Rumble's 4E Framework, Version 5 - Discussion

Framework(s) for D&D 4e, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Deadolus
Giant

Re: Rumble's 4E Framework, Version 5 - Discussion

Post by Deadolus »

sylas wrote:does anyone know how to factor in a weapon that does ongoing 10 damage on crit only? i'm trying to use a Jagged weapon and while i can factor in the 19-20 crit range for melee powers, there doesn't seem to be anything i can add for the ongoing damage in the Power or the Inventory weapon.

Please help.
Code a second "Auto"matic power, and run it on a Crit.

Longshot
Giant

Post by Longshot »

Hey all. I am working on a importer from DDI compendium to Rumble format for use with this framework. It outputs to chat in case someone wants to use it as an intermediary for their own importer. Since this is Rumble’s Post, you can look in on it here:
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... 21#p242221

**Edit - moved it to different forum :)
Last edited by Longshot on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Epiktetus
Kobold

Post by Epiktetus »

Hey all, I just ran my first encounter with Rumble's 4E a couple days ago and it worked great. Thanks Rumble!

I only had trouble with one thing. For some reason anything that targets an Ally only seems to include the origin character. I've tried everything and I've searched everywhere that I can think of, but I can't seem to figure out how the framework figures out what an "Ally" is. Could anyone tell me?

StarMan
Dragon

Post by StarMan »

Hmmm, that doesn't sound right. Make sure each token's "Edit Token" notebook is set to the same thing (either "PC" or "NPC") in the upper right corner. I don't use this framework but think I remember reading that you need to select the tokens you wish to affect.
Longshot wrote:Hey all. I am working on a importer from DDI compendium to Rumble format for use with this framework. It outputs to chat in case someone wants to use it as an intermediary for their own importer. Since this is Rumble’s Post, you can look in on it here:
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... 35#p232535
Bravo LongShot! Given its many shortcomings, this framework needs all the help it can get. :wink: You even look to have one or two features mine doesn't ... yet! :shock: I look forward to seeing your results.
StarMan - The MacroPolicebox D&D 4E Framework: Import ANYTHING!

Epiktetus
Kobold

Post by Epiktetus »

StarMan wrote:Hmmm, that doesn't sound right. Make sure each token's "Edit Token" notebook is set to the same thing (either "PC" or "NPC") in the upper right corner. I don't use this framework but think I remember reading that you need to select the tokens you wish to affect.
Yup, those are set right, and I just noticed that it correctly removes Allies from the selection when it's a "Enemies Only" power, so it does seem to know what an Ally is. Maybe it's just a bug?
Longshot wrote:Hey all. I am working on a importer from DDI compendium to Rumble format for use with this framework. It outputs to chat in case someone wants to use it as an intermediary for their own importer. Since this is Rumble’s Post, you can look in on it here:
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... 35#p232535
I'm also really looking forward to seeing this in action. Any idea when it might be available? I'm importing all of my players' characters for them and it's taking quite a while to tweak each one.
StarMan wrote:Bravo LongShot! Given its many shortcomings, this framework needs all the help it can get. :wink: You even look to have one or two features mine doesn't ... yet! :shock: I look forward to seeing your results.
I took a look at the videos for yours StarMan. Really impressive stuff. If I was running a remote game I think I'd prefer yours, but since I'm running a local game, Rumble's is just right for me. It remembers all the things that we forget like states and whatnot without adding some of the overhead that yours seems to (I'm trying to speed up combat as much as possible). I wish someone would come up with a best-of-both-worlds.

kyuss11
Giant

Post by kyuss11 »

I only had trouble with one thing. For some reason anything that targets an Ally only seems to include the origin character. I've tried everything and I've searched everywhere that I can think of, but I can't seem to figure out how the framework figures out what an "Ally" is. Could anyone tell me?
If you could give an example of the power your using when you try this,that would be helpful.One thing that I can think of would be is make sure you check the range of the power.There is a spot like for healing checks that show how many squares to make the area to check for allies.If the number is 1 then it would only see you.With that said make sure when you make maps that you set the squares to 1 not 5 when you start a new map setting.Rumble's framework does identify allies,enemies and creatures as both targets.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Allies just means other tokens of the same type (NPC or PC) - there's no variable or setting for who an ally is beyond that.

As Kyuss says, there are a couple things to make sure are set:

1. Map units must be 1 unit per cell (rather than the default 5 per cell)
2. Make sure movement metric is set to ONE_ONE_ONE (this is in Preferences)

Epiktetus
Kobold

Post by Epiktetus »

Rumble wrote:1. Map units must be 1 unit per cell (rather than the default 5 per cell)
That's gotta be it. I'll change that and get back to you. But first I promised Starman that I'd try out the MPB.

