[Gamma World] Framework Adaptation

Framework(s) for D&D 4e, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Rumble
Deity

Re: [Gamma World] Framework Adaptation

Post by Rumble »

Glad I could help! Let me know when* you run into a bug.

* When, not if. I've never had a perfect framework build, and I never plan to. :)

c0rphan
Kobold

Post by c0rphan »

There seems to be some kind of bug with powers that don't use weapons. I've tried Telekinetic Wave and Terrifying Shriek so far and they both have given me the same problem. Using those powers prompts you to supply a wpnName value. The end results seems to be that it won't add your level bonus to attack in even if you edit the power to specifically include that. The only thing I've gotten to work is to just put in a straight number for the attack bonus.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Ah, found it - one line fix, it looks like. If you're comfortable editing macros, you can replace the macro ExecutePower, on the token Lib:4e, with the version that's attached to this post. I will also post an updated version to the first post in this thread. Thanks for pointing out the bug!
Attachments
execute-power-fixed.mtmacro
(3.63 KiB) Downloaded 170 times

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Looks pretty awesome! I'm setting up for a game and a few questions / bugs

In the Edit Character the Physical and Poison aren't in the same order on the Resist tab as they are on the Vulnerability tab. I think it works just fine, but might cause some confusion.

It'd be nice if there was the ability to stop rolling up a new character - I hit "Create Character" on accident when I meant to hit something else and you can only either roll a new one up or roll another one up. Could see some accidental character over-writing-ness there.

Does the script builder work? In b82 I get: Unknown macro rfw.scriptBuilder@Lib:PowerLibrary when trying it from an alpha card edit.

What are the colors for the macro buttons? I have a melee that is red (which used to your other fw as an encounter) but wasn't quite sure... I see another pink alpha.

So far it is looking pretty good... I like the character sheet and it should make for a fun and wacky quick game.

Edit: When editing Omega Tech tables it doesn't default to Omega as type (it defaults to Alpha). Also, would be nice to have a generic Basic Attack macro added to all PC tokens (see pg 75)

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

We played and had a ton of fun. Good times! Overall, this performed very well. One of the players was new to your frameworks, the others play in my 4E game with your 4E-heavy framework. They enjoyed it... there'a few calcs I want to check on (I noticed at one point a critical didn't add anything but the dice to the damage) and some healing stuff I need to verify works right that didn't seem to show up right in game (the +2 to defense didn't seem to auto clear after a second wind, for instance, and the healing surge asked for a surge value).

Ended in a TPK, but that's fine... they all were excited and want to try again next time starting at the same encounter.

mrchrislackey
Kobold

Post by mrchrislackey »

I'm brand new to maptools and I tried to load in the campaign setting for GW and I got this error...

Any help?

mrchrislackey
Kobold

Post by mrchrislackey »

Sorry. I just needed to update my maptools! Thanks! This stuff is great!

CJL

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Does the script builder work? In b82 I get: Unknown macro rfw.scriptBuilder@Lib:PowerLibrary when trying it from an alpha card edit.
I don't know - I've never tried it from there.
What are the colors for the macro buttons? I have a melee that is red (which used to your other fw as an encounter) but wasn't quite sure... I see another pink alpha.
I...don't know. Recent updates to MapTool have screwed button colors all up.
Edit: When editing Omega Tech tables it doesn't default to Omega as type (it defaults to Alpha). Also, would be nice to have a generic Basic Attack macro added to all PC tokens (see pg 75)
Use the "Basic Attacks" campaign macro - it should create them and default them to the higher of the relevant stats.

I've posted an update to address the script builder thing, and fix the "default to omega" issue. I will not be fixing anything to do with button colors; they'll just be whatever they end up being.

Hawke
Great Wyrm

Post by Hawke »

Turns out on the button color thing, I think I may have been confused about something that was an encounter that I thought wasn't. I incorrectly assumed all the Origin Novice Powers were at-will since they are all green in the GW book. Upon closer inspection, the one that showed up Red in your FW was indeed an encounter if you read the power closely.

Don't mind the other colors at all, I just thought there may have been a different system - but looks good now that I think I understand it better :)

Thanks for the update! I'll let you know if I run into anything else, I appreciate the additions considering you're not actually even playing GW.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Hawke wrote:Turns out on the button color thing, I think I may have been confused about something that was an encounter that I thought wasn't. I incorrectly assumed all the Origin Novice Powers were at-will since they are all green in the GW book. Upon closer inspection, the one that showed up Red in your FW was indeed an encounter if you read the power closely.

Don't mind the other colors at all, I just thought there may have been a different system - but looks good now that I think I understand it better :)

Thanks for the update! I'll let you know if I run into anything else, I appreciate the additions considering you're not actually even playing GW.
Actually, I'm playing it (I play in a game run by DevoDog here; it uses his framework) - I just don't run it.

