[4E] Rumble's "Slim" Framework

Framework(s) for D&D 4e, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

danielcollins
Cave Troll

Re: An Attempt to Return the Framework to its Classic Form

Post by danielcollins »

ok...my next question....

i'm having trouble getting attacks to work properly. The attack window comes up, but i can't designate a target at all.

The power is still showing up in the chat window but no roll to hit or anything. eg:
Kobold Slinger 67:
  Dagger (standard)

Any ideas?

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Are you selecting the target you want to hit once the window comes up? The order of operations is click the power button, select target (or targets, if you drag-select or hold down the shift button), then hit the "Attack" button.

danielcollins
Cave Troll

Post by danielcollins »

AHHH! thanks. That works perfectly.

I was assuming the targets would appear in the attack window....

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

danielcollins wrote:AHHH! thanks. That works perfectly.

I was assuming the targets would appear in the attack window....
Yeah, it's a bit other-way-round from some other selection-based targeting approaches. I prefer "choose power, choose targets, execute," since it means (as a GM, especially) I don't have to mess with impersonating tokens before I launch attacks. I think what I'll do is put a campaign macro called "Instructions" so there's some documentation in there on how exactly stuff is to work.

danielcollins
Cave Troll

Post by danielcollins »

There doesn't seem to be a spot to add in fluff text about powers? I really like it coming up when the power is used.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

No, there's no place for fluff text. I can add one, no problem. I was about to put out another version, this one doing some autocalculations on skills (actually, it figures out the base skill, and asks you to only enter additional bonuses beyond that. It is not compatible with importing, yet). I'll add the flufftext part, too.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Okay, new version up. Added:

1. Skill calculation: the framework will automatically determine the base skill bonus - that is, the sum of the relevant Ability modifier plus 1/2 the character's level. When you edit the character, you need only enter the sum of the other bonuses, such as training. So, for instance, if you have Dex 18, and are Level 2, your base bonus for Acrobatics is +5. If you then train in Acrobatics, your total check bonus would be +10.

In the character editing screen, you only enter 5, for training - the rest is calculated automatically (this also means that the check values scale as you level without having to recalculate them). When importing characters and monsters, it should figure out the right values. However, for existing characters, you'll have to go through and update the skills so that only the extra bonuses are added.

2. Flavor text: you can add flavor text to a power. For existing tokens, you will have to switch to edit mode and edit every power (even if you're not entering flavor text) so they work right - otherwise you'll get prompts to enter a value for "pflavor".

If flavor text is added, it will appear in the chat output. If it is set as "--none--", nothing will appear.

danielcollins
Cave Troll

Post by danielcollins »

Ok thanks Rumble. I'll try out the new additions now. I'm actually finding this framework much easier to use than the full one. It seems to be a bit more intuitive.

danielcollins
Cave Troll

Post by danielcollins »

After I edit a power and put the mouse over the macro button, the tooltip text has not been updated. How do i fix that?

EDIT: Doesn't change the usage colour after editing either...
Last edited by danielcollins on Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

danielcollins
Cave Troll

Post by danielcollins »

Also how do i get the Traits/Feats button to show up miscellaneous notes? I edit it and I had a go at putting text in there based on the format of other code but it didn't work and I really have no idea how the code works.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Okay, two questions there:

1. I can't reproduce the issue you saw - when I edited an encounter power to be at-will, it changed the color of the button and altered the tooltip as expected. Note, if you were expecting to see flavor text, it will only show up in chat output; I don't put it in the tooltip or anywhere else because it takes up space.

2. Traits / Feats don't show up in miscellaneous notes - misc notes is for genuinely miscellaneous stuff, like, "Speaks Southern dialect of the Desert Gnolls." Traits and feats become buttons so your feats/traits/etc. are visible to you.

I'm posting V8 here in just a second, but I don't believe I changed anything between 7 and 8 that would have affected what you reported problems with.

crestedpenguin
Kobold

Post by crestedpenguin »

Hi Rumble,

I really like the idea of this framework, but I keep hitting a nasty error in v8. Every attack macro keeps spitting out this:

Invalid number of parameters 1, expected exactly 2 parameter(s)

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

crestedpenguin wrote:Hi Rumble,

I really like the idea of this framework, but I keep hitting a nasty error in v8. Every attack macro keeps spitting out this:

Invalid number of parameters 1, expected exactly 2 parameter(s)
Huh. Apparently, this thing it is broken. I don't know where that's coming from but I guess I typo'd something in the last rev. It's unusual - could have sworn I actually ran powers to test things out but maybe I just tested editing, thinking I could do no wrong.

Unfortunately, I am unable to address this until later tonight, so...maybe roll to a previous version if you have one? Or ask someone to PM you one?

crestedpenguin
Kobold

Post by crestedpenguin »

I don't have one to roll back to at the moment, but the rest of it seems to be working, and I think that's enough for today's game. I'll just look forward to having the cool stuff next time :)

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

crestedpenguin wrote:I don't have one to roll back to at the moment, but the rest of it seems to be working, and I think that's enough for today's game. I'll just look forward to having the cool stuff next time :)
Sorry 'bout that - I'm at work, and don't have access. I coulda fixed it in a couple minutes otherwise. :oops:

Return to “D&D 4e Frameworks”