InfinitR
Kobold

Post by InfinitR »

Hi. Just started tooling around with this. How do I get rid of the labels in the default Rumble campaign (labels say "Example Tokens/Components" and "Library Tokens - Essential For Framework Operation")

Thanks.

Deadolus
Giant

Post by Deadolus »

InfinitR wrote:Hi. Just started tooling around with this. How do I get rid of the labels in the default Rumble campaign (labels say "Example Tokens/Components" and "Library Tokens - Essential For Framework Operation")

Thanks.
If you are looking to have a clean map to build upon, add maps, your own tokens and such... (I think that is why you would want to do that)...

In MapTools, from the Menu bar at the top, select Map --> New Map. You can work on that map without breaking the framework. Ctrl+N works too... Assuming you are using Windows.

If you want to remove text boxes, you need to select the Drawing Tools (the little paint brush) button, and then the Add text label to map. (the little "T") button, select the text you want to remove, and hit delete.

I hope that helps.

Slayve2DnD
Dragon

Post by Slayve2DnD »

There's no support for Rumble's Framework anymore. At least not this one, and its bulky/slow (used it myself for a while and it was a great ride). StarMan's MPB is much lighter/faster with all the same functions plus more (with minor changes in how you use the tokens) with great support.

http://macropolicebox.host56.com/ to sign up and get the framework. Has a few videos on how to get started as well here http://macropolicebox.host56.com/index. ... ing-videos

You can find the forum thread where at we do some bug-reporting and discussion- http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=20749
I'm not retarded...I'm a simple creature...there is a difference.

Longshot
Giant

Post by Longshot »

FYI:
If you're a DM that uses Rumble Framework V5, and have a DDI account, and want to import NPCs from the compendium with a time-saver tool, my first release of my importer is available here:
http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... 21#p242221

All I ask is that you let me know what doesn't import properly to save me the trouble of performing hundreds of test to see what breaks it.
Last edited by Longshot on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deadolus
Giant

Post by Deadolus »

Slayve2DnD wrote:There's no support for Rumble's Framework anymore. At least not this one, and its bulky/slow (used it myself for a while and it was a great ride). StarMan's MPB is much lighter/faster with all the same functions plus more (with minor changes in how you use the tokens) with great support....
Thanks Slayve2DnD, a couple points...

1) Rumble does answer questions regarding his FW, but you are right, he is personally not providing fixes anymore... Others have though. When required I send Rumble a PM. He has answered everyone I have ever sent.

As for the slowness you speak, there can be a lot of causes for that, not all the FW's issue. My group keeps token graphics quite small, and thus have avoided most performance issues that would cause us to want to switch.

2) I am aware of StarMan's FW. There have been a number of post in this thread about it. Frankly, they are off topic for this thread... I hope this is the last one I need to read.

In summary, Rumble's FW has everything I need to run a successful 4e session, my player's like and know it well. We have been using a very long time. Changing now is not in the cards...

...but thanks for the sales job.

I may look again to StarMan's work if he works on a D&D Next FW. Hopefully, lots of people unite to build a great one that is both fast and easy for us non-coders. I'll look for that thread when the time comes. Info on it need not be posted here.

Thanks.

Longshot
Giant

Post by Longshot »

Hey Mr. Rumble, what is the preferred use of This Target/Any Target setting in the powers with a damage mod?

Slayve2DnD
Dragon

Post by Slayve2DnD »

Nice, well thought out, diplomatic reply. Took some time so it didn't come off wrong, thank you. I wasn't throwing a sales pitch, that's not my job. If you look far back into the pages of this thread you will see many posts I have made as well about the framework when I used it. I used the FW from back in V3. I understand Rumble may respond in PM's to questions and some of you have taken up the task of fixing and editing a project. That is commendable, I'm glad you're keeping the legacy alive. I had to switch FW's though, necessary since one of my players had a slower Mac laptop and it could take a minute or more before I ever saw what he did and my comp at the time was no slouch, though it has since had a major overhaul. This program doesn't require much and the FW's shouldn't either to run it without game crippling lag, as that would off-put some players, so I merely suggested a lighter faster powerful option that work along the same lines, where there is a greater presence of the FW creator for bug fixing. I'm not downplaying Rumbles FW at all, it has a nice ease-of-use for new players who have oodles of time on their hands or playing in a face-to-face game. Just a matter of preference. Props to Rumble for paving the way.
I'm not retarded...I'm a simple creature...there is a difference.

Return to “D&D 4e Frameworks”