[Rumble 5.01] BUG: Close Burst forms cross instead of square

Framework(s) for D&D 4e, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Guy Dude
Giant

[Rumble 5.01] BUG: Close Burst forms cross instead of square

Post by Guy Dude »

Me and another guy were testing stuff today, and came across this

Burst: A burst starts in an origin square and extends in all directions to a specified number of squares from the origin square. For example, the cleric power flame strike is a burst 2 within 10 squares of you, which means the power originates in a square up to 10 squares away from you and affects the origin square and every square within 2 squares of it (a 5-square-by-5-square area). Unless a power description notes otherwise, a close burst you create does not affect you. However, an area burst you create does affect you. A burst affects a target only if there is line of effect from the burst’s origin square to the target.

Guy Dude
Giant

Re: [Rumble 5.01] BUG: Close Burst forms cross instead of sq

Post by Guy Dude »

There's also a desyncing problem if you use an AoE on too many tokens, but I'm guessing that is less a problem with the Rumble Framework and more that MapTool simply cannot process so many macro-heavy tokens at once.

Both of us were using a stack size of 10. What is the recommended amount?

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Recommended stack size is 4. I have not needed anything larger than that (in fact, larger stack sizes impact overall performance negatively); but I have not tried to attack more than probably 16 tokens at a time.

As for the cross, make sure your movement metric is set to ONE_ONE_ONE (you can find this under Edit -> Preferences in MapTool). Movement metric for D&D 4E is ONE_ONE_ONE (e.g. diagonals count the same as straightline movement), and this framework is not equipped to handle any other metric.

However, unfortunately, movement metrics are a client-side setting, so the GM and players can have different settings for this.

Guy Dude
Giant

Post by Guy Dude »

Yea, now I see it. Seems like theres been quite a bit of that sort of thing lately. Is there a way to include recommended preferences with the framework?

Could different Preferences be part of the reason for desyncing?
Last edited by Guy Dude on Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Guy Dude wrote:Yea, now I see it. Seems like theres been quite a bit of that sort of thing lately.

Could different Preferences be part of the reason for desyncing?

What do you mean by desyncing? (to the second question, campaign properties and client preferences are independent, and I can't affect preferences from the framework).

Guy Dude
Giant

Post by Guy Dude »

During the session yesterday and today's testing, we had the GM and player clients showing different results:

Yesterday the entire session had the initiative panel frozen in round 2 for the players, but the GM saw everything proceed as normal; our tokens were highlighted but we couldnt end our own turns.

Today, after the player used that massive AoE attack his client wasn't displaying all of the dead minions properly. (as seen in the images above)

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

I have seen that happen regardless of framework (I play in a game with a group where I join remotely. They don't use my framework, but every so often I'll get desynced from their game).

However, it's quite possible that the processing load for, say, 25 targets could be halting the network heartbeat or something. I really couldn't tell you - if you can make it consistently desync by running certain powers, then it's pretty conclusive that something in the framework affects it...but I really don't know what that would be besides overloading the java virtual machine somehow, or causing a race condition, or something like that.

Guy Dude
Giant

Post by Guy Dude »

Rumble wrote:I have seen that happen regardless of framework (I play in a game with a group where I join remotely. They don't use my framework, but every so often I'll get desynced from their game).
How do you guys normally fix that? Relogging onto the server didn't help for me.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Rumble wrote: However, unfortunately, movement metrics are a client-side setting, so the GM and players can have different settings for this.
Until version.next that is anyway... :mrgreen:
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Return to “D&D 4e Frameworks”