Rumble's 4E Framework, Version 5 - Discussion

Framework(s) for D&D 4e, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Rumble
Deity

Re: Rumble's 4E Framework, Version 5 - Discussion

Post by Rumble »

You're welcome! Glad you like it.

I don't ask for donations for these things, both because they're fun and because I want to avoid drawing the attention of the lidless, burning eye of WotC.

Kethoth
Kobold

Post by Kethoth »

I am having one difficulty;

How do you turn your Character Builder file into a .pdf? I can't import my powers.

Thanks for you help!

Kethoth
Kobold

Post by Kethoth »

Actually, I found out I could use my 'Insider' subscription to look up any power and copy it. Hoorayyy!!!

Now, how do I get magic missile to work properly?

And why do I get a message with some of my power imports to Value for PriDmgDetails? I usually get 3 of them in a row...

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Kethoth wrote:Actually, I found out I could use my 'Insider' subscription to look up any power and copy it. Hoorayyy!!!

Now, how do I get magic missile to work properly?

And why do I get a message with some of my power imports to Value for PriDmgDetails? I usually get 3 of them in a row...

What do you mean "work properly?" Do you mean apply damage even though there's no attack roll, etc? I know someone here figured that out already (I can't take a look now) - I think you can set the attack type to "auto", so that there's no attack, it just hits.

For the second question, there must be a mistake in the importer - does it seem to work even so? Or are powers missing information? What that popup means is that somewhere in the process I'm looking for the variable "PriDmgDetails," but that variable is not available (it wasn't initialized). I'll check when I get a chance and see what's going on there.

Kethoth
Kobold

Post by Kethoth »

With regards to Magic Missile, I figured out 1/2 of the problem. I was importing it as a standard attack. If you click the button that says "this attack deals no direct damage" it seems to import properly. It no longer asks me for that damage input.

Now, when I use it, I get the following result;

Magic Missile (Standard action)
A glowing blue bolt of magical energy hurtles from your finger and unerringly strikes your target.

Villain: 4 vs. AC, miss « '' = '' =  »

Effect: 2 + Intelligence modifier force damage. Special: If the implement used with this power has an enhancement bonus, add that bonus to the damage. In addition, you can use this power as a ranged basic attack.

I edited the power in the /macro/general/edit character/powers editor, and did the following;

Gave it a standard damage of 7.
Gave it +50 to hit.
Added flavour lines.

Now it does this;

Magic Missile (Standard action)

A glowing blue bolt of magical energy hurtles from your finger and unerringly strikes your target.

Villain: 60 vs. AC, 7 force damage « '' = '' =  » « '' = '' =  »

Hit: Hits Automatically!

That works, but it is sloppy. I wonder why the 'effect' isn't working properly?

Thanks.

Kethoth.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

It probably didn't put an effect line in - you can go and edit it. Also, go to Preferences (under the Edit menu), and make sure to select "Use tooltips for Inline Rolls".

Did you try setting the attack type to "auto"? That's designed for things that automatically hit. You need to do that in the power editor.

Kethoth
Kobold

Post by Kethoth »

Sorry...one more...

I copied a troll into my campaign as a stat block from Insider. The first time I did so with attacks. It really jumbled it up, so I started over.

Next, I just imported the stats, and got fewer requests for values (3 instead of about 7 with many errors). I then just used F6 to import powers, also copied individually from Insider, but I can't find where I can edit these powers. This monster does not have the /macro/general/manage option of a character.

Is there a way to get to the same editing screen for monsters?

Thanks.

Kethoth.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

By the way, the "attack type" setting is configured under the "Range" area on the power card. That's probably the wrong place for it (that is, click on the range info and you'll see the attack type drop-down).

As for the importing, what you need to do is select the troll, and then hit F4. If that doesn't work, select the troll, go to the campaign macros window, and run the macro "Add Default Macros". That will populate the token with the basic set of macros.

Kethoth
Kobold

Post by Kethoth »

Rumble wrote:It probably didn't put an effect line in - you can go and edit it. Also, go to Preferences (under the Edit menu), and make sure to select "Use tooltips for Inline Rolls".

Did you try setting the attack type to "auto"? That's designed for things that automatically hit. You need to do that in the power editor.
I tried it with an effect line, which resulted in the first output (above); it didn't actually damage the target, but listed the damage in the dialogue box.

I Can't find "Use tooltips for Inline Rolls" in the Preferences menu. I don't see it on any of the 4 tabs (I am using the most up-to-date version of the Framework).

Thanks again.

Kethoth
Kobold

Post by Kethoth »

Rumble wrote:By the way, the "attack type" setting is configured under the "Range" area on the power card. That's probably the wrong place for it (that is, click on the range info and you'll see the attack type drop-down).

As for the importing, what you need to do is select the troll, and then hit F4. If that doesn't work, select the troll, go to the campaign macros window, and run the macro "Add Default Macros". That will populate the token with the basic set of macros.
BINGO! I would not have found 'auto' there, if not for your guidance. MM is working like a charm!

Now, back to my troll...

Kethoth
Kobold

Post by Kethoth »

Rumble wrote: As for the importing, what you need to do is select the troll, and then hit F4. If that doesn't work, select the troll, go to the campaign macros window, and run the macro "Add Default Macros". That will populate the token with the basic set of macros.
BINGO again!

I'm golden now. Thanks for all your help. This resource is the best thing to happen to my DND career (30 years of it now) since the Red Boxed Set.

Kethoth.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Kethoth wrote:
Rumble wrote:By the way, the "attack type" setting is configured under the "Range" area on the power card. That's probably the wrong place for it (that is, click on the range info and you'll see the attack type drop-down).

BINGO! I would not have found 'auto' there, if not for your guidance. MM is working like a charm!

Now, back to my troll...

Yeah, like I said...that's not the best place for it. In fact, it took me about 5 minutes to figure out where I put it so I could tell you where it was. :oops:

I will be revisiting that very soon, and putting the attack type somewhere relevant, like, say...the attack bonus field.

Deadolus
Giant

Post by Deadolus »

Rumble wrote:
Kethoth wrote:...Now, how do I get magic missile to work properly?
What do you mean "work properly?" Do you mean apply damage even though there's no attack roll, etc? I know someone here figured that out already (I can't take a look now) - I think you can set the attack type to "auto", so that there's no attack, it just hits.
I think that was me, way back. I know this question on how to was already answered, but here is how I setup the power for reference. The "+50 to hit" does not work well for a couple of reasons, rolling a 1 always misses, and you can't crit with Magic Missile.
EditPower.PNG
EditPower.PNG (41.95 KiB) Viewed 2828 times
EditPowerRange.PNG
EditPowerRange.PNG (26.43 KiB) Viewed 2828 times

Deadolus
Giant

Post by Deadolus »

Hello again.

I just saw something as I was working on a token that I have not seen before. I am not sure if it is a bug or a feature :wink: I just don't know what it is.

I have a yellow arrow pointing right on one of the monster tokens. It is similar to the green arrows that indicate the token that has initiative, only I don't know what it means, and how to get rid or it.

Any idea what it is?

I have attached the token that has the issue for your reference.
Attachments
Nightwalker.rptok
(1.1 MiB) Downloaded 90 times

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

facing??? right click-> clear facing. does that get rid of it?
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Return to “D&D 4e Frameworks”