Veggiesama's Framework (D&D 4e) -- Old Discussion

Framework(s) for D&D 4e, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

PyroMancer2k
Dragon

Veggiesama's Framework (D&D 4e) -- Old Discussion

Post by PyroMancer2k »

Veggiesama wrote:I know there's a million lurking bugs, so watch out.

I'd also love to hear suggestions, so tell me what you think.
Well first off I tried to take a look at it and the create power macro wouldn't run. So I rebooted MT with a larger stack and it worked fine then. This is not a good thing you should make sure the macros run in the default stack size as most people don't know about increasing the stack size. Sure a lot of the more experience people in the forums do but probably not as many of the no-coders which I think this is intended for.

The "White" crit display can be fixed rather easily. Simply enclose the text in a if() check instead of just the font color. This should solve the problem so you don't have to hide it as a white font. Which you can still see the high light of the damage roll cause it has the gray outline.

Is there a reason that the power is limited to only 6 rolls? It doesn't seem unreasonable that you could have more then 6 targets in some of the large AoE at later levels.

I'd also like to point out that AoE powers in 4e only do one damage roll which applies to all monsters hit. The only exception is monsters in the AoE that were hit by a crit but even then if more then one had a crit on them they would both take the same crit damage roll. I'm pretty sure this is done to speed up the game for PnP play and in MT's it is not that big of an issue though I figured you should know in case someone does want it to work that way ;).

Lindharin
Dragon

Re: Veggiesama's Simple Power Macro Creator & Campaign Template

Post by Lindharin »

PyroMancer2k wrote:Well first off I tried to take a look at it and the create power macro wouldn't run. So I rebooted MT with a larger stack and it worked fine then. This is not a good thing you should make sure the macros run in the default stack size as most people don't know about increasing the stack size.
I agree with Pyro, but unfortunately it is not that simple. The Java "default" stack size apparently varies by platform, JVM, or something. I believe that Craig's default setup can run macros that choke on my computer when I use my default stack size. Supposedly the default stack size in the Java documentation is 512K, but that definitely isn't the case in my computer. I believe my computer defaults to 256K stack size instead. This causes some macros to work fine for some users, and choke for others, even when none of them have modified their stack sizes.

That's why I'd like to see MapTools set an explicit stack size (say, the Java intended default of 512K) so that when people post macros on here they should be universally usable. The only alternative is for macro contributors to explicitly down-grade their stack sizes to the minimum common denominator, whatever that might be, when testing their macros. And I think that would be a horrible way to go...

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Unless I am missing something, you need to change the Crit value and take it off the character/token and put it on the weapon. There are far to many feats(yes.. I know they are on the character) which give a higher Crit range for specific weapons or weapon types. If I missed something, just ignore me..... :?
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Veggiesama
Dragon

Post by Veggiesama »

