[4E] Rumble's "Slim" Framework

Framework(s) for D&D 4e, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Vhex
Giant

Re: [4E] Rumble's "Slim" Framework

Post by Vhex »

I've never used this framework, but when you're changing ownership are you removing the DM from the owner?

StarMan
Dragon

Post by StarMan »

When making posts like this make sure you say what your macro you are running so potential fixers (not me, BTW!) can modify the code to account for varying changes in ownership. Based on the code you have posted, I don't think it's an ownership problem. My guess is the variable passed to the SWITCH statement in question has not been checked for a "not NULL" condition.

My 4e framework (link below) handles this by notifying the user from the get-go before combat starts. In my case, it won't deal with your token unless it is set to one owner only. That might be the case here so it's something to try.
StarMan - The MacroPolicebox D&D 4E Framework: Import ANYTHING!

Cherno
Giant

Post by Cherno »

Hello,

I just tested this framwork and would like to say thank you for writing it, impressive work!

I tinkered around a bit and noticed some minor issues when I tried fill in the character sheet of a monster token.

It is a level 1 brute, and since I don't want to put it's race on the stat sheet (it's already part of it's name), I just left the race name field empty, but it alway resets to 0 anyway.

It is not possible to have no icon as a power icon, selecting "no icon" from the drop-down list shows a sword icon anyway.

The power recharge values don't work, and I can't add text like "when first bloodied" which would be nice :)

When I added a trait, I can't get the flavour text to show up, and there is no way to just have no "usage", "taget" or "range" to show.

I was wondering if this has been noted before or if it's just my machine making trouble? :)

Cherno
Giant

Post by Cherno »

After taking another look I'd like to state that most of the above issues are purely cosmetic and workarounds exist (Fluff or recharge text can just be added in trigger or other boxes that normally are not used).

One other thing I'd like to know though:

How exactly is initiative handled?

The way I see it is that you select a token, open it's character sheet, then click on the initiative score link and it opens a window where you can add any bonus modifiers. Upon clicking ok it then rolls for initiative and adds it to the initiative window along with sorting the token there.
I assume this is basically it, but I've seen that the "fat" FW has a dedicated initiative and end turn button. Also, the Slim FW includes a inititive condition in the "system" folder (four green arrows pointing inwards). I wonder if this condition can somehow be invoked automatically or if it is just for manual operation?

Cherno
Giant

Post by Cherno »

Sorry for the triple-post, but I figured out how to use the initiative system in this Framework. In case anyone else is wondering, after adding the tokens to initiative and rolling for each score via the character sheet (typing initiative score directly sadly doesn't sort the token), just click on the "advacne initiative" makro button and it will jump to the next in line and add the nice green arrow thingies. Be aware that the condition monitor and condition select windows will pop up everytime you do so if they aren't open anyway.

New issue:

Editing the charsheet can become wonky if the token name is changed at any point. Sometime the makros don't work at all, sometimes only powers can't be edited, sometimes clicking on a power in edit mode just activates the power normally, and sometimes nothing works at all and it gives an error message about not being able to find the token.

Also, the "Update Token" campaign makro worked only once for me, after that it just gave the error message "getMacroProps(): first argument must be a number.", even after restarting.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Cherno wrote: Editing the charsheet can become wonky if the token name is changed at any point. Sometime the makros don't work at all, sometimes only powers can't be edited, sometimes clicking on a power in edit mode just activates the power normally, and sometimes nothing works at all and it gives an error message about not being able to find the token.
The Character sheet caches a lot of information when it is created and when you activate a power via the character sheet you are essentially clicking a URL made up of Token Name + Macro Name. Therefore if you change the token's name without updating the character sheet, none of those URLs will work.

The solution to this "issue" can be found in the campaign macros. There is a button in the Campaign Window that clears the cached information (can't remember what its called). If you select the token, press that button and then press F2, then the character sheet should work. In my campaign files I changed the F8 shortcut to refer to this cache clearing button.

If you change the name of a Token, do it via the F11 function, not by editing the token directly.

Cherno
Giant

Post by Cherno »

Thanks for the info. Currently, I have 2 NPC and 1 PC token for testing purposes, and editing character info via F11 (or via edit mode) works flawlessly. However, I can't edit powers; If I click on one outside edit mode, it uses the power (as it should), but when I enter edit mode and click on it, it apparently tries to activate the power without actually doing anything; the token shows up in chat along with it's name, but nothing else happens.

I guess it's important that a token name only gets changed via Editing the character and not via the normal token properties.

Edit: Played around a bit more and it'S really a matter ofcarefully renaming a token via edit mode/F11 and regularly updating it, then everything should work as intended.

Maybe I will be able to learn enough coding that I can correct the other cosmetic issues brought up above, such as the no icon option for traits etc.

Cherno
Giant

Post by Cherno »

Some more info.

