Veggiesama bug?

Framework(s) for D&D 4e, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

mystara
Kobold

Veggiesama bug?

Post by mystara »

Hi,

I'm wondering if there's a bug in the Veggiesama framework.
I've tried to make a Thwarting Shot macro. But every time I run it, I get a StackOverflowError.

I've tried increasing the stack size (10m, 14m, 16m, 50m) with no luck. Looking at the stack trace, it looks like there's an infinite loop over the following functions:

at java.util.regex.Pattern$GroupTail.match(Pattern.java:4227)
at java.util.regex.Pattern$BranchConn.match(Pattern.java:4078)
at java.util.regex.Pattern$CharProperty.match(Pattern.java:3345)
at java.util.regex.Pattern$Branch.match(Pattern.java:4114)
at java.util.regex.Pattern$GroupHead.match(Pattern.java:4168)
at java.util.regex.Pattern$Loop.match(Pattern.java:4295)
at java.util.regex.Pattern$GroupTail.match(Pattern.java:4227)

Curiously, it seems to be the combination of "Use primary attack?" and "associated states" that cause the error. If I remove either one of these, the error disappears.

I'm running this on a mac. Latest OS with all updates.
veg 2.31 and maptools b74

Veggiesama
Dragon

Re: Veggiesama bug?

Post by Veggiesama »

Right-click on the token and save it, then attach it to a post. I'd like to see it.
My D&D 4e Campaign FrameworkMy Shadowrun 4e Campaign Framework
RPGA#: 5223846427 — Skype: Veggiesama — Fear the ferret.

mystara
Kobold

Post by mystara »

Here it is.

The problem power is Thwarting Shot.

A similar bug seems to present itself if I ask a power to repeat itself more than 1 time.
Attachments
Problem token.rptok
(107.94 KiB) Downloaded 103 times

Veggiesama
Dragon

Post by Veggiesama »

Unfortunately, I can't replicate the problem. I can do your Thwarting Shot with 10 repetitions and a supplement power. Takes a little while, but it eventually spits out the results.

Stack overflows are notoriously hard to pin down, since what works on my system might not work on yours. A friend of mine on a Mac tried to use my Shadowrun framework and ran into similar stack overflows, whereas the PC users did not. Since I know my Shadowrun framework is nowhere near as intensive as the D&D framework, we decided at the time to blame the Mac.

Sorry, not what you want to hear. =\

Any Mac users have any insight into this?

Doc_Waldo
Giant

Post by Doc_Waldo »

Give me a chance to duplicate. I run a pretty powerful mac, and can also run a VM and compare to windows.

On a side note, Vegglesama, how do you get that nice "stat" or "power" window/frame to come up in your framework, I saw it in your screen shot. I can't seem to figure out where to bring that window up. The title showing in the frame is "Shielding Smite". Thanks.
--DOC

mystara
Kobold

Solved

Post by mystara »

Solved!

Okay, I found the cause of the problem:
I wasn't increasing my stack size after all. I was doing something else that had no effect on the stack size.

In the mac download for MapTools, there does not appear to be a "LaunchMapTool-OSX.command" file. It also seems that the default stack size is set to only 4M. The correct procedure for editing the stack size seems to be as follows:

1) Navigate to your MapTool application
2) Control (or right) click on the application and select "Show Package Contents"
3) In the window that opens, double click the "Contents" folder
4) Edit the "Info.plist" file
5) Search for the line that reads "<string>-Xss4m -Xms32m -Xmx768m</string>"
6) Replace "-Xss4m" with "-Xss10m"
7) Save the file and launch MapTools

I would suggest that the MapTools devs implement a more user-friendly means of editing the stack size for macs. Or if there is already one, that they make it more obvious ;)
Last edited by mystara on Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Veggiesama
Dragon

Post by Veggiesama »

Doc_Waldo wrote:Give me a chance to duplicate. I run a pretty powerful mac, and can also run a VM and compare to windows.
Please do. My framework is really mean to Macs for some reason.
Doc_Waldo wrote:On a side note, Vegglesama, how do you get that nice "stat" or "power" window/frame to come up in your framework, I saw it in your screen shot. I can't seem to figure out where to bring that window up. The title showing in the frame is "Shielding Smite". Thanks.
Click on one of your character's power macros and press OK. Then you'll see the name of the power as a link in the chat. Click the link to open up a new power frame. You can then dock that frame in MapTool anywhere you want.

Veggiesama
Dragon

Re: Solved

Post by Veggiesama »

mystara wrote:Solved!
Excellent. Thank you, mystara. I'm going to put a link to your post in the FAQ for other mac users.

Doc_Waldo
Giant

Post by Doc_Waldo »

Thanks. Appreciate the help.

Oh, sorry, I should have mentioned the stack change issue. Last week I search and find a spot in the forum where it talked about switching the stack,etc. I misunderstood the problem.
--DOC

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Doc_Waldo wrote:Give me a chance to duplicate. I run a pretty powerful mac, and can also run a VM and compare to windows.

On a side note, Vegglesama, how do you get that nice "stat" or "power" window/frame to come up in your framework, I saw it in your screen shot. I can't seem to figure out where to bring that window up. The title showing in the frame is "Shielding Smite". Thanks.
its a tooltip. which you can either create automatically by turning it on in the MT settings, or create yourself by using e.g. formattooltip

Return to “D&D 4e Frameworks”