PyroMancer2k wrote:Well first off I tried to take a look at it and the create power macro wouldn't run. So I rebooted MT with a larger stack and it worked fine then. This is not a good thing you should make sure the macros run in the default stack size as most people don't know about increasing the stack size. Sure a lot of the more experience people in the forums do but probably not as many of the no-coders which I think this is intended for.
I'm not sure how to set a larger stack. I'm just running default. Didn't realize this was a problem.
PyroMancer2k wrote:The "White" crit display can be fixed rather easily. Simply enclose the text in a if() check instead of just the font color. This should solve the problem so you don't have to hide it as a white font. Which you can still see the high light of the damage roll cause it has the gray outline.
Did that, but then the entire text gains a tooltip that doesn't tell the player anything. I wanted each tooltip to break down the mods, so the player doesn't have to cross his fingers and hope the macro is working as intended.
PyroMancer2k wrote:Is there a reason that the power is limited to only 6 rolls? It doesn't seem unreasonable that you could have more then 6 targets in some of the large AoE at later levels.
Yes. When someone tries a large number of repeats, often the macro won't work (due to COUNT() having problems) . I was experiencing this at about ~8 repetitions, or two ~3s if there were secondary attacks. This was because MapTool didn't like an outrageous number of repetitions. I tried to stay on the safe side, and a user can just click the macro multiple times if there's going to be >6.
PyroMancer2k wrote:I'd also like to point out that AoE powers in 4e only do one damage roll which applies to all monsters hit. The only exception is monsters in the AoE that were hit by a crit but even then if more then one had a crit on them they would both take the same crit damage roll. I'm pretty sure this is done to speed up the game for PnP play and in MT's it is not that big of an issue though I figured you should know in case someone does want it to work that way ;).
Thanks for the mention. I was going to put an option for this, but I got a little lazy. However, there are powers like the ranger's "Triple Shot" which use the same roll for multiple attacks but don't share dmg like AoEs (I would think, not sure).
Lindharin wrote:That's why I'd like to see MapTools set an explicit stack size (say, the Java intended default of 512K) so that when people post macros on here they should be universally usable.
Sounds good to me. =P
jfrazierjr wrote:Unless I am missing something, you need to change the Crit value and take it off the character/token and put it on the weapon. There are far to many feats(yes.. I know they are on the character) which give a higher Crit range for specific weapons or weapon types. If I missed something, just ignore me..... :?
Thought about that, and it's a good idea. Right now it just saves your last Critical Threshold value when you go to execute the power. I think I set it up this way because there are lots of ways to temporarily change your crit threshold and it seemed easier to keep it in one place and remember what it last was.

Thanks for checking it out.
My D&D 4e Campaign FrameworkMy Shadowrun 4e Campaign Framework
RPGA#: 5223846427 — Skype: Veggiesama — Fear the ferret.

PyroMancer2k
Dragon

Post by PyroMancer2k »

Veggiesama wrote: I'm not sure how to set a larger stack. I'm just running default. Didn't realize this was a problem.
Yea as Lindharin said though it seems Java runs at different defaults on different machines. I know most of my macros run on 256k but the attack macros won't they do work at 512k which is supposedly Java's "default". And I just tested my new dialog box setups and only about 1/2 of them run the low 256k setup. But over all I'd say that's not to bad.
Veggiesama wrote: Did that, but then the entire text gains a tooltip that doesn't tell the player anything. I wanted each tooltip to break down the mods, so the player doesn't have to cross his fingers and hope the macro is working as intended.
You can create custom tooltips. I do it my Dialog boxes check out the new Token's char sheet if you want an example.

This post shows the basic code behind it and a screen shot of it's potential but not the code used to make it.
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?p=73301#p73301
Veggiesama wrote: Yes. When someone tries a large number of repeats, often the macro won't work (due to COUNT() having problems) . I was experiencing this at about ~8 repetitions, or two ~3s if there were secondary attacks. This was because MapTool didn't like an outrageous number of repetitions. I tried to stay on the safe side, and a user can just click the macro multiple times if there's going to be >6.
That is ODD. I use a looping system to handle my equipment and did a "stress" test of the system and it handled over 70 items. Of which like 40 were in one group so to make the list for selection it had to loop through 40 times.
Veggiesama wrote: Thanks for the mention. I was going to put an option for this, but I got a little lazy. However, there are powers like the ranger's "Triple Shot" which use the same roll for multiple attacks but don't share dmg like AoEs (I would think, not sure).
I don't know about that Ranger's Triple Shot says 1-3 Targets and it says 3 attacks so I think it's much like Twin Strike only with 3 attacks instead of 2.

The general rule in the WotC forums when this topic is discussed the general consensuses is Multiple Attacks then Multiple Damage Rolls. This means powers like Twin Strike or any other that say Two Attacks(Or any other number) get multiple damage rolls. Attacks that say hit All creatures in an area or group of creatures only do one damage roll. A lot of the ranger powers are easy to spot this in as the damage says "Per Attack".

Also don't confuse "Attacks" with "Attack Rolls" cause they are not the same which is another issue that came up in Rules Forums when it came to AOE and penalty from fighters Mark. An AoE attack on the fighter didn't give penalty to hit on the other creatures because he is targeting the fighter with that "Attack" ;). Each Attack has it's own damage roll is the easiest way to think of it.