1. Recharge values are displayed, but only in the selected window behind the power macro button.

2. Another note on initiative: The way I think it works is as follows:

a. Select tokens
b. Hit "add all to initiative" from the campaign window
All tokens get an initiative value, and are included and sorted in the initative window.
c. Select first token in line
d. Hit "Advance turn" in the campaign window
The first token now gets the green arrow thingy.
e. Resolve the token's actions
f. Hit "Advance turn" in the campaign window
etc.

Problems:

I. Typing in initiative directly does not sort the token, this has to be done manually.
II. Advancing turns does in fact go from token to token and even starts a new turn once the last token has resolved his actions, but for the new turn, no new initiative values are created! So as of now I think you are actually supposed to remove all tokens from the initiative order, then re-select them and add them again as described above. I am not sure how ongoing effects are computed in this system, but since I don't intend to use this feature I don't really care.. It'd still be nice to know if this is really the way it's supposed to know =)

Cherno
Giant

Post by Cherno »

Derp... I screwed up on the last post! Initiative is only rolled once at the start of an encounter so there initiative system works 100% right 8)

Edit: On the other hand, the edit function seems to have some serious problems :(

Some days it all works like a charm, and then (like today) I can't edit any powers; clicking on them in edit mode just gives an empty chat action of the token. This has actually been reported on page 2 of this thread, but for some reason it's still possible to somehow have this problem appear, and I have no idea how :x

Edit2: And believe it or not and 1 minute later I find the solution (I hope!)

There's a campaign makro "Reset Editors" that resets the power editors (?), I have no idea what it really does but it somehow makes it work again :D

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Cherno wrote: Problems:

I. Typing in initiative directly does not sort the token, this has to be done manually.
Pardon me if I am telling you something you already know or am misunderstanding you, but Maptool has a function for this.

If the characters in the initiative window are not in the correct numerical order, click the drop down arrow and then click the "Sort" option.

There are reasons why you might want to position characters temporarily out of numerical order. so not forcing the sort order is a useful feature.

Cherno
Giant

Post by Cherno »

Yes, the seperate sort funtion is known to me, but I would like it better if it would go automatically :)

Thanks anyway :)

I'd like to stress that this particular issue (which indeed might just be one to me!) is not connected to the Slim framework but rather the normal Maptools functionality.

Ferghis
Kobold

Post by Ferghis »

Thanks for the hard work you do, both for these frameworks and on the forums in general. I have two points. I use Maptools 1.3.b87 on Windows 7.

Is there a way to implement a condition on a crit? I know you have an if(powerHit) script. Would it be possible for me to add an if(powerCrit) script, somehow?

When I just downloaded your campaign file, and followed the instructions to create a new token from your original post, I somehow ended up with two "Edit Mode" buttons. The first one would create an additional "Edit Character" button when edit mode was turned on. I deleted the extra "Edit Character" buttons and the malfunctioning "Edit Mode" button. I wish I'd saved the script it triggered so I could share it here, but I forgot to. It was considerably longer than the one on the remaining "Edit Mode" button, though.

StarMan
Dragon

Post by StarMan »

Ferghis wrote:Is there a way to implement a condition on a crit? I know you have an if(powerHit) script. Would it be possible for me to add an if(powerCrit) script, somehow?
I haven't looked at the code for his Slim version but I imagine you could just duplicate the "if(powerHit)" statement and code the "powerCrit" statement you describe to incorporate checking of the variable(s) that indicate a critical has been scored. I suggest working with others on these forums keen on modding Rumble's frameworks.

That's the hard way. Now for the easy way! :wink:

I noticed that you are one of my new users. To accomplish what you describe, follow these steps. You will notice you can do about a dozen things each for events and reactions. These include spending an action point, becoming bloodied (or bloodying an enemy), etc.
StarMan - The MacroPolicebox D&D 4E Framework: Import ANYTHING!

Cherno
Giant

Post by Cherno »

I just tested some more stuff with the Slim framework, namely condition tracking automation, and I can't seem to get the automation to work at all. The instructions say that a window open that lets me switch to full automation if I click on the Conditions macro button, but what happens instead is a window explaining that the Condition Tracking Frame and condition Selection Frame will now pop up.

Also, a related question for D&D 4E people: I know that a creature can also have one Mark at one time, but I don't know if a Hunter's Quarry counts as a Mark like, say, the Fighter's Combat Challenge?

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Cherno wrote:I just tested some more stuff with the Slim framework, namely condition tracking automation, and I can't seem to get the automation to work at all. The instructions say that a window open that lets me switch to full automation if I click on the Conditions macro button, but what happens instead is a window explaining that the Condition Tracking Frame and condition Selection Frame will now pop up.
Are you running it with the Initiative Window running? I know I have had errors when I put certain conditions on tokens that are not in the Initiative Window (due to end conditions). Apart from that, its has worked fine for me.

Return to “D&D 4e Frameworks”