Brexor/MD's DC Universe (M&M 3rd) campaign framework

Framework(s) for D&D 4e, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

chatty
Kobold

Re: Brexor/MD's DC Universe (M&M 3rd) campaign framework

Post by chatty »

Can you explain what Hamachi does for you in the mix? I'm trying to see the advantage over having clients connect to my maptools server over the internet and LAN (sometimes we have two machines connected in the same locale).

Thanks!
C

brexor
Cave Troll

Post by brexor »

For us, Hamachi was the tool we used to bypass connection issues. Hamachi is software that manages/creates a VPN (Virtual Private Network) which allows folks to connect over the internet as if they were on a LAN. When we first started gaming using Maptool we had issues with some people connecting to the server and Hamachi was the solution we found. If you can connect just fine WITHOUT Hamachi, then skip it (you lucky dog!).
Last edited by brexor on Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

rstehwien
Kobold

Post by rstehwien »

Nice framework. I used v.85 for a session and it worked out pretty well. I'm looking to make some alterations to help out in my game - mainly rolling attacks and defenses for my villains and minions (and using some stuff I found helpful in a D&D 4E framework I used). Here is what I'm thinking on adding:
  • Minion Flag
  • Calculate degrees of success/failure - For rolls add a target as well as modifier and it will calculate success or failure degrees Math is easy: Success is (roll-difficulty)RoundDown + 1. Failure is (difficulty - roll)RoundUp
  • Attack Single - A standard damage attack on the currently selected token. Choose effect, attack, defense, and resistance.
  • Area Attack - Attack all selected. Choose effect, dodge and resistance.
  • Takedown Attack - Takedown attack on all selected. Choose attack, effect, defense, and resistance. Stops when minion not taken down.
  • Team Attack - The selected tokens attack a chosen token.
  • Affliction - Add affliction attack
  • Weaken - Add weaken attack
  • Save at end of turn
First attempt to do any real scripting in Maptool but programming is what I do for a living... wish they used a real language. If I manage to make any significant progress, I can post macro's here if desired.

brexor
Cave Troll

Post by brexor »

Heck yeah! I'd love to see what you've put together.

brexor
Cave Troll

Post by brexor »

<update>
Fixed some pet peeves from the Power/Effect Maker.

Also:
I'm trying to get my Gm to help me write a Gm guide, to no avail. Perhaps I should light a fire under his donkey...

chatty
Kobold

Post by chatty »

I am terribly ignorant.

Is there a way to edit these framework files?

brexor
Cave Troll

Post by brexor »

Yeah, you open the framework in Maptool. You can select the "Lib:dcfiles" token (which has all the macros stored on it). You can edit the code in each macro to get your desired effect.

chatty
Kobold

Post by chatty »

brexor wrote:Yeah, you open the framework in Maptool. You can select the "Lib:dcfiles" token (which has all the macros stored on it). You can edit the code in each macro to get your desired effect.
Thanks!

I certainly hope to eke out the time to start helping with this once I figure out what it's supposed to do as is.

(not that I have any programming background. But, you know. I like to tinker).

Hoodsey
Kobold

Post by Hoodsey »

I don't know if I overlooked this or not, but how are you guys handling movement since it's on a massive scale?

brexor
Cave Troll

Post by brexor »

Hoodsey wrote:I don't know if I overlooked this or not, but how are you guys handling movement since it's on a massive scale?
Our gaming group is made up of 6 players/1 GM who never see each other face to face anymore. We started as a run-of-the-mill group in the same town and all. We started using Maptool to allow one player who moved away to continue to be part of the group. As timed passed, we are all living in different cities(states even) and thankfully Maptool has kept the gang together. When we started playing over the web D&D was the game at the time and we needed something that could handle the tactical movement and we chose Maptool, now it is what we use to play ANYTHING...

to answer your question about movement, we don't use anything within the framework to handle movement. Movement is handled through the narrative by the GM. Maptool is an awesome tool to track pretty much everything that needs to be done "at table" but specifically with M&M it becomes challenging to scale movement and ranges. We use the framework to handle our conditions, dice rolls, damage and that sort of thing. We kinda pile the tokens in the middle of the map and just let our imaginations handle everything else.

Hoodsey
Kobold

Post by Hoodsey »

Yeah, from what I've been reading M&M isn't designed to be used with a battle map, but this is an ingenious way to handle things, as I'm in the Army I have a similar situation with the friends moving away...

ziltmilt
Dragon

Post by ziltmilt »

brexor wrote:
to answer your question about movement, we don't use anything within the framework to handle movement. Movement is handled through the narrative by the GM. Maptool is an awesome tool to track pretty much everything that needs to be done "at table" but specifically with M&M it becomes challenging to scale movement and ranges.
Ever thought of using the optional rules for tactical movement from Mastermind's Manual? They're pretty cool. The way it works is that the listed movement per round for a move power is what you can do is you're moving all-out (typically 4x regular movement in D&D/Pathfinder). Otherwise, a move action covers 30' + (move power rank * 5').

adrian gideon
Kobold

Post by adrian gideon »

Bumping to see if there are any updates (either from Brexor or rstehwien) :D

brexor
Cave Troll

Post by brexor »

adrian gideon wrote:Bumping to see if there are any updates (either from Brexor or rstehwien) :D
I haven't had the chance to play M&M/DC for a couple months so haven't had any updates. But...for those who are using it and would like to make me a list of bugs/requests I'd be very happy to put some effort into improvements.

Entropicurity
Kobold

Post by Entropicurity »

I know this hasn't been updated since back in April, but I have to say I am VERY impressed with the framework!

I haven't had a good look at the code yet, though is it even remotely possible to adapt this framework with other like games (not necessarily DC specific) and have the colors and everything you have managed in here be modified to fit whatever style I as a GM would be interested in?

Also, I would love to know how the campaign is going, I've been lurking for a while ever since the original incarnation of the 2e MnM framework, and would love to know if you are still using this even with the current stable release?

Thanks in advance for any input!
- Chris
----
"A gem is not polished without rubbing, nor a man perfected without trials." - Chinese Proverb
----

Return to “D&D 4e Frameworks”