[Rumble v5.02] FREQ: Stealth and Bluff disabling

Framework(s) for D&D 4e, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

Generic_Rogue
Cave Troll

[Rumble v5.02] FREQ: Stealth and Bluff disabling

Post by Generic_Rogue »

Can you make it an option to disable it or possibly make it so a npc has to have a state activated for it to be included in the first place. We were playing on a map with lots of npc spread out, and every time someone tried to stealth it would bog down the system.

Rumble
Deity

Re: [Rumble v5.02] FREQ: Stealth and Bluff disabling

Post by Rumble »

Generic_Rogue wrote:Can you make it an option to disable it or possibly make it so a npc has to have a state activated for it to be included in the first place. We were playing on a map with lots of npc spread out, and every time someone tried to stealth it would bog down the system.

Which would you prefer? Disabling "stealth checking" via the check dialog, or requiring it to check for a state? Or both (e.g., if NPCs are included at all, they have to have a state like "Actively Watching" or "Observing")?

The "both" option might be good - that way you can completely disable it for maximum speed, but if you do want to have it, you're not forced to have every NPC in the world checked at once.

Generic_Rogue
Cave Troll

Post by Generic_Rogue »

You're probably right that both would be good. That way it doesn't do the looping at all if completely disabled.

Another question I have is about state tracking. If you have a power that puts a status on that ends on the enemies next turn. Have you seen any issues with that lasting too long? The way it seems to work is if you go in the round before the enemy and use an end on target's next turn. The state lasts for the next turn of the enemy and then ends at the end of the next turn on the next round. This effectively means the state is on for 2 turns. Not sure if its supposed to act like that

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Generic_Rogue wrote:You're probably right that both would be good. That way it doesn't do the looping at all if completely disabled.

Another question I have is about state tracking. If you have a power that puts a status on that ends on the enemies next turn. Have you seen any issues with that lasting too long? The way it seems to work is if you go in the round before the enemy and use an end on target's next turn. The state lasts for the next turn of the enemy and then ends at the end of the next turn on the next round. This effectively means the state is on for 2 turns. Not sure if its supposed to act like that
Probably shouldn't work like that. I'll have to look at it. I hate state tracking. :cry:

JonathanTheBlack
Dragon

Post by JonathanTheBlack »

Rumble wrote:
Generic_Rogue wrote:You're probably right that both would be good. That way it doesn't do the looping at all if completely disabled.

Probably shouldn't work like that. I'll have to look at it. I hate state tracking. :cry:
Me too. That's why I removed it from my framework! :D

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

JonathanTheBlack wrote:Me too. That's why I removed it from my framework! :D

Yep, totally agree that's the way to go. It's an option in my lighter-weight framework (which is the framework I use) but there's a manual option as well and I find vastly prefer tracking it manually (I also prefer to do damage manually, I find). There are so many fiddly issues and exceptions to code around.

I would remove it from this one, but I fear there would be a pitchforks-and-torches revolt. o.O

JonathanTheBlack
Dragon

Automatic condition tracking is painful, but creating a conditions list along with their durations isn't. Just make it a frame that updates when you select a new token.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

JonathanTheBlack wrote:Automatic condition tracking is painful, but creating a conditions list along with their durations isn't. Just make it a frame that updates when you select a new token.
Alternatively, just remember. :D

JonathanTheBlack
Dragon

Rumble wrote:
JonathanTheBlack wrote:Automatic condition tracking is painful, but creating a conditions list along with their durations isn't. Just make it a frame that updates when you select a new token.
If you spent even half an encounter in one of my games... you'd realize why I need a frame just to track conditions. I use what I call underlings, which are half xp/half hp of standard foes in D&D 4th edition... this lets me put twice as many monsters on the board. My players tend to have huge running battles that often trigger multiple encounters without any rest in between and a condition tracker will make my job much easier. Even if it's not automated.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

JonathanTheBlack wrote:
Rumble wrote:
If you spent even half an encounter in one of my games... you'd realize why I need a frame just to track conditions. I use what I call underlings, which are half xp/half hp of standard foes in D&D 4th edition... this lets me put twice as many monsters on the board. My players tend to have huge running battles that often trigger multiple encounters without any rest in between and a condition tracker will make my job much easier. Even if it's not automated.

I was being facetious. Generally, I just use the "remember" approach, but it can get hairy (my players help distribute the processing power, though). I haven't created a reminder frame, mostly because of screen real estate issues and laziness. How complex is your reminder frame? Is it just "Hero is Dazed, expires end of Goblin's next turn" or does it list more detail, like:

Code: Select all

Condition     Victim     Expiration     Source    Round
Stunned      Hero     End of Turn     Goblin 2     8
or some other method.

JonathanTheBlack
Dragon

I haven't created it yet. I am going to take a simple approach and just put the image of the state in a list with it's duration next to it. Sorta like buff/debuff windows used in World of Warcraft and many other mmo's. I might put the source of the condition in as well, but dunno yet. I have plenty of screen left since I use two monitors to run.

:D End of your next turn (Goblin 01)
:( Start of Goblin Hexer 02's turn (Goblin 02)
8) Save Sustains (Self)
:oops: Save ends (Goblin 02)

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

I gotcha - I went ahead and experimented with something like that and it turned out much like what you have (oddly, I didn't think to put the state image in - just the name!). It's a single tracking screen for all tokens, not a per-token screen (though I suppose it wouldn't be hard to do, I'm just tracking it all centrally at the moment). It looks sorta like:

Code: Select all

Current Turn: Hero              Current Round: 3
Hero's Conditions
    Dazed     Goblin 2     ENT      2
    Slowed    Goblin 2     ENT     2
Goblin's Conditions
    OngoingDamage   Hero    SE    -
and so forth. It's much more attractive, of course, with all the formatting. But it's a good idea, so thank you!

Return to “D&D 4e Frameworks”