Rumble's 4E Framework, Version 5 - Discussion

Framework(s) for D&D 4e, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Rumble
Deity

Re: Rumble's 4E Framework, Version 5 - Discussion

Post by Rumble »

Guy Dude wrote:Blegh, at this point I wonder if it would be easier for you to just port features over to the Slim framework and make that your new base

I've considered it. It would be an all-or-nothing change for users, but I had the benefit of a lot more experience writing frameworks when I did Slim. As far as I can see, it involves:

1) Condition handling/tracking - already there.
2) Mechanical effects of conditions
3) Damage application
4) Conditions built in to the powers

And that's pretty much the big differences. They're by no means trivial, but they're probably easy to re-implement in the Slim paradigm.

Guy Dude
Giant

Post by Guy Dude »

It seems better than leaving one for dust, then you can focus on new features

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Is the "Hit:" line supposed to be showing up to players for monster attacks?

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

I'm hoping to have an update out today; I've polished up a lot of bugs and added some new automation (namely, skills that let you specify training, misc bonuses, and do autocalculation). There's no import support for these skills yet, which is why it's not out now, but that's on the way.

As for the hit line - it shows up when you hit. I thought it was suppressed for NPCs, but maybe not.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Okay, import support is pretty much working (it makes an educated guess, though it may not always be correct). Here's a screenshot of the updated skills screen:
newSkillsWithTraining.png
newSkillsWithTraining.png (77.86 KiB) Viewed 2595 times
As you can see, it shows the base ability, a "misc mod" section, and a checkbox for training. Checking the checkbox incorporates the +5 bonus. Misc mod incorporates everything else - racial, skill focus, whatever.

thecyberwolfe
Dragon

Post by thecyberwolfe »

I hate to tell you this, but it looks like you forgot to add the 1/2 level bonus in the skill calculations, and there's another error in the Nature skill math. Here's the screenshots. It is, however, pulling the Perception and Insight correctly now, aside form the half-level math.

*Edit: importing from the CB summary, screenshot of the character sheet for clarity.
Attachments
Character sheet
Character sheet
Skills2.PNG (27.52 KiB) Viewed 2588 times
Campaign results
Campaign results
Skills1.PNG (28.18 KiB) Viewed 2588 times
The Cyberwolfe
----------------
Them: "Name one thing a PC can do that a Mac can't!"
Me: "Right-click."

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

feces. I fixed that darn nature skill once already. It must not have taken or somehow been restored. Sonovabitch.

And I did forget the half level! Heh.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Alright, let's try that again.

Thank you, cyberwolfe - I totally had a brainfart on the half-level bonus.

I note that I'm going to have to eliminate the text about the "total skill bonus," too, but I'll do that in a minor update, not right this second. Also, the "quick reference sheet" is no longer correct, but again, that'll be a minor update later.

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Rumble wrote:As for the hit line - it shows up when you hit. I thought it was suppressed for NPCs, but maybe not.
Ah, can the suppress for NPCs be a framework option? I always scrub the secondary or after effect lines or other information on the power, so I don't mind the PCs seeing the results.

Had tons of fun the other night! :)

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Hawke wrote:
Rumble wrote:As for the hit line - it shows up when you hit. I thought it was suppressed for NPCs, but maybe not.
Ah, can the suppress for NPCs be a framework option? I always scrub the secondary or after effect lines or other information on the power, so I don't mind the PCs seeing the results.

Had tons of fun the other night! :)

I was looking at the code and it looks like the output should already only display to the GM if it's a hit. I'll have to do some checking, though.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

I've made Version 5.0.6 available. This addresses some specific issues DarkWiz58 raised in a bug report, specifically about backwards compatibility.

meshon
Cave Troll

Post by meshon »

We had our second awesome game last night with the FW, it's so awesome Rumble. I'm just going to upgrade from 5.03 to 5.06 and I've never upgraded a FW before. I would probably just export each map from the old campaign file and then import them into the new. Is there anything else I need to do?

Thanks!
Meshon

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

meshon wrote:We had our second awesome game last night with the FW, it's so awesome Rumble. I'm just going to upgrade from 5.03 to 5.06 and I've never upgraded a FW before. I would probably just export each map from the old campaign file and then import them into the new. Is there anything else I need to do?

Thanks!
Meshon
I'm glad it's working so well for you!

You may want to ask others here what their experience is like with upgrading. DarkWiz58 just went through the process, and ran into a couple issues that I think I have fixed.

Importing maps into the new file might be the easiest path, and then saving and dragging in your old tokens. I don't think power structures changed from 5.0.3 to 5.0.6, but one thing you will want to do is run the skill value updater that's located in the Campaign Macro panel - that will split the skill bonus up into different chunks. It doesn't figure out what you have trained, but it does get close (and it keeps the skill bonuses from being all screwed up).

Other than that...you should be okay.

Kethoth
Kobold

Post by Kethoth »

This is an amazing resource, Rumble. I'm not sure how you guys monetize this, but I'm sure my group would be happy to make a donation to to site for your excellent work.

Thanks much.

Kethoth.

Return to “D&D 4e Frameworks”