(Odd Trivia: I've only ever used the "Slim 4E" framework in play, and only for 3 discrete sessions; I've never used the others in actual play, ever).

cootsmagoo
Kobold

Post by cootsmagoo »

c0rphan wrote:There seems to be some kind of bug with powers that don't use weapons. I've tried Telekinetic Wave and Terrifying Shriek so far and they both have given me the same problem. Using those powers prompts you to supply a wpnName value. The end results seems to be that it won't add your level bonus to attack in even if you edit the power to specifically include that. The only thing I've gotten to work is to just put in a straight number for the attack bonus.
I'm having a similar problem, though without the prompt for wpnName. I'm still new to Maptool, and Gamma World for that matter, but I don't think I see the level being applied to the attack roll at all. I'll give you an example:

Telekinetic Wave attacks with Int + Level vs. Fort
When I roll the attack, the tooltip shows:
+12: 1d20
+1: Total Attack Bonus (N/A)
+0 Combat Advantage
+0 Misc. Other Mods

I was assuming that the "+1: Total Attack Bonus" was the character's level, but even if I change the character's level to say, 5, I'll still get that "+1."

I'm using GammaWorld_RFW_Final_020111.cmpgn, which I believe is the most up to date version, and I downloaded the execute-power-fixed.mtmacro file you posted in response to this, but I'm not sure a) if the most recent .cmpgn file has already implemented it, or b) how to do it manually. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, one other question. I'm assuming there's no macro designed to level up a character? You just update the Level entry in the token's Properties tab, correct?

Great FW, btw. I'm loving the attention to detail and all the options you provide are such a great help. Since I'm playing with people new to the game, it'll help that we won't have to waste time looking up powers and such. Thank you!

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Identified and fixed. To update your copy, replace the macro rfw.getAttackLine on the token Lib:4e with the macro attached to this post. The macro is in the "Power Creation" group.

I'll post an updated framework with this bugfix in a few minutes.
Attachments
rfwgetAttackLine.mtmacro
(958 Bytes) Downloaded 143 times

cootsmagoo
Kobold

Post by cootsmagoo »

That's perfect! Thanks, Rumble. Cheers.

Ian_Backlund
Kobold

Post by Ian_Backlund »

I like the framework.

I think I found a bug though. So I was going through pre-creating the monsters for the "The Seading of the Iron King". I figured I would create one of each kind of monster in a "Monster Compendium" map and then copy the monsters I needed onto the game maps.

Turns out there is a weird bug when I copy the tokens around. Say I create a token called "Porker Marauder" in the monster compendium. I copy this token, switch maps and paste it into the "Stupendico Exterior" map. Now I have "Porker Marauder 1", "Porker Marauder 2" and "Porker Marauder 3".

If I open the Quicksheet for any of these characters and try to use a power, I get this error in the chat window:

Error executing "switchToken": the token name or id "Porker Marauder" is unknown.

But if I re-name one of the tokens in this map to "Porker Marauder" (without the number), then all of the quicksheet powers start working again.

It's seems like a token with the original name must be present on the active map before any to the copied token-powers will work.

Kind of a small thing, but it took me a while to work around.

Anyway, love the framework!

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Ian_Backlund wrote:I like the framework.

I think I found a bug though. So I was going through pre-creating the monsters for the "The Seading of the Iron King". I figured I would create one of each kind of monster in a "Monster Compendium" map and then copy the monsters I needed onto the game maps.

Turns out there is a weird bug when I copy the tokens around. Say I create a token called "Porker Marauder" in the monster compendium. I copy this token, switch maps and paste it into the "Stupendico Exterior" map. Now I have "Porker Marauder 1", "Porker Marauder 2" and "Porker Marauder 3".

If I open the Quicksheet for any of these characters and try to use a power, I get this error in the chat window:

Error executing "switchToken": the token name or id "Porker Marauder" is unknown.

But if I re-name one of the tokens in this map to "Porker Marauder" (without the number), then all of the quicksheet powers start working again.

It's seems like a token with the original name must be present on the active map before any to the copied token-powers will work.

Kind of a small thing, but it took me a while to work around.

Anyway, love the framework!
Hm. I know what's happening, and it's a deeper bug than you may think. See, the character sheets are "cached" on the token, but when you copy it, it's remembering the original token name in the cached information. This is a problem because it will only be linked to the original token on the map, and freaks out (as you saw) when there isn't a token with that name.

This will involve an update on my part, because I'll need to put a way to strip the cached information so it rebuilds the character's quicksheet correctly.

Return to “D&D 4e Frameworks”