Rumble's 4th Edition D&D Framework, Version 5.0

Framework(s) for D&D 4e, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Rumble
Deity

Re: Rumble's D&D Framework, Version 5.0

Post by Rumble »

DarkWiz58 wrote:
Oh, I wasn't saying that you couldn't change the token name. You'd just have to double-click on the token and change it's name there, then reopen the editing form.
Hi again,
If you click on the token to get the MT-token panel up, and change the name there, then the Character Editor starts to look correct wrt char name. But if you cycle through the Char Editor panels, then go back to the first one showing the name, the original name of the token has been set back into place. This happens even when the form has been saved. Further, the MT-screen token name will be the new name, not the one the Character Editor knows about.

So, as you said in your last post, since the token name is built into many tables, there still is the problem of the Character Editor name being different than the MT-screen-token name because of DM or User "innocent actions."

In fact that blew out a game I was attending, in which the monsters were copied+pasted to make multiples of the same kind. The targeting got all out of whack-- the CTT code was targeting dead enemies that were not even showing on the screen. It resulted in an error, of course.

Yes, that's the case now, in the build you are using. However, in the release, it will not be the case - the release version will make it impossible to change the token name in the "Character Editor" dialog - instead, you need to change the name in the MT token panel, and then restart the editor, at which point you'll be able to navigate the tabs and such without any reversion to an older name (I did test that - once I removed the code that automatically tried to update the name it seems to be working fine).

It is inconvenient but due to the limitations of the macro code it's really the only 100% method - the changing of the token name has plagued this version for a while now and only now did it occur to me to simply make it impossible to do it in the way that breaks the framework.

And now it's not working. How strange. Ah...okay, it's the powers dialogs that throw the problem. I will have to remove the "quick display" option I put in, and have it rebuild the power list every time.

DarkWiz58
Cave Troll

Post by DarkWiz58 »

Yeah. Sorry. I knew it would be a pain. I almost didn't report this one until I realized how people could get hung out to dry if I didn't.

But a thought: how about internally having a globally unique ID/name thing for each and every token, used within the json, and any other, matrices, and let the user-visible outside name just be the MT name ?

Hmm. Maybe not. The CTT translate from MT-token-name to guid might be a big pain too.

Sigh. Well, I'll say a sincere "sorry" again.
Alex

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

DarkWiz58 wrote:Yeah. Sorry. I knew it would be a pain. I almost didn't report this one until I realized how people could get hung out to dry if I didn't.

But a thought: how about internally having a globally unique ID/name thing for each and every token, used within the json, and any other, matrices, and let the user-visible outside name just be the MT name ?

Hmm. Maybe not. The CTT translate from MT-token-name to guid might be a big pain too.

Sigh. Well, I'll say a sincere "sorry" again.
Alex
Don't apologize, you pointed out a serious bug that I never even knew was happening!

Now, on the internal ID thing, MT makes use of the token name frequently in its internals which might be an issue here and there, but unfortunately it's more a matter of inertia than anything - I've based all of my code on the token name, so although there's a unique Token ID assigned to every token that is not changed regardless of name changes, it would require updates to thousands of lines of macro code to use it (I would have to walk through every macro and find every instance where I use a token name).

Unfortunately, that's too steep a hill to climb. I think I've fixed it adequately (not the most elegant fix, but it prevents hanging people out there).

Deadolus
Giant

Post by Deadolus »

Rumble wrote:And now it's not working. How strange. Ah...okay, it's the powers dialogs that throw the problem. I will have to remove the "quick display" option I put in, and have it rebuild the power list every time.
Hi Rumble, what about a validation in the code that looks to see if the name of the token is the same as the name of the token referenced in the QuickPowers property? If the name is the same, do nothing; if different reload the QuickPowers property from scratch. Not sure if that is more or less work for you.

Just a thought.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Deadolus wrote:
Rumble wrote:And now it's not working. How strange. Ah...okay, it's the powers dialogs that throw the problem. I will have to remove the "quick display" option I put in, and have it rebuild the power list every time.
Hi Rumble, what about a validation in the code that looks to see if the name of the token is the same as the name of the token referenced in the QuickPowers property? If the name is the same, do nothing; if different reload the QuickPowers property from scratch. Not sure if that is more or less work for you.

Just a thought.
It does have that, but the caching and checking has been causing no end of trouble. Might be able to fix it with a "current token name" thing, but it's still iffy. The only solid solution is:

1) Write a "copy token" macro that duplicates and forces a name change, and
2) Use the existing quick powers option, and
3) Prevent name changes in the editor screen anyway, and
3) Tell the users that if they Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V a token, it's their problem.

Alternatively (what I opted for) was

1) Prevent name changes via the Editor screen, and
2) Remove the QuickPowers caching setup

Deadolus
Giant

Post by Deadolus »

Well, (IMO) lets go with the Alternative option for a while, pending issues with that, the Solid option is likely the next step and best end of job option.

DarkWiz58
Cave Troll

Post by DarkWiz58 »

Rumble,
The 2 step way is perfectly acceptable -- even more, desirable!-- wrt the things you and I have been emailing back and forth.

Still cannot recreate the CTT bug even though I invoked it yesterday, but I'll keep fiddling.

Alex

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

The problem I've noticed with the 2-step process is that in my campaign, every so often clicking on the Powers tab in the editor hangs MapTool (requiring a process kill to recover). That's the reason I sought to use a caching setup, but apparently I didn't figure it out quite right.

Guy Dude
Giant

Post by Guy Dude »

Hello, this is my first time using this! For some reason none of the numbers for dicerolls are showing up in chat for me, even for the example tokens. They only show in the tooltip. Am I doing something wrong?

kazinsky
Giant

Post by kazinsky »

Guy Dude wrote:Hello, this is my first time using this! For some reason none of the numbers for dicerolls are showing up in chat for me, even for the example tokens. They only show in the tooltip. Am I doing something wrong?
Edit -> Preferences -> check the "Use ToolTips for Inline Rolls"

Guy Dude
Giant

Post by Guy Dude »

Thanks, that seems to have fixed things!

seanrpg
Kobold

Post by seanrpg »

Just a suggestion...

Post what version of D&D this is for.

I read through several pages but don't see where it mentions what rule set is being used. Hope I'm not missing something obvious.

I'm trying to find a D&D 3.5 system. Don't want 4th anything, and rather avoid Pathfinder at least for now (all my friends have 3.5, not PFS).

kazinsky
Giant

Post by kazinsky »

seanrpg wrote:Just a suggestion...

Post what version of D&D this is for.

I read through several pages but don't see where it mentions what rule set is being used. Hope I'm not missing something obvious.

I'm trying to find a D&D 3.5 system. Don't want 4th anything, and rather avoid Pathfinder at least for now (all my friends have 3.5, not PFS).
While perhaps it's not mentioned explicitly in the opening post, the 2nd post has screen shots of several windows showing, quite obvious, 4e material. This framework is most definitely 4e-only.

Guy Dude
Giant

Post by Guy Dude »

Does changing the light settings harm anything in the framework?

kazinsky
Giant

Re: Rumble's 4th Edition D&D Framework, Version 5.0

Post by kazinsky »

I don't believe so, not unless you adjust it so that a token cannot see another, then some of the area/burst type effects may not work.

Return to “D&D 4e Frameworks”