[Rumble v5.0.5 BUG] : No bkwd-compatible support for Tokens

Framework(s) for D&D 4e, including Veggiesama's.

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei, giliath, Gamerdude, jay, Mr.Ice

DarkWiz58
Cave Troll

[Rumble v5.0.5 BUG] : No bkwd-compatible support for Tokens

Post by DarkWiz58 »

Tokens created under, say, 5.0.3, cannot be used in 5.0.5. The internal structure is different and there is no conversion helper that I've been able to find.

This applies to Powers (e.g.: doesn't recognize Free/No-Action), Skills (editing them shows great weirdness), Feats (locks up when trying to edit), and possibly more.

However, I believe that if you re-import a character via parser-source with all its Power Cards etc. it will work since it is building the new data structures for 5.0.5.

(The new Skills table entries in Character Editing now matches the books and automatically adjusts when leveling-up. Hooray! Thanks Rumble ! )

If there is a way to convert older tokens to 5.0.5, I'd be very glad to use it on everything.

Rumble
Deity

Re: [Rumble v5.0.5 BUG] : No bkwd-compatible support for Tok

Post by Rumble »

I can't address the Feats issue - I don't recall making any changes that affected feats at all, unless it's linked to the "free/no action" issue. I also can't reproduce the issue - can you send a token you were trying to update?

Skills are a major change, with no real "path" to update them - the various skill properties are now used in completely different ways. However, it might be possible to write a quick update script that at least deducts the ability and half-level value from the already stored skill bonus, so that it's closer. It would not reflect training, though - or rather, the update script would not be able to identify what skills were trained, since that was not previously recorded by the framework. I'll post an updater for that shortly.

Can you explain what you mean by "doesn't recognize Free/No action" powers? I don't remember changing anything substantial in power editing (in fact, I don't remember making any changes there at all).

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

Here's the update macro to correct the skill bonuses on older tokens. What it does is get the value from the property "Skills," which used to hold the entire skill bonus for a given skill (including ability, level, racial, training, etc. components). Drop it in your Global or Campaign window, select the token you want to modify, and run the macro.

It then subtracts from that the value of the linked ability, and the half-level bonus. This leaves a new value that is everything other than ability and level bonus. This new smaller value is stored back in the property, while the rest are automatically added back in.

This should approach fixing this issue, though you'd still need to go back in and mark down which are trained, if you so choose.

Finally, though, I am not going to guarantee backward compatibility as it goes forward. Hopefully there won't be any changes quite as drastic as the skill revision, and I hope to maintain an update/upgrade process, but I can't make any promises.
Attachments
update_skill_bonuses.mtmacro
(931 Bytes) Downloaded 55 times

DarkWiz58
Cave Troll

Post by DarkWiz58 »

Thanks much for the quick reply.

The Skills issue is very odd. I am completely discounting the issue of trained or not-trained sums.

But I was working with a number of well-formed 503 tokens. One of them, simply dragged in, showed things like "ability+1/2 level" of 51 for a second level character (?!?!) on two of the skills and zero on all the others. Very strange. It may have something to do with whether or not their Basic page had been edited/saved yet or not. (Might be an underlying bug you cannot directly control, like JSON object overflow.)

WRT Powers, one Token had a lot of them to move. Taking a 503 version Token unmodified, unexamined, and unedited under the 505 framework, I used the Copy Power editor function to move some over to a freshly created (image+F4) Token. That's when the Powers did not end up in the right places in the button list (all showed Standard Action when many were Free- or No-Action in the description before and after).

I understand about the no guarantees issue: not looking for one. It's just there were too many strange things to allow one of our campaigns to migrate to 505 today-- PCs, NPCs, trap-NPCs, monster-NPCs, etc... all seemed to need unexpected hand tweaking, and more than one of them (but fewer than 5) froze in the Character Editor.

Sorry; I can't characterized which cause the problems right now, but I'll work on it to try to give you the edges of an envelope.

Rumble
Deity

Post by Rumble »

DarkWiz58 wrote:Thanks much for the quick reply.

The Skills issue is very odd. I am completely discounting the issue of trained or not-trained sums.

But I was working with a number of well-formed 503 tokens. One of them, simply dragged in, showed things like "ability+1/2 level" of 51 for a second level character (?!?!) on two of the skills and zero on all the others. Very strange. It may have something to do with whether or not their Basic page had been edited/saved yet or not. (Might be an underlying bug you cannot directly control, like JSON object overflow.)
Okay, that's most likely a string concatenation error - it's being told to add up 5 + something + 1, but when something ends up being a blank string, it instead assumes you want to concatenate 5 and 1 into a string.
WRT Powers, one Token had a lot of them to move. Taking a 503 version Token unmodified, unexamined, and unedited under the 505 framework, I used the Copy Power editor function to move some over to a freshly created (image+F4) Token. That's when the Powers did not end up in the right places in the button list (all showed Standard Action when many were Free- or No-Action in the description before and after).

I understand about the no guarantees issue: not looking for one. It's just there were too many strange things to allow one of our campaigns to migrate to 505 today-- PCs, NPCs, trap-NPCs, monster-NPCs, etc... all seemed to need unexpected hand tweaking, and more than one of them (but fewer than 5) froze in the Character Editor.

Sorry; I can't characterized which cause the problems right now, but I'll work on it to try to give you the edges of an envelope.
Okay, that is odd. If you can later on attach a token you might have wanted to update, I can track it down - maybe Copy Powers isn't working right, or something.

DarkWiz58
Cave Troll

Post by DarkWiz58 »

A PM contains two tokens, a Source and a Sink. They show the Power copying problem.
-Regards, Alex

Return to “D&D 4e Frameworks”