EDIT: I did a quick search on Rangers powers and the closest thing I could find is level 1 daily Split The Tree. But you still make two attack rolls you just get keep the highest. And by it's wording it's not two seperate attacks so you only roll damage once.

Veggiesama
Dragon

Post by Veggiesama »

PyroMancer2k wrote:You can create custom tooltips. I do it my Dialog boxes check out the new Token's char sheet if you want an example.
Way cool. I hadn't seen that before. I will definitely incorporate that, but only when MapTool stops timing out tooltips after a few seconds (like you mention in the post). I'd also like to figure out a way to allow users to preview the powers without spamming the chat--maybe fire up a dialog window?
PyroMancer2k wrote:That is ODD. I use a looping system to handle my equipment and did a "stress" test of the system and it handled over 70 items. Of which like 40 were in one group so to make the list for selection it had to loop through 40 times.
Try creating a power macro, check every option, and run it with both repeats set to 6. For me, it fills up the chat box with a bunch of HTML and refuses to send to chat.

I *think* I figured out the problem. It doesn't have to do with COUNT(), like I suspected (somebody mentioned COUNT() was buggy with too many lines), but I think the chat box just gets filled up with too much text. The chunkiest macro I can make is about ~3000 characters, and that probably doubles with 10 extra attack/damage lines. I don't know if there's a limit or what it is.
PyroMancer2k wrote:Ranger/AoE discussion
Interesting. Many of these attacks are difficult to model without having an exception for each way of doing it. A lot of the ranger attacks say "Attack: Strength vs. AC (main weapon and off-hand weapon), two attacks", but in a lot of cases that could just as easily be described as "Effect: Make a secondary attack with off-hand weapon." Only problem with that is a power like Two-Wolf Pounce (p107), which has three different attack rolls and three different damage rolls. That could have been described using "Tertiary attack," but I think the writers opted for the simplest way of describing it... not that it's simple to model with the macro creator.

If a player has to make something like that, they can make two separate macros with the generator, break open the macro and fix it themselves, or write a new macro from scratch. I guess I'd rather push glaring exceptions to the side rather than put in time adapting my macro for just a small % of problematic powers.

(BTW, I agree with you on Split the Tree. One damage roll seems fine. On p111, though, Triple-Shot asks for three attacks, and each attack asks for damage.

Whatever the case, asking for one damage roll is just a time-saving product of D&D. Same with one init roll for a group of monsters or whatever. MapTool makes it easier, though, so I want to keep the option open).

PyroMancer2k
Dragon

Post by PyroMancer2k »

Veggiesama wrote: Way cool. I hadn't seen that before. I will definitely incorporate that, but only when MapTool stops timing out tooltips after a few seconds (like you mention in the post). I'd also like to figure out a way to allow users to preview the powers without spamming the chat--maybe fire up a dialog window?
Yea as you can tell from the post I didn't know you could do it either ;). As for the timing issue I think it's fine as long as you keep the details in it short after all you expect them to tooltip the current totals which have the same time limit. And my ones on char sheet just display the Skill Bonus, Level Bonus, Ability Bonus, and Armor Penalty when you mouse over the skill's total which isn't that much info to view in the few second time.

You already got them viewing the box which I think can be a bit clumsy and I know annoys me when I try to read cause I look at the right side trying to see which variables are being used then where they fit on the right with nothing but numbers in the display. And it's not just your macro but all even my own I always thought it was a bit annoying. But I plan to rework mine to have the custom tooltips with the name of bonus right next the number so it's easier to read in those few seconds you have ;).
Veggiesama wrote: Try creating a power macro, check every option, and run it with both repeats set to 6. For me, it fills up the chat box with a bunch of HTML and refuses to send to chat.

