guess it's just a text thing?

As I say apologies for the foolishness.

I wasn't sure if it did some amazing maths thing and automatically did damage to the 'target' token.

Cheers Paul

Awesome by the way.
Read the Friday Knights Storyhour at http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... 38&start=0 now with added pictures, the 4e related adventures and shenanigans of a bunch of ne'erdowells playing via Maptools.

Return to “D&D 4e Frameworks”