Veggiesama's Framework (D&D 4e) -- Discussion

Framework(s) for D&D 4e, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Veggiesama
Dragon

Veggiesama's Framework (D&D 4e) -- Discussion

Post by Veggiesama »

You can talk about my framework here. Post questions, short suggestions, tips/tricks, sample campaigns, sample tokens, and sample powers here.

If you want to post a bug report, request a new feature, or start a longer conversation about some aspect of the framework, post it to the D&D 4e Frameworks forum. Use the following format for the thread title:

[VEG v###] BUG/REQ: Topic

Example:
[VEG v2.34] REQ: Automatic beverage vending on hits

moselekm
Kobold

[VEG v2.34] BUG: Illegal argument type java.lang.String, exp

Post by moselekm »

[VEG v2.34] BUG: Illegal argument type java.lang.String, expecting java.math.BigDecimal

--Happens when clicking: 'Ready' under Combat Sequence.

This could just be user-error when 'installing' your Framework. I did everything I was supposed to do, although I am lost since I JUST started using this today, but I am playing around with everything to get a feel for it and understand things better. But that is the error I get.

Otherwise I love the framework, I just gotta get to known MapTool a little better. [And yes, I watched all of the video tuts on the tutorial website].

Veggiesama
Dragon

Re: Veggiesama's Framework (D&D 4e) -- Discussion

Post by Veggiesama »

Can't seem to duplicate it, moselekm. What version of MapTool are you using? Does this happen just to your token or to all the sample tokens too? What do you type into "MyReadiedAction"?
My D&D 4e Campaign FrameworkMy Shadowrun 4e Campaign Framework
RPGA#: 5223846427 — Skype: Veggiesama — Fear the ferret.

moselekm
Kobold

Post by moselekm »

Veggiesama wrote:Can't seem to duplicate it, moselekm. What version of MapTool are you using? Does this happen just to your token or to all the sample tokens too? What do you type into "MyReadiedAction"?
Sorry for the delay, I almost forgot about this bug when I got back home from work the day after and everything was rockin' and rollin' perfectly. Not sure what the problem was, but I guess it was temporary and on my side.

But for notes, I am using the: Version: 1.3.b75

Otherwise, everything is working very well. Great stuff, thank you, Veggie!

Kerrus
Kobold

Post by Kerrus »

I dunno if it's a bug or a missing feature, but I can't get my macros to display the 'requirement' line in the chat.

Also, on a similar note, dice rolls for things like the effect line don't operate. If I stick [1d10] on the effect line (such as for a racial power that rolls dice as part of an effect) it comes out the other end as [1d10], not as actually rolling anything. I'm unfamiliar with how to get it to actually roll dice, although I'm sure it's something simple.

This is in version 2.34 on b75

Veggiesama
Dragon

Post by Veggiesama »

Kerrus wrote:I dunno if it's a bug or a missing feature, but I can't get my macros to display the 'requirement' line in the chat.
I left that out, because it didn't seem like something you'd want to remind your GM every time you use a power. If you want to keep it, copy the text to a Custom Row and check to show custom rows in chat.
Kerrus wrote:Also, on a similar note, dice rolls for things like the effect line don't operate. If I stick [1d10] on the effect line (such as for a racial power that rolls dice as part of an effect) it comes out the other end as [1d10], not as actually rolling anything. I'm unfamiliar with how to get it to actually roll dice, although I'm sure it's something simple.
Stick the [1d10] in Custom Code. Custom Code is evaluated just like you typed it into chat. Effect, requirement, hit text, etc. aren't evaluated.
My D&D 4e Campaign FrameworkMy Shadowrun 4e Campaign Framework
RPGA#: 5223846427 — Skype: Veggiesama — Fear the ferret.

hortator37
Kobold

[VEG v2.34] BUG: tempBonus for rollSkillCheck & rollAbilityC

Post by hortator37 »

Hey Veggiesama!

I'm doing a little customization using the framework macros to create buttons for rolling specific skills that automatically apply a temporary bonus for situational modifiers. This is what I've got so far:

Code: Select all

<!-- Insight check to detect illusion, with a situational modifier from the Rakshasa Claw familiar -->

<!-- Set LastSkill to Insight -->
[H: Private = setStrProp(Private, "LastSkill", 9)]
[H: Private = setStrProp(Private, "tempBonus", 5)]

<!-- Roll the skill check as normal-->
[MACRO("rollSkillCheck@Lib:Veg"):""]
The only problem is that when rollSkillCheck (or rollAbilityCheck) sets up the dialog box, it resets tempBonus to zero instead of using the stored value. I made a few tweaks so that now rollSkillCheck pulls the last value of tempBonus and overwrites it for later, instead of reverting to zero every time.