I *think* I figured out the problem. It doesn't have to do with COUNT(), like I suspected (somebody mentioned COUNT() was buggy with too many lines), but I think the chat box just gets filled up with too much text. The chunkiest macro I can make is about ~3000 characters, and that probably doubles with 10 extra attack/damage lines. I don't know if there's a limit or what it is.
Well actually I think it's the CODE: {} issue that is your problem. Cause it's a known issue that you can only put so much into a CODE block or it won't run.
Veggiesama wrote:
PyroMancer2k wrote:Ranger/AoE discussion
Interesting. Many of these attacks are difficult to model without having an exception for each way of doing it. A lot of the ranger attacks say "Attack: Strength vs. AC (main weapon and off-hand weapon), two attacks", but in a lot of cases that could just as easily be described as "Effect: Make a secondary attack with off-hand weapon." Only problem with that is a power like Two-Wolf Pounce (p107), which has three different attack rolls and three different damage rolls. That could have been described using "Tertiary attack," but I think the writers opted for the simplest way of describing it... not that it's simple to model with the macro creator.

If a player has to make something like that, they can make two separate macros with the generator, break open the macro and fix it themselves, or write a new macro from scratch. I guess I'd rather push glaring exceptions to the side rather than put in time adapting my macro for just a small % of problematic powers.

(BTW, I agree with you on Split the Tree. One damage roll seems fine. On p111, though, Triple-Shot asks for three attacks, and each attack asks for damage.

Whatever the case, asking for one damage roll is just a time-saving product of D&D. Same with one init roll for a group of monsters or whatever. MapTool makes it easier, though, so I want to keep the option open).
Actually my Attack Macro template handles all of that. I posted some pics of it on one of my updates so I can show you.

Single Attack
Multiple Attacks with 1 Damage roll (Burst/Blast)
Multiple Attacks with separate Damage rolls
Multiple Attacks switching between Main and Off hand weapons.

The player just has to change these options at the start of the macro to switch between the different types ;). Which are explained by comments in the macro itself.

Code: Select all

[H:MultiAttacks = 0]
[H:SeparateDamage=0]
[H:RotateWeapons=0]
Your Token Prop setup though makes it kinda hard. Especially since you ask the person to enter the name of the weapon props for each power.

Veggiesama
Dragon

Re: Veggiesama's D&D 4e Power Macro Creator & Campaign Template

Post by Veggiesama »

Custom tooltips definitely sound like the way to go. And you're right about the little box being clumsy. I'll admit I didn't look too much at what everyone else was doing (didn't want to steal TOO much code), but right now I'm a bit burned out on writing macros. I'll collect a few more fresh ideas and jump back into it later.

And you're right about the CODE thing. Must have mixed it up in my head. That power creator macro is a hideous mass of tangled code, so I have a certain dread about looking through it again. =P

I like the way you used colors and font formats to disambiguate the rolls. The benefit of having a set of templates to edit is the flexibility, but I just really wanted a quick, no-code option for complete MapTool newbies.

Ideally, I want someone to enter the prop names for attack and damage rolls and be done. It's a little more verbose than I'd like, but there's only ~20 or so properties to worry about. And the reason you have to enter the code for each power is that so many of them change. Some use 1(W), some 3(W), some give you no Str bonus to dmg, and some give you Str+Wis, and some do other crazy things. All of the actual variables are handled elsewhere, like in the Equip/Edit Weapons macro, and can be swapped out during play.

Finally, I *believe* the power creator macro is campaign properties independent. If you use "StrMod" instead of "StrBonus", you can change that without having to edit the campaign properties macro. I think the only variable referenced specifically is "Private," at knizia.fan's request. I might be wrong.

PyroMancer2k
Dragon

Post by PyroMancer2k »

Veggiesama wrote:Custom tooltips definitely sound like the way to go. And you're right about the little box being clumsy. I'll admit I didn't look too much at what everyone else was doing (didn't want to steal TOO much code), but right now I'm a bit burned out on writing macros. I'll collect a few more fresh ideas and jump back into it later.
Hay it doesn't matter. It's like the old saying "Don't try to reinvent the wheel". If something works and it does it in a good way that you like then use it.
Veggiesama wrote: And you're right about the CODE thing. Must have mixed it up in my head. That power creator macro is a hideous mass of tangled code, so I have a certain dread about looking through it again. =P
I know how you feel I go on long coding sprees followed by a bit of a break cause a lot of my macros are pretty big and though I try to organize them sometimes due to MT limitations I end up hack n slashing a bunch of things around at the last min cause what I wrote ran into the "displays in chat but doesn't run bug".
Veggiesama wrote: I like the way you used colors and font formats to disambiguate the rolls. The benefit of having a set of templates to edit is the flexibility, but I just really wanted a quick, no-code option for complete MapTool newbies.
Well even so you are actually asked the user to enter the Attack & Damage formulas which is basically the same things as having them make the code it's just displayed easier so they don't have to worry as much about syntax.

