[4E] Rumble's "Slim" Framework

Framework(s) for D&D 4e, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Rumble
Deity

Re: An Attempt to Return the Framework to its Classic Form

Post by Rumble »

Okay, I believe I have found and corrected the error; a stupid missing ")" was to blame.

crestedpenguin
Kobold

Post by crestedpenguin »

The fix was just in time for my game, thanks Rumble. Everything was very quick, I really like this framework. :mrgreen:

Doc_Waldo
Giant

Post by Doc_Waldo »

This is exactly the FW I have been looking for. I very much enjoy being able from a DM's point of view to control a little more of the game. Thank you.
--DOC

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

CrestedPenguin, was performance acceptable (that is, the speed of, say, clicking attack to the point where you see the results in chat? I hope so!)

Doc_Waldo, I'm glad you like it! I haven't had a chance to work with its latest incarnation - last time I used it was in a significantly less sophisticated form, but I'm glad to hear that folks are enjoying it.

crestedpenguin
Kobold

Post by crestedpenguin »

I actually didn't use the attack macros myself (I'm using monsters out of the Dark Sun book that's aren't in the compendium yet, and I can't be arsed to write them in). My players did though, and they were commenting on how quick and lag-free the whole affair was.

One incidental benefit for me was I didn't have to have the tokens all done up like I would in the more automated framework, which is good for things like wilderness encounters that may or may not happen.

danielcollins
Cave Troll

Post by danielcollins »

My group ran it's first session last night using the framework. We all live on the eastern side of Australia and are playing over a direct connection with Skype for chat. There was very little lag at all. Maybe a second or two everynow and then as a power macro was used, but it was certainly very acceptable. My players were amazed at how quickly I could edit powers that had bugs in them and everyone agreed it worked fantastically. Thanks again Rumble.

I'm still having a few issues, but can generally sort them out myself eg my tooltips are still not changing when powers are edited, but they were changing on my player's screens....maybe i need to resave the tokens and drag them in, instead of just copy and pasting them...

crestedpenguin
Kobold

Post by crestedpenguin »

Oh while I'm mentioning player feedback, folks seemed to really like edit mode. I think they were as excited for that as click targeting, which surprised me.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Is there a specific thing you're editing (e.g., changing power from at-will to encounter, or changing the attack type) when you notice the tooltip didn't change or is it no matter what you edit? I will say, as a personal note, that macro button tooltips have always been trouble for me, no matter where or what framework I've used them in, so I have to say I'm frankly not surprised they're still being recalcitrant.

danielcollins
Cave Troll

Post by danielcollins »

It's to hit text not changing and ability mod used to hit plus other things. The power works fine just the tooltip text doesn't change after editing.

Lots of the problems were caused by - symbols not copying and pasting properly from pdf files...or from ' symbols which i just delete all of now.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

danielcollins wrote:It's to hit text not changing and ability mod used to hit plus other things. The power works fine just the tooltip text doesn't change after editing.

Lots of the problems were caused by - symbols not copying and pasting properly from pdf files...or from ' symbols which i just delete all of now.
Hm. That's very interesting - I wonder if that only manifests when a server is running? When I test power changes, the tooltip is updated as well (like if I change a Cha vs. Will power to Str vs. Reflex, the tooltip on the button and the attack dialog updates as expected). Can you upload your tokens and/or campaign file?

What version of MapTool are you using, too?

crestedpenguin
Kobold

Post by crestedpenguin »

Hey Rumble, I just ran a test of the Add All to Initiative macro and it looks like it's not actually factoring in the token's initiative modifier, so everyone ends up with initiative that is just the d20 roll.

danielcollins
Cave Troll

Post by danielcollins »

wasn't only when the server was running. it happened on my laptop (which i was designing it on) and then my box (which i ran it off). i'm using build 73.

here is the campaign file http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11178616/Kobold ... Slim.cmpgn

The problem is most notable on Hazkal Token on Grasslands map. Steel Serpent Strike power originally had flavor in the Hit category. There was an apostrophe which gave a long string of symbols. I have since removed the flavor text including the apostrophe, but the tooltip hasn't updated.

Some of the tooltips have actually updated since i used it the other night...weird...

fuleng6021
Cave Troll

Post by fuleng6021 »

First things first. This is a great framework Rumble. :D I wished I had scanned the forum better when I started using Maptools 2 years ago. Would have save me a lot of time and sweat.
At them moment I try to setup a tutorial campagne to learn some friends how to play with MapTool.
They want to play D&D 4E which I unfortunately have no idea of, but there is your great framework.
Withe the help of the DDI compendium and your input it is quite easy to setup tokens.
Unfortunately I running in some problems. The token look ok as do the imported powers if i check them via edit macro.
Some of them run without problem, but others give different errors:
some of the errors are:
- unknown JSON Typ "NULL" in function "json.fields".

-illegal condition in IF(d20roll != 1 && attRoll >= targetsDefense) listoption
statement optionen (Statement options) (if so): h,if(d20roll != 1 && attRoll >= targetsDefense)
statement body (Statement Body) : hit = 1; hit = 0

- java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "Dagger" error in expression label = json.get(AtWillPowers, pname).

- java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "Splash of Ankheg Oil" error in expression label = json.get(RechargePowers, pname).

as i sayed i imported them all from the ddi compendium using the MM3 template. It works for some, but got errors for others.
Hope you have a idea what I am doing wrong

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

@danielcollins: Okay, that helps - it's possible that something sort of "permanently" broke the tooltip due to an apostrophe; I should redesign this to be a bit more robust about them, I think.

@fuleng: it's probably not anything you did - parsing is an inexact science, so it's possible that I just didn't set something up right. As I asked danielcollins, can you attach a campaign file for me to look at later and tell me what tokens are throwing the errors? That's very helpful in diagnosing these kind of problems.

Thanks!

fuleng6021
Cave Troll

Post by fuleng6021 »

Great Rumble :D
Here is the file. The token i spoke of are at the map called "Token"
I separated them in working ones and not working ones.
Thanks

btw: i forgot to mention.
while setup a token (via F4) the managment macro will not be added to the token.
this error is displayed. maybe this helps:
- java.lang.NullPointerException eror in createMacro("Edit Mode", '[h:EditMode = 1-EditMode][h:setState("EditMode", EditMode)][h,if(EditMode == 0): setMacroProps("Edit Mode", "color=gray;"); setMacroProps("Edit Mode", "color=yellow;")]', json.set("{}", "color", "gray", "minWidth", 150, "group", "******** Management ********", "sortBy", 9).
Attachments
Error-search-DD4E_Slim_V9.cmpgn
(3.6 MiB) Downloaded 79 times

Return to “D&D 4e Frameworks”