[4E] Rumble's "Slim" Framework

Framework(s) for D&D 4e, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Rumble
Deity

Re: An Attempt to Return the Framework to its Classic Form

Post by Rumble »

Heh. I've been thinking about the power editing part, and I...dunno. I go back and forth on it; I don't want to load down tokens with big JSON objects but then I think "You know, it would make life a LOT easier if I did."

I may go there - the basis of some of this design was, in fact, just seeing if I could pull it off.

As for the effect stuff in the output...yeah, I know. I think I fixed it in the other framework; generally the fix is "only show that info to the GM if it's an NPC," rather than trying to get it to do anything more elegant.

So I'm still hemming and hawing about the power editing element; it is a bit of a pain when you get something wrong.

AidyBaby
Dragon

Post by AidyBaby »

I can see the attraction of leaving it as it is. It's not a killer checking the macro code and it does keep the framework lite.
D&D qualities are related inversely to those of Poker... and I love both.
http://www.yorkpoker.co.uk

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

One thing that just occurred to me - suppose there was an "edit mode" switch, and if that switch was activated, instead of launching the power, you got to edit it? so you'd flip into Edit Mode, click the power button, and you'd get the power editor dialog. Save it, and it rewrites the power macro with the changes. Flip out of Edit Mode, and you're back in battle!

Edit: also, I realized just now that the Equip gear and Edit gear macros are flip-flopped. Whoops!

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

All right! That "edit mode" thing worked like a charm. So, now - you create your macros as normal.

If you need to edit one, click the "Edit Mode" macro on the token. A state image will appear showing you that you're in Edit Mode (it's a black icon with a pencil on it). Then, when you click a macro button, instead of the normal targeting window, you get the power editing window. Make changes as necessary, and then hit OK. The old macro will be removed, and the new one put in its place.

Seems to work solidly.

Am I good? I'm good. ;) Check out the first post of this thread for the latest version.

AidyBaby
Dragon

Post by AidyBaby »

I've had a play and it seems to work a treat! This is much better than editing the macro directly.

Oh, and yes, you are good. :D

-- AidyBaby --

EDIT - Can't get edit mode to work on 'Villain'. Pressing the power invokes the attack frame rather than the editing input. Something to do with NPC vs PC?

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

AidyBaby wrote:I've had a play and it seems to work a treat! This is much better than editing the macro directly.

Oh, and yes, you are good. :D

-- AidyBaby --

EDIT - Can't get edit mode to work on 'Villain'. Pressing the power invokes the attack frame rather than the editing input. Something to do with NPC vs PC?
Hm. Might have forgotten some code in there (I had to manually update the sample tokens - I did that rather than recreating them).

Edit: yeah, that was it - I left out the "check for edit mode" code on the villain token. I uploaded a quick fix; check the first post.

AidyBaby
Dragon

Post by AidyBaby »

No worries. Looking forward to giving this version a go.

-- AidyBaby --

danielcollins
Cave Troll

Post by danielcollins »

The current version of the framework is not working for me. I have attempted to run it on 2 different computers using build 70 and it comes up with errors then says the campaign file is not recognisable.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

danielcollins wrote:The current version of the framework is not working for me. I have attempted to run it on 2 different computers using build 70 and it comes up with errors then says the campaign file is not recognisable.

I apologize; you'll need to use build 73 for this to work (it got updated to compatibility with b73 - and the builds are unfortunately never backwards-compatible; I must have forgotten to make a note of the change).

danielcollins
Cave Troll

Post by danielcollins »

No worries Rumble. Thanks for the speedy response.

Hoping this solves my groups lag problems which were occuring with the full framework over the net.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

danielcollins wrote:No worries Rumble. Thanks for the speedy response.

Hoping this solves my groups lag problems which were occuring with the full framework over the net.
We shall see - it helped me out (just remember, some stuff will require more hands-on effort on the DM's part, but it still goes pretty quick). I really should write down some instructions for it to explain exactly what is and isn't automated. :)

danielcollins
Cave Troll

Post by danielcollins »

One thing i noticed is that the skills are all set at 0. What about ability modifiers? are they included or do I need to enter them manually? It would be much quicker if they were entered automatically when you went to edit the token (as i think they are in the full framework). Unless that would slow things down?

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

danielcollins wrote:One thing i noticed is that the skills are all set at 0. What about ability modifiers? are they included or do I need to enter them manually? It would be much quicker if they were entered automatically when you went to edit the token (as i think they are in the full framework). Unless that would slow things down?
Nothing is autocalculated in character editing except, IIRC, surge value. I never did have skills automatically calculated (neither here nor in my "full-blown" framework) - I just enter the total skill bonus (see, generally I would either be reading from the character sheet I created elsewhere, or importing it, and in either case, the number that matters for skills is the total bonus value). So those you would need to enter.

It doesn't slow things down to autocalculate it, but I don't have any means to indicate what's trained, etc, so it would require adding additional code to do so.

However, I'm not saying it's impossible - it's just something I never messed with because those stats are affected by a lot of elements and the Input() function has its limits in terms of convenient layout.

danielcollins
Cave Troll

Post by danielcollins »

Cool. I wasn't talking about auto-calculating the whole skill though. Just adding in the ability modifier so that untrained or unmodified skills would not need editing. eg untrained athletics would show up as the Strength modifier.

EDIT: It wouldn't make much difference for characters, but would make monsters much quicker to code

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

danielcollins wrote:Cool. I wasn't talking about auto-calculating the whole skill though. Just adding in the ability modifier so that untrained or unmodified skills would not need editing. eg untrained athletics would show up as the Strength modifier.

EDIT: It wouldn't make much difference for characters, but would make monsters much quicker to code

Ohhhh! Hey, yeah, that would be pretty good. Do monsters get half-level, or full level to skills? Might be able to do "mod+(appropriate level scaling)" and that way you can just bump the ones what need bumpin'.

Edit: scratch that - you want the amount to scale automatically if you have to level something up, so just the modifier is probably best. Might be a couple other ways to look at it too (like a checkbox for "trained", an option for misc bonuses, and then calculate the rest...I'll consider my options).

Return to “D&D 4e Frameworks”