With the Template I've actually been considering making a macro that creates a macro for the user. Though it's a long way off but it would tie into my template setup quite nicely. I'm going to make a Lib:Token macro that handles all the code like the template does now and even add some more support cause right now I have 3 different templates for weapons, and 2 for implements. One of the alternatives for each handles "Ammo" the other on weapon is for powers that let you choose Melee/Range such as Twin Strike.

Anyhow if I ever get to the point it would basically create a macro with the same type of variable setup in the button followed by it passing all those values to the Main Macro on the Lib:Token. So first it's completely rework the attack macro followed by setting up system that lets you pass the variables to it. It's not as simple as copy/paste my old template which is an "option" but I wanna rework it cause there are a lot of things it does that I don't like the way it handles which won't allow for curtain items such as High Crit Weapons. Then I plan to add a whole tooltip setup to the rolls which it doesn't currently have. So it's better to start from scratch ;). Cause sometimes you just have to scrap a coding setup and start anew to improve it. Which I've actually done several times to my macros hehe.
Veggiesama wrote: Ideally, I want someone to enter the prop names for attack and damage rolls and be done. It's a little more verbose than I'd like, but there's only ~20 or so properties to worry about. And the reason you have to enter the code for each power is that so many of them change. Some use 1(W), some 3(W), some give you no Str bonus to dmg, and some give you Str+Wis, and some do other crazy things. All of the actual variables are handled elsewhere, like in the Equip/Edit Weapons macro, and can be swapped out during play.
You can actually handle that as my template handles all those options currently. Have them enter then #W in one of the slots and it will then roll the weapon dice that many times. Something simple like this can do it.

[DamageDone = 0]
[C(WCount): DamageDone = DamageDone + Mainhand_WpnDmgDice]
The other stuff requires more options which you need to keep track of. Which I know can be pesky I got several variables at the top of my template. The good thing though is since those cases are rare most of them you don't need to worry about changing them.
Veggiesama wrote: Finally, I *believe* the power creator macro is campaign properties independent. If you use "StrMod" instead of "StrBonus", you can change that without having to edit the campaign properties macro. I think the only variable referenced specifically is "Private," at knizia.fan's request. I might be wrong.
Well most people stick to the ***Bonus setup. I know I use them in my token even though they are in a string prop and you run the varsFromStrProp() at the start of most macros to get them into normal variable format so you don't have to do a ton of getStrProp() commands hehe.

And yea the power creator macro is independent of the campaign in large part because it requires you enter the variable names. But at the same time it means that the user is gonna need some knowledge of the code and their token variable setup in order to use it. This is gonna be true of any power generator that works independently of a predetermined token props setup.

I would advise potentially added an option that saves the last macro the person made into the prompt because if they are using a different variable system it's gonna get very annoying for them to constantly edit it.

Jalella
Kobold

Post by Jalella »

About the stack size: I ran into this problem too. I created a power macro just for the text of Paladin: Divine Challenge and couldn't get it working until I read in the forum about the possibility to change the stack size.

I would suggest to add this tiny effective little parameter to the default call script for maptools "-Xss (stack size)" say with a stack size of 2MB. That's not too much considering the memory usage of maptools and for me it worked fine even on far bigger macros.