<!-- Display the dialog box, selecting the skill that was chosen last time -->
[H: success = input(
	"skillNum | " + json.toList(stringArray) + " | Select a skill | LIST | SELECT=" + getStrProp(Private, "LastSkill", 0),
	"tempBonus | " +getStrProp(Private, "tempBonus", 0) + " | Temp. bonus | TEXT | WIDTH=4",
	"privateChk| " + getStrProp(Private, "LastPrivateChk", if(isNPC(), 1, 0)) + " | Private? | CHECK"
)]
[H: abort(success)]

<!-- Save the selected skill for next time -->
[H: Private = setStrProp(Private, "LastSkill", skillNum)]
[H: Private = setStrProp(Private, "tempBonus", tempBonus)]
[H: Private = setStrProp(Private, "LastPrivateChk", privateChk)]
With this tweak, my code at the top will let you set tempBonus before the call to the Lib:Veg macro is made. Before I started using this in game, however, I thought I would share my idea and ask you if tempBonus is used by anything else. Don't want to start breaking things that I'm not totally familiar with.

Thanks!

silversonic
Cave Troll

Post by silversonic »

Hey Veggie, love your framework, especially the new versions. I was wondering if anyone knows a way or had found a workaround to easily level monsters so that all they have to do is put in the level and then the numbers: HP, defenses, damage, and attacks, take care of themselves. As it stands right now I need to manually change the values in the character sheet macro, which is fine, but I'm always on the lookout to be lazier. Many thanks again for your hard work.

Saman
Kobold

Post by Saman »

Been getting some great use out of the framework for my new 4e campaign so thanks for updating it, but i've also had some trouble with the light sources; on the default Grasslands map the light sources cover the proper amount of squares, but if I make a new map they seem to default to the original maptool distances on light sources (ie the bright 5, while bright, covers about half a square around the token projecting the light). I have no idea how to fix this without breaking something, so help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

edit: I found the problem, I didn't realize the distance per square had to be set to 1 when I make a new map. Oops.

Surrealistik
Kobold

Post by Surrealistik »

Requesting some custom code functions:

Applying a bonus/penalty to skill checks, with the option of decrementing all, or one.

Applying a bonus/penalty to defenses, with the option of decrementing all, or one.

Applying a bonus/penalty to attack rolls.

Applying a bonus/penalty to damage rolls.

Applying a bonus/penalty to saving throws, with the option to input a string to specify keywords it applies to if applicable.

Applying a bonus/penalty to movement speed.

andeman99
Kobold

Post by andeman99 »

Hi Veggie,
First time posting on the forum. Just want to start by saying THANK YOU for making such a great framework. It's revolutionized the way my friends and I keep in touch through gaming, even when we live across the country from each other.

I'm running Veg 2.34, with Maptools 1.3b86

I've been having some freezing problems when hosting a server using this configuration. My program will run very slowly when moving tokens, and crashes. This has only really happened on maps that have a lot of information on them, ie lots of tokens or a detailed background. My question is: would this freezing be caused by using a newer version of maptools? Or is my computer to blame here?

Thanks again,
Andy

PS: While reading the documentation on your framework again, I saw the memory requirements. I had mine set at 64min, 1000max, and 15 stack size. Is the 64min something that might have screwed up the system? I feel dumb for not seeing that minimum memory setting before...

silversonic
Cave Troll

Post by silversonic »

Your minimum memory is normal. I would be more concerned with stack size, as 10 mb is already a pretty high stack size to begin with, although I'm not 100% sure if 15 would cause any problems like the ones you're describing.. In any case, there is definitely nothing wrong with your minimum memory.
I don't want the world, I just want your half.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Stack size could be part of the problem - a 15MB stack size is going to chew up a lot of memory very fast, and (IIRC) excessive stack sizes do cause a performance hit.

On the other hand, it could be something as simple as a whole lot of high-resolution images swamping the max memory - it can happen pretty easily if you throw down too many images. Add vision blocking and fog on that and you can get "catastrophic" slowdown.

I would say that it's most likely a combination of these - 15MB stack is eating up memory, which then gets jammed up with too much image data, and the result is MapTool starts to chug. The only sure-fire way to fix it is to redesign the map and eliminate highly complex vision blocking and go easy on the large and/or very-high-resolution images.

silversonic
Cave Troll

Post by silversonic »

I have a custom code question:

I'm trying to expend a power through another power (in this case, the power 'Rage Strike' expends the power 'Bloodseekers Rage'), and although I can get the button colors to set correctly, the rest macro will not refresh the powers that were 'used' by the custom code. Just wondering if anyone else has found a solution to this problem.

Here is the custom code block I used.

Expends Bloodseeker`s Rage: [R: setMacroProps('Blood Seekers Rage', 'color=white;fontColor=black')]
I don't want the world, I just want your half.

DDK
Cave Troll

Post by DDK »

Last I remember someone was working on importing PC and monster files from the character/monster builder. I was wondering if that was available yet?

Return to “D&D 4e Frameworks”