Veggiesama
Dragon

Post by Veggiesama »

If anyone reading this can't figure out why your macros aren't working, find the file called "Launch MapTool-1G-Memory.bat" (or whichever batch you use). Right-click on it, and press Edit. Make the text in notepad look like this, and save:

javaw -Xmx1024M -Xss2M -jar maptool-*.jar run
Mac/Linux people: Use webstart, or you're on your own. Main thing to know is adding -Xss2M to your command arguments. Thanks Jalella.
Last edited by Veggiesama on Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

The hitch in messing with stack size is that you cannot use the Web Start version of MapTool if you need a higher stack size. Craig also points out that it limits the availability of your macros to others, but (at least in my case) I only do this for my group, and I can browbeat them into altering their startup file.

Still, in the general sense - like if you want to make these campaigns available - it limits accessibility.

tektonik
Dragon

Post by tektonik »

Problems so far.

High pri:
Temp Fix - I brokeied it.

Could not execute the command: Invalid input type '+ Intelligence modifier ice damage.' in the parameter string 'HitDesc | 3|w| + Intelligence modifier ice damage. | Hit description | TEXT | width=110'
I just made new macros with another default player token and copied code over. I think I know what broke it was me putting |w| in the text string instead of (). WHOOPS
-Since you keep my last used whatevers when I do powers if I do a bunch of implement powers then try and do a weapon power I lose some of the variables and I have to cancel then go and find out what variable I need to put in. Is there a way to put a variable list? Maybe a De-Facto text box that is never used?
-After editing a weapon, or any item I assume, you have to re-equip it to get the changes.

Med:
Temp Fixed - You need to put a check box for weapons to ask weather it is a high crit or not and then just add |w| at the end of the crit statement that is rolled not maximized if yes. There are a lot of high crit weapons now and 3 feats that turn weapons into high crit with more to come. Right now I just put in Mainhand_WpnDmgDice as an additional thing in the crit line and probably is the best solution
- When I do item powers I am having issues of how to get the display to match what the item's actions actually do. For example; Bloodclaw is an at-will free but when I select item power I can never choose the action type to at-will which is confusing when I also do Veteran's Armor and it is supposed to be a daily/free but the output for bloodclaw and Vet armor looks the same.

Low:
When I take Intelligent Blademaster I use Int instead of Str for basic melee's I just had to edit the macro code but I am not sure most people would know how to do this.

Comments:
When I am doing my implement powers I am doing it LevelBonus + IntBonus + Mainhand_WpnAtkBonus - 3 in order to counter act the prof bonus.

EDIT: added item bug

Veggiesama
Dragon

Post by Veggiesama »

tektonik wrote:

Could not execute the command: Invalid input type '+ Intelligence modifier ice damage.' in the parameter string 'HitDesc | 3|w| + Intelligence modifier ice damage. | Hit description | TEXT | width=110'
I just made new macros with another default player token and copied code over. I think I know what broke it was me putting |w| in the text string instead of (). WHOOPS
-Since you keep my last used whatevers when I do powers if I do a bunch of implement powers then try and do a weapon power I lose some of the variables and I have to cancel then go and find out what variable I need to put in. Is there a way to put a variable list? Maybe a De-Facto text box that is never used?
Yeah, you're right. I need to include a few more notes. What you mentioned is in the tutorial and default values, but new users can get confused easily.

As for losing your changes, it sucks, yeah. I'm wondering if I could include all of a power's information in a string property, but then I'd have to create new campaign properties, like the 10 different weapons you can save. What would be a good upper-limit for powers? Like 15-20?

But if I did that, the macro would have to be tied to a certain campaign properties set, which would suck for people who don't want to be forced to use my properties.
tektonik wrote:
-After editing a weapon, or any item I assume, you have to re-equip it to get the changes.
Another note I got to put in there, unless I change the structure.
tektonik wrote:
Med:
Temp Fixed - You need to put a check box for weapons to ask weather it is a high crit or not and then just add |w| at the end of the crit statement that is rolled not maximized if yes. There are a lot of high crit weapons now and 3 feats that turn weapons into high crit with more to come. Right now I just put in Mainhand_WpnDmgDice as an additional thing in the crit line and probably is the best solution
You should be able to specify exactly how the crit works in the Crit code. Also you might want to put the extra damage dice in the "Mainhand_WpnCritBonusDice" variable. Normally it's "1d6" if you have a +1 magic item, but take the following situation: you're level 15, have a +3 weapon have a high crit weapon (that's an extra 2[W]), and the devastating critical feat. Instead of just "1d6", you'd type "3d6 + Mainhand_CritMaxDmg + Mainhand_WpnDmgDice + Mainhand_WpnDmgDice + 1d10" into the Mainhand_WpnCritBonusDice. This *should* work, but I don't think I specifically tested it. No checkbox needed.
tektonik wrote: - When I do item powers I am having issues of how to get the display to match what the item's actions actually do. For example; Bloodclaw is an at-will free but when I select item power I can never choose the action type to at-will which is confusing when I also do Veteran's Armor and it is supposed to be a daily/free but the output for bloodclaw and Vet armor looks the same.
Just set it to an at-will ability. The "magic item" type was just for an orange title-bar. Or mention "at-will" somewhere in the description of the power.
tektonik wrote:
Low:
When I take Intelligent Blademaster I use Int instead of Str for basic melee's I just had to edit the macro code but I am not sure most people would know how to do this.
Yah. I made the Basic Atk macros with the macro creator based on the PHB blocks in the combat chapter. You can easily remake the macro, but editting the code is easier, like you did.
tektonik wrote:
When I am doing my implement powers I am doing it LevelBonus + IntBonus + Mainhand_WpnAtkBonus - 3 in order to counter act the prof bonus.
Good catch. Like we're finding, there are plenty of special cases. You could have put the 3 in the Misc0 property and subtract that. Or make two versions of the weapon, one as implement and one as weapon. Whatever's simplest and easiest to keep updated for you.

EDITS: answered two questions I missed

Lindharin
Dragon

Post by Lindharin »

Veggiesama wrote: As for losing your changes, it sucks, yeah. I'm wondering if I could include all of a power's information in a string property, but then I'd have to create new campaign properties, like the 10 different weapons you can save. What would be a good upper-limit for powers? Like 15-20?
I have not tried this yet, but in theory you should be able to use the new encode and decode functions to make string properties within string properties.

For example, let's say you build up your power definition in a string property and some samples look something like:

[Power_Library = ""]
[power_def1 = ""]
[power_def1 = setStrProp( power_def1, "Name" , "First Power")]
[power_def1 = setStrProp( power_def1, "Atk" , "3")]
[power_def1 = setStrProp( power_def1, "Dmg" , "1d6")]
[power_def2 = ""]
[power_def2 = setStrProp( power_def2, "Name" , "Second Power")]
[power_def2 = setStrProp( power_def2, "Atk" , "3")]
[power_def2 = setStrProp( power_def2, "Dmg" , "1d6")]
[power_def3 = ""]
[power_def3 = setStrProp( power_def3, "Name" , "Third Power")]
[power_def3 = setStrProp( power_def3, "Atk" , "3")]
[power_def3 = setStrProp( power_def3, "Dmg" , "1d6")]
[Power_Library = setStrProp ( Power_Library , "Power1" , encode(power_def1) )]
[Power_Library = setStrProp ( Power_Library , "Power2" , encode(power_def2) )]
[Power_Library = setStrProp ( Power_Library , "Power3" , encode(power_def3) )]
That builds 3 power definition string properties, then adds each of them (in encoded format) as a string property to a single token property called Power_Library. Power_Library then has 3 string properties: Power1, Power2 and Power3, each of which is the encoded contents of an entire power definition.

Then you can access them like this:

[h:varsFromStrProp(Power_Library)]
[h:Power1 = decode(Power1)]
[r:"I attack with " + getStrProp(Power1, "Name") + ".  My attack roll is " + eval("1d20+" + getStrProp(Power1, "Atk")) +".  My damage is " + eval(""+getStrProp(Power1, "Dmg")) ]
That turns the Power_Library back into three variables (Power1, Power2, Power3), then decodes Power1 to turn it back into viable string properties, and then outputs a line of text using the info from Power1.

Does that make sense? If so, then your power builder could use the same process to save the definitions of all of the powers, not just the most recent.

Return to “D&D 4e